Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2017 Discussion

Jonger

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Struggling to get out of the mid 40s with some rain.  I've seen worse at this time of year but this ranks up there. 

Yuck. I thought that I had it bad here at 58.

The wife just got back from Central Indiana, crossing the warm front. She said it went from swamp-a$$ air there to feeling chilly here. I"m looking forward to seeing if we can get anything to spin up along that front tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Struggling to get out of the mid 40s with some rain.  I've seen worse at this time of year but this ranks up there. 

I can't imagine it getting much worse than today at this time of yr.  Maybe May of 2002 in my memory.  Brutal fishing in Mid-may.

High of 44 today at midnight.   WC  below 35. 

8 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

I can't imagine it getting much worse than today at this time of yr.  Maybe May of 2002 in my memory.  Brutal fishing in Mid-may.

High of 44 at midnight.   WC  below 35. 

That's exactly what I had in mind.  Went back and checked... May 17, 2002 had the bulk of the day between 41-43 degrees around here.  

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's exactly what I had in mind.  Went back and checked... May 17, 2002 had the bulk of the day between 41-43 degrees around here.  

Just went and looked back on 2002.  Dam that sure was a Ugly week up-north...

4 days in a row of highs in the 40's in Milwaukee starting the 17th like you mentioned.  44, 46, 48 and 44 on  May 20th   Then we torched - lots of 90's in June.

What did you have in May of 92?    I graduated that May.   I remember it being cool.    44 on the 24th and 46 the day after. 

This is def one of the top if not the ****tiest wx day alive on this date - or any time in may after the first week for that matter  And I'm pretty old. 

4 hours ago, UMB WX said:

What did you have in May of 92?    I graduated that May.   I remember it being cool.    44 on the 24th and 46 the day after. 

Pretty similar.  Just a few degrees warmer. 92 was screwed up after Pinatubo erupted.

14 hours ago, UMB WX said:

The entire "warm season" of '92 was an unmitigated disaster.

Only 2009 has come the closest to being as bad.

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

At least it does look to warm back up in time for Memorial Day.

In fact, the 12z GFS really puts the kibosh on the extent of the cold snap this week. 

06z GFS did too, it is really down to about 3 days of cool weather at most. Like I suspected would happen, you don't get an upper low to lock in for 10 days in a progressive pattern. That is a pipe dream for those who want miserable cold weather.

This nice cool month will ensure we get a nice cooler by the lake start to summer :wub:    Hell its almost June even the garbage days are decent.   Nobody nailed this month and if you say you did  - lol.

Ups and downs will continue as long as we keep the low train going and its been going here since last fall and for once have a little surplus of moisture

Picked up 0.68" from this morning's rains.  Up to 3.33" for the month.

It's been a cool day with the heavy clouds/east winds/constant drizzle.  Temps are starting to rise now as the warm front is approaching.  57 now, and have a legit shot at breaking 70 in a few hours when the sun emerges.  May even be a few decent storms around later.

EDIT:  Parts of central Nebraska have been dealing with snow today.  A few inches fell near Mullen.

28 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The miserable cold much of the day is now history.  Temp/dew has jumped up to 65/62, and the sun is out.  Substantial difference in how the air feels compared to the upper 40s/low 50s with the cold rain/drizzle.

Yeah, air has a little bit of a heavy feel to it.  Temp is in the upper 60s here.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

The miserable cold much of the day is now history.  Temp/dew has jumped up to 65/62, and the sun is out.  Substantial difference in how the air feels compared to the upper 40s/low 50s with the cold rain/drizzle.

Yeah, it feels much better than earlier.  This morning it was mid 40s, rain, and windy.  Now, it's 60, dry, and light wind.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

^Nice.  Yeah it's up to 68/63 here now.  Hardly a cloud in the sky.  Had to shoot a time lapse of the warm frontal passage.  Probably won't be that interesting though.

There are a few of us that like watching clouds in motion. Just FYI.

Remember when it was going to be below normal the rest of the month...

Conditions look more unsettled during the Tue-Wed periods, as the
closed low fractures with a sizable piece of this energy then
digging southeast into the region.  Reasonable model consensus in
the pattern evolution, but with differences in timing/details yet to
resolve.  A general increase in cva should lead to periodic showers,
with some renewed moisture advection and increasing mid level lapse
rates also yielding weak instability and the possibility of embedded
thunder /particularly Tuesday/.  Temperature trends remain somewhat
flat, with any advective process largely holding neutral.  This will
retain a temperature profile is simply defined as seasonable for
late May.

:lmao: and by Thursday and especially into Friday temps climb back above normal.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I guess the question is what's going to win out over the next 10 days.  I'm still not sure it won't average below normal for most areas, even with some above average days thrown in.

I see 3 days that will be below average in Tues-Thurs, maybe 4 if Friday starts out cold. Even then Thursday and especially Friday will be in the 70s for most.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This is the third straight day with significant time spent in the 40s.  The avg high temp is in the 70s.  Even moderately below avg weather would be a huge improvement.

Dang, that would be rough on the spirit, as well as the tomatoes.

Archived