Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy Rainstorm Friday night into Sunday morning

NJwx85

5 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Usually too windy here for me for accurate rain totals with my exposed elevation. Radar scope storm total precip mode is usually pretty close to actual amounts. It is only showing the heavier amounts from the Highlands and to the NE in a narrow stripe. It seems accurate showing around an inch in Middletown now

see my post...it is wrong.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

I'll bite. But why are the estimated amounts further west correct? 

I don't know bro..or do I care.

Just saying....if you are going off radar totals for this event...use with your best situation...wrong..I confirmed it.

Nobody got 2 inches of rain in this event.....you may have had a solid down pour.

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Now up to 1.41" of rain for the day.

legit total

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I wonder if people landing can see the snow when they first drop below the clouds or if the ceiling is still too low.

I do 100K miles a year. 60 K domestic.

I close the window typically....hate bad weather.

Worst flight ever was a take off from SeaTac...

15 minutes ago, Animal said:

I don't know bro..or do I care.

Just saying....if you are going off radar totals for this event...use with your best situation...wrong..I confirmed it.

Nobody got 2 inches of rain in this event.....you may have had a solid down pour.

Well then the ice crystals affected a narrow stripe while most everywhere else it seems in the reported ballpark. Got it. 

2 hours ago, nzucker said:

I know 48F here in the Bronx. Incredie for this late in the season. Reminds me of the 46F high on 5/14/2010. Glad I didn't put the coat away.

Yeah, this feels like a March storm, or at least early April.  The thought of the heat next week is keeping me going though.

22 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

5132.jpg

The radar beam increases in height with distance from the radar. That's why the echoes look so heavy toward the edge of the radar in this case-the height of the radar beam out there catches the melting ice. Melting ice has high reflectivity and causes yellow/orange echoes.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The radar beam increases in height with distance from the radar. That's why the echoes look so heavy toward the edge of the radar in this case-the height of the radar beam out there catches the melting ice. Melting ice has high reflectivity and causes yellow/orange echoes.

I get that. But areas immediately west of that enhancement and in range are accurate. All I know is my mulch in growing season usually doesn't puddle up unless we thunderstorm. 

55 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

People east of Albany and western mass are getting hammered

I've been on the southeast edge of the heavy stuff for a few hours and I can tell y'all that the high reflectivity you're debating is only partially correct.  It's been coming down hard, not torrential, and will add up to well over an inch and maybe close to two inches when all is said and done.  I took a ride this afternoon and it's absolutely pouring north of here where the shot below shows it is, won't surprise me at all to see totals of 3+".  

44 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

5132.jpg

Bright banding FTW.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
As of 726 PM EDT...KENX radar imagery shows steady rainfall
over all of eastern New York and western New England. According
to surface observations, rainfall is falling not quite as hard
as radar would suggest, and this is probably due to some bright
banding within the radar data, as the higher echos on radar are
occurring where dual-pol variables suggest that melting layer is
located.

As a result, light to occasionally moderate rainfall is ongoing
over the area, as a wave of low pressure slowly lifts northeast

Archived