May Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, George BM said:

Thank you, "sir".

No problem.

SHiP has been discussed here recently quite a bit, but I still don't understand what it really means. All I really know is that it's not a tool to use to forecast that hail will occur. I think it just suggests the potential size of any hail that does occur, but I could easily be wrong.

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

So Total Wine posts on Facebook today they have Goose Island Boubon County Stout in limited supply.  Sweet, I rush down there, get my limited-to-one bottle from customer service.  The guy tells me, "you know we have KBS in stock, too"

Holy jackpot.  I grabbed two bomber bottles.  I see some guy with 6 of them in line, too.

Wait...why in the hell does anywhere have BCBS in stock now? You lucky bastard! :lol:

On 5/25/2017 at 8:03 AM, smokeybandit said:

No idea.  They had the regular, the vanilla rye and coffee.  I went with the regular, knowing the vanilla rye price was...steep

Wow. That's really impressive. I've heard great things about the coffee. Were the regular and coffee the 2016s?

How much was the Vanilla Rye? I thought that was only a 2014 release...and impossible to find!

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Catching a 3 ft sand shark is fun.  Releasing it is another matter.  

:lol:

Coincidentally, this is my weekend for watching Jaws for the first time of the summer.  I'm not sure why I like that movie so much, but from now until Labor Day I'll watch it four or five times.

Closer to home, on our bike ride this morning through Lutherville and Loch Raven, the cicadas made the presence heard.  Nothing like the 2004 outbreak, but a constant hum through the woods and older neighborhoods.  I even had one hit and stick for a half mile or so until one of my buddies shooed him off.  I guess it won't be too long before they are out every year.

Hello, dropping into all regional forums to mention that there is a 2017 tropical season forecast over at Tropical Headquarters.

Entries are welcome into early June without penalty.

This is where to go if you're interested ...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50014-2017-north-atlantic-tropical-storm-hurricane-forecast-contest/

Thanks. 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

:lol:

Coincidentally, this is my weekend for watching Jaws for the first time of the summer.  I'm not sure why I like that movie so much, but from now until Labor Day I'll watch it four or five times.

Closer to home, on our bike ride this morning through Lutherville and Loch Raven, the cicadas made the presence heard.  Nothing like the 2004 outbreak, but a constant hum through the woods and older neighborhoods.  I even had one hit and stick for a half mile or so until one of my buddies shooed him off.  I guess it won't be too long before they are out every year.

Why do you say that?

53 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Why do you say that?

Lol.  Ready?

Well, if this year's cicadas are part of the 17-year, 2004 brood that was expected in 2021, and they are coming out earlier because of climate change (as suggested by several articles), then it makes sense to me that this year's offspring will come back 17 years from now.  That would mean that we'd have 17-year cicadas twice in a 17-year span.  Further, it is also possible that if some of the 2004 cicadas matured and came out four years early, then some will come out 3 years early (next year).  And if the "early" cicadas from year to year also have a small portion coming out early, then eventually, we'd have the 17-year cicada making an appearance every year.

;)

Fire away...

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Cicadas are out just about every year.  Just different broods.

I'm no cicada expert but those are annuals.  The periodicals are different.

This is all lighthearted and really goes back to 1987 when I wondered if it would be possible to put a bunch of cicadas in a huge vessel and control the temperature to speed up the 17 year process.  I still wonder but it seems more plausible given what's happening this year.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:32 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Lol.  Ready?

Well, if this year's cicadas are part of the 17-year, 2004 brood that was expected in 2021, and they are coming out earlier because of climate change (as suggested by several articles), then it makes sense to me that this year's offspring will come back 17 years from now.  That would mean that we'd have 17-year cicadas twice in a 17-year span.  Further, it is also possible that if some of the 2004 cicadas matured and came out four years early, then some will come out 3 years early (next year).  And if the "early" cicadas from year to year also have a small portion coming out early, then eventually, we'd have the 17-year cicada making an appearance every year.

;)

Fire away...

Read an article the other day on this. Basically the experts feel the numbers won't be there for this year's brood to survive. What makes the 13 and 17 year broods perpetuate, as well as any other broods there are, is the sheer numbers that hatch. Considering that most cicadas get eaten before they have a chance to lay eggs you need the huge numbers to offset the attrition ensuring enough lay eggs to continue the cycle.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:32 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Lol.  Ready?

;)

Fire away...

I guess my main issue with that is that I don't get why climate change would have anything to do with causing cicadas to emerge early...unless climate change is also warping the space-time continuum. <_<

And what showmethesnow says, too. :lol:

33 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I guess my main issue with that is that I don't get why climate change would have anything to do with causing cicadas to emerge early...unless climate change is also warping the space-time continuum. <_<

And what showmethesnow says, too. :lol:

Haven't read the articles that attribute Climate Change to the early emergence of these cicadas so I won't speak on that. But I do know that I have seen this occur quite often in my 50+ years so I think it is a stretch to now try to link the two. 

8 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Read an article the other day on this. Basically the experts feel the numbers won't be there for this year's brood to survive. What makes the 13 and 17 year broods perpetuate, as well as any other broods there are, is the sheer numbers that hatch. Considering that most cicadas get eaten before they have a chance to lay eggs you need the huge numbers to offset the attrition ensuring enough lay eggs to continue the cycle.

Not to get too much into the periodical cicada argument and whether climate change is having any effect.  But I did hear that it's not unusual for many to come out "early", though not nearly in the same numbers as during the "on" years.  And they usually don't survive since they don't come out in the huge numbers to overcome predators.  I was here in 2004, and they were all over the place, by the thousands or more.  To be honest, as loud as it could be from all their singing, it was kind of cool to experience.

A couple of weeks ago (mid-May), I saw a few shells out and thought it was kind of early for the regular annual ones.  Then I saw one of the cicadas, the classic black with the red eyes, the 17-year ones.  I saw several others since then, and on a few warm days thought I even heard them singing high in the trees.  As for any potential influence on climate change, there's some argument that more frequent extremes or changes in temperatures can make it "seem" like more cycles of warm/cold have passed to the cicada nymphs underground, so some of them emerge several years earlier.  I'm not saying this is definitive or absolutely true, but an interesting idea and makes some sense.  Though I'd be more inclined to think it's just natural chance that you get some that come out off-years, for the most part.  Supposedly, if enough were to survive in those situations, you'd end up with a new "brood".

I think, from what I've read, the 13-year ones are more in the deep south of the US; the 17-year ones are up this way and farther north/west.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived