• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah it hit 1 mile from my house across Camp/Exit 57 is where is originated and cross Scranton just north of Pegasus Restaurant to Erie County fair and out across Clark Street was really hit hard. Then continued across Powers road towards Chestnut Ridge Park. 

Cars lifted off ground and that wooden stake into the car seat are EF2 damage indicators.  I'm guessing they'll go with an EF2, though I haven't seen pics of missing roofs off of homes etc. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Cars lifted off ground and that wooden stake into the car seat are EF2 damage indicators.  I'm guessing they'll go with an EF2, though I haven't seen pics of missing roofs off of homes etc. 

There was quite a bit of roof damage on the Erie county fair raceway. But I think it was metal, so not a good indicator. Here is the first picture of an actual tornado I saw. When it came through here the wind was incredible. I knew something was different about this storm.

T3OYdMr.jpg

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There was quite a bit of roof damage on the Erie county fair raceway. But I think it was metal, so not a good indicator. Here is the first picture of an actual tornado I saw. When it came through here the wind was incredible. I knew something was different about this storm.

T3OYdMr.jpg

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more pictures and videos of the actual funnel cloud.  I've seen this video of the guy driving down one of the roads and you get that quick nice view of it through the rain.  There was another one from out in Holland that was a nice clip looked like a rope cloud.  The one of the car dealerships looked like it was going to be real good but the funnel only dropped out for a second or two.  Probably my favorite was the guy at the hotel on camp road.  It literally looked like the funnel was going to drop down 5 feet in front of him.  Stinks he stopped recording when he did.  

4 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So here is the reply I got from the NWS inquiring about the difference in the wind speeds.  Seems somewhat contradicting... 

IMG_1334.PNG

I've never seen something like that where the estimated wind speed falls into a different category, and I'm surprised they are even allowed to do that.  The survey text wasn't that detailed so I'm wondering what the EF2 damage was based on.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I've never seen something like that where the estimated wind speed falls into a different category, and I'm surprised they are even allowed to do that.  The survey text wasn't that detailed so I'm wondering what the EF2 damage was based on.

Yeah I am not sure how they do this either. Some of the pictures I went out and saw definitely looked EF2 type damage. How can they go windspeeds lower than EF2, but damage EF2? 

3 confirmed tornadoes yesterday. 

Timeline:

The first tornado hit at 12:30 p.m. in Hamburg as an EF2 rating, with top wind speeds reaching 105 mph.  At the Hamburg Fairgrounds, dozens of vehicles had their windows blown out from the strong winds.  Several structures, including the grand stands, were significantly damaged.  

The tornado continued across the Chestnut Ridge Park and the Town of Orchard Park causing more structural and tree damage.

At 12:50 p.m., a second tornado touched down in the Town of Holland.  This tornado, an EF1, reached top wind speeds of 95 mph.  Several structures were damaged with a significant amount of tree damage, according to the National Weather Service.

Around 1:40 p.m., a third tornado touched down in Allegany County. The National Weather Service measured the tornado as an EF1. Reports show that the tornado that extended from the Town of Allen across the Town of Angelica to the Town of West Almond. Several homes were damaged. A barn was severely damaged.

STORM SURVEY CONFIRMED EF2 TORNADO. DAMAGE TO THE HAMBURG FAIRGROUNDS AND CHESTNUT RIDGE PARK.

STORM SURVEY CONFIRMED EF1 TORNADO. SEVERAL STRUCTURES DAMAGED AND A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TREE DAMAGE. TRACKS OF THE NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILWAY WERE BLOCKED BY LARGE TREE

STORM SURVEY CONFIRMED EF1 TORNADO. SEVERAL HOMES WERE DAMAGED AND A BARN SEVERELY DAMAGED. SEVERAL SHEDS OR SMALL OUTBUILDINGS WERE TIPPED AND MOVED. NUMEROUS LARGE TREE  

http://www.wkbw.com/news/confirmed-a-tornado-touched-down-in-erie-county

Archived