Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Obs/Disco Thread

George BM

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You guys dont usually see me outside of the winter. But I had to share with my fellow weather freaks. I had a tornado come right in front of my house this evening. Craziest wind I have ever felt in my life. It actually chased me into the house. And I NEVER go inside during a good T-storm. A few uprooted trees, busted windows and missing screens. But no major damage.  A neighbor 2 streets over caught a pic of it while it was over my neighbors house across the street. My first tornado. It was AWESOME!

18814737_10155292741483419_7702672524533982462_o.jpg

I wanna believe its a tornado, but with the house in the way, no real way to know for sure. Either way, great picture and glad everyone is okay :) 

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

This weather is great.  ~7.4", wettest month since June 2015.  Only 3 90° days.  Anything that shortens summer around here is a huge win.

I tend to agree. I think we are in the minority though.

Looked at my rain gage this morning and with the persistent drizzle and a light shower, my total sits at exactly 8.00" for the month.

25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I tend to agree. I think we are in the minority though.

Looked at my rain gage this morning and with the persistent drizzle and a light shower, my total sits at exactly 8.00" for the month.

I am certainly biased because one of the things I hate most in the world is watering.  All that effort (energy, chemicals, money) that goes into making the water potable, and we just end up dumping it on the ground.  My wife, on the other hand, would like to cover our whole yard in gardens and water them continuously from March to October.

55 minutes ago, mappy said:

I wanna believe its a tornado, but with the house in the way, no real way to know for sure. Either way, great picture and glad everyone is okay :) 

Yeah. Like I said I couldnt see anything. Just a wall of water with quarter size hail mixed in and trees basically laying sideways. There is supposed to be someone from NWS out here today to assess. But I think it had to be a tornado. I saw trees this morning, that I couldnt wrap my arms around, and their trunks are twisted and broken off about 5 feet off of the ground. The trunks are twisted not just snapped off. Their are also numerous trees derooted and blown over. I will try to snap some pics tonight. If it was a tornado it definitely wasnt a big one. There is only a 50 yard wide path of damage. After it went through my neighborhood it hit a mobile home park across the street from me. That is where the news people are reporting from this morning. Regardless. It was one of the most intense weather moments of my life for sure. Watching a 25 foot tree get derooted and thrown to the ground is quite a site to see.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Like I said I couldnt see anything. Just a wall of water with quarter size hail mixed in and trees basically laying sideways. There is supposed to be someone from NWS out here today to assess. But I think it had to be a tornado. I saw trees this morning, that I couldnt wrap my arms around, and their trunks are twisted and broken off about 5 feet off of the ground. The trunks are twisted not just snapped off. Their are also numerous trees derooted and blown over. I will try to snap some pics tonight. If it was a tornado it definitely wasnt a big one. There is only a 50 yard wide path of damage. After it went through my neighborhood it hit a mobile home park across the street from me. That is where the news people are reporting from this morning. Regardless. It was one of the most intense weather moments of my life for sure. Watching a 25 foot tree get derooted and thrown to the ground is quite a site to see.

yikes. sounds intense for sure! if it was a tornado, congrats ;) 

The last few days have only produced a total of about 0.15 as most cells have missed (some within a couple miles), but I have managed 5.05 for the month which is real good for Germandesert.  I'm sure any time now we will get into mid-summer form with missing storms in every direction and me having to water parched gardens.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Anybody know how to look up reports at the NWS site? I want to see what the results were of their tornado assessment for my area from yesterday.

NWUS51 KLWX 312351
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
751 PM EDT WED MAY 31 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0559 PM     TORNADO          1 NNW BERRYVILLE        39.17N  77.99W
05/30/2017                   CLARKE             VA   NWS STORM SURVEY

EF-0 TORNADO CONFIRMED VIA NWS STORM SURVEY...
            ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED 65 MPH... PATH WIDTH 25
            YARDS... AND PATH LENGTH 0.4 MILES.

&&

EVENT NUMBER LWX1702093

$$

LEE

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

NWUS51 KLWX 312351
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
751 PM EDT WED MAY 31 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0559 PM     TORNADO          1 NNW BERRYVILLE        39.17N  77.99W
05/30/2017                   CLARKE             VA   NWS STORM SURVEY

EF-0 TORNADO CONFIRMED VIA NWS STORM SURVEY...
            ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED 65 MPH... PATH WIDTH 25
            YARDS... AND PATH LENGTH 0.4 MILES.

&&

EVENT NUMBER LWX1702093

$$

LEE

Thanks. So it was a confirmed tornado. That is cool. Although if that was only 65 mph winds i dont know what I witnessed. I wonder if used the pictures we posted from our neighborhood in their assessment. Thanks again.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived