Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 10th-11th Severe Threats

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the "tornado" reports over the past hour I suspect are gustnadoes. Sounds like one of the circulations actually produced a brief tornado, but if there actually were tornadoes, you'd have spotter network reports flying in. Just got back from that same area this afternoon. Farmers have been doing a lot of wheat harvesting. Lots of dust airborne. 

3 hours ago, David Reimer said:

Many of the "tornado" reports over the past hour I suspect are gustnadoes. Sounds like one of the circulations actually produced a brief tornado, but if there actually were tornadoes, you'd have spotter network reports flying in. Just got back from that same area this afternoon. Farmers have been doing a lot of wheat harvesting. Lots of dust airborne. 

We were a couple hundred yards from the Davidson tornado/Gustnado/whatever it was, it had a funnel at one point, but it looked to emanate from the outflow, so I think it's Gustnado. It may have actually been two different gustnadoes, or at least it weakened and restrengthened quickly.  We observed the gustnado(es) from 7:54 to 7:57 before bailing south to get out of its way. There was definitely one tornado in the Cattanooga and Loveand area around 8:30. 

Yeah, was right under the meso near and just E of Davidson and none of those spin-ups were convincing tornadoes. It's possible there was a bird fart or two that weren't true gustnadoes, but meh. The middling structure 30 minutes earlier near Vernon was more interesting. The suffocating hordes, media chasers passing at 110 mph in dense traffic, and roid raging cops berating us for no reason were all more memorable. My "chasing is no fun inside this radius from OKC" number grows exponentially each year lately.

37 minutes ago, monsoonman1 said:

Looks like there was a tornado (or two) in the northern Tulsa metro. Jeff P. tweeted out some damage photos.

I saw the funnel about 2/3 tp the ground about 2-3 miles from me. It apparently touched down briefly and dissolved quickly before reforming NE of there.

14 hours ago, Chinook said:

People are going 110mph to chase storms?  You'll get a ticket for going 55mph over the speed limit.

Nah, they get a pass for their LIFE SAVING coverage.. Or is it research? I can't keep up with the excuses..

1 hour ago, brettjrob said:

This. I'm done mincing words about the TV guys, particularly OKC market. Some of them need permanently removed from the roads in storm environments.

If you want it to stop, send a letter to legal counsel at the station(s).  Best if you can include evidence of it happening - perhaps a link to a video that shows it.  That's an insane amount of liability for the station to assume once it's aware it's happening.  I bet it would end immediately.

9 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

Another possible tornado a bit ago between Lindale and Gladewater.

I was on my commute home when the warning was issued. I was just south of Winona. I drove towards Big Sandy on Hwy 155. Too much rain and trees to see much, and compound in the fact that my PYKL3 app was not giving me updated velocity scans. I was on the south side of the Sabine River when one of the local TV mets streaming on the radio said the rotation was just south of Big Sandy near the Sabine River. I couldn't see anything so I bailed south to a clearing where I was able to observe some decent rotation to the east but that was it. 

TV met said there was a confirmed tornado near Hwy 14 and Hwy 16.

1 hour ago, Drz1111 said:

If you want it to stop, send a letter to legal counsel at the station(s).  Best if you can include evidence of it happening - perhaps a link to a video that shows it.  That's an insane amount of liability for the station to assume once it's aware it's happening.  I bet it would end immediately.

If you included multiple videos (or other pieces of evidence) it would stop immediately without a doubt. I'd imagine with as many amateur/professional chasers we have out there nowadays that someone DOES have video of the TV station chaser's insane and reckless behavior. To be fair though, these reckless actions are not limited to JUST the tv chasers. 

Not to derail this thread, but a few words on the storm chasing stuff. 

1.I have seen OKC tv station chasers on the air going the wrong way to get to the top of the hill, pass several do not enter signs, why should that be allowed? (This was KWTV 5/9/16) I know it is important that they get the live video, I know that viewer will react and take shelter when the see the storm but it needs to stop. 

2. I have never chased, but if a storm is moving at say 50mph do you need to do 100+mph on a country road? Could you not just go 50 and stay about a mile behind the circulation?

8 hours ago, cstrunk said:

I was on my commute home when the warning was issued. I was just south of Winona. I drove towards Big Sandy on Hwy 155. Too much rain and trees to see much, and compound in the fact that my PYKL3 app was not giving me updated velocity scans. I was on the south side of the Sabine River when one of the local TV mets streaming on the radio said the rotation was just south of Big Sandy near the Sabine River. I couldn't see anything so I bailed south to a clearing where I was able to observe some decent rotation to the east but that was it. 

TV met said there was a confirmed tornado near Hwy 14 and Hwy 16.

I noticed something was going on when I neared I-20 while driving up Hwy 69. I could see the wall cloud lowering. There was video of multiple funnels near FM 14 & 16, not sure if there was anything more definite. 

That was just one of several tornado warned storms scattered all over E TX yesterday evening.

Archived