SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upper Level System of Doom Observation and Discussion

NJwx85

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive mid-level lift on the nose of a strengthening LLJ from about 09z Friday through about 00z Saturday on the 18z NAM. 

Things shift slightly East overnight with the strongest dynamics pointed towards Eastern Long Island Friday night. 

But that's all temporary as the trough goes negative tilt and the rains begin to retrograde. 

16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

UKMET was good this past winter, I would definitely pay attention to its solution.  looks like 2 maxes starting to show up on models, the far western max and then a max 75 miles either side of I-95

You have the initial push of convection in the morning and then a secondary area that develops in the afternoon, and that is what's going to make the difference between a pedestrian 1-2" or  way more.

I think we're somewhat in danger of getting skipped over. The heaviest rains in the morning want to go more towards NE PA and then the secondary push takes over late afternoon and could pull most of the moisture offshore. That's been the case with the GFS/Euro and NAM recent runs. That doesn't mean we won't see heavy rain, just not sure to the extent.

31 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think we're somewhat in danger of getting skipped over. The heaviest rains in the morning want to go more towards NE PA and then the secondary push takes over late afternoon and could pull most of the moisture offshore. That's been the case with the GFS/Euro and NAM recent runs. That doesn't mean we won't see heavy rain, just not sure to the extent.

12z NAM (12K) is showing this scenario...big stripe of secondary rains in Eastern CT/RI/Eastern MA

-

namconus_apcpn_neus_28.png

Have to watch to see what the trends are for Saturday night. Fairly strong shortwave rounds the base of the trough. The GFS keeps the precip light but I could definitly see that trend wetter. Dew points even spike back into the 50's on Saturday night after a dry push Friday night into Saturday morning.

If it's May, and 850s are below zero and 500mb height is under 540, that's a textbook setup for self-destructing partly cloudy.   We're going to convect instantly with any sunshine whatsoever.

Archived