Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2017 Discussion

Jonger

42 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Going to California/Nevada in a week for two weeks. Has anyone here ever been there? Any travel tips or sights aside from what its known for? Thanks! 

I haven't been to California so I can't comment, but I did go to Nevada once. Don't spend too long in Vegas proper, unless you really like gambling. The buffets are great and the strip is worth seeing, but a single afternoon+evening is enough to see everything. Red Rock Canyon is much more interesting, I believe the trail I hiked there was Calico Tanks, it was a fun, relatively easy hike with cool rock formations and an amazing view of the city at the end. The Hoover Dam is worth seeing too IMO, and Mt. Charleston is supposed to be nice but I didn't go there. If you can make it out to the Grand Canyon, it's obviously a must-see. I've seen plenty of breathtaking natural scenery, but nothing quite compares to seeing the sun set over the Grand Canyon.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the Huron Mountains for a weekend of dirtbiking. Wow it was quite cold up there still, hardly any buds or anything. Rode up to Big Bay from Marquette, cold but very gorgeous.

Weatherbo how close was I  to your location? I need to make it up during the winter. Looks like phenomenal weather up there next week or so.

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Lake-enhanced front blew through here about an hour ago.  Temp has dropped back to 60 after tagging 83 earlier today.  There were some elevated showers trying to sprinkle on us around sunset.  Most of the precip evaporated before reaching the ground however.

A perfect end to a fantastic Mother's Day.

2wp8egl.jpg

:clap:Is this edited? I need to learn how to take pictures like this.

10 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

Just got back from the Huron Mountains for a weekend of dirtbiking. Wow it was quite cold up there still, hardly any buds or anything. Rode up to Big Bay from Marquette, cold but very gorgeous.

Weatherbo how close was I  to your location? I need to make it up during the winter. Looks like phenomenal weather up there next week or so.

I live 10 miles south of big bay near the silver lake basin/dead river/mulligan trail area. Glad you enjoyed your trip!! 

High terrain areas near the lake as of yesterday, not showing much in the way of trees buds. Cool as well with a high of 53 Sunday, but quickly fell into the 40's after 5pm.  Unsettled and some rain this week.  Pretty dry with some small brush fires the past few days scattered about in southern Marquette County.

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.3da063972269edb2becec175fa61bd4a.JPG

21 hours ago, ConfusedKitten said:

I haven't been to California so I can't comment, but I did go to Nevada once. Don't spend too long in Vegas proper, unless you really like gambling. The buffets are great and the strip is worth seeing, but a single afternoon+evening is enough to see everything. Red Rock Canyon is much more interesting, I believe the trail I hiked there was Calico Tanks, it was a fun, relatively easy hike with cool rock formations and an amazing view of the city at the end. The Hoover Dam is worth seeing too IMO, and Mt. Charleston is supposed to be nice but I didn't go there. If you can make it out to the Grand Canyon, it's obviously a must-see. I've seen plenty of breathtaking natural scenery, but nothing quite compares to seeing the sun set over the Grand Canyon.

Okay, I see what your saying. Vegas outside of the main strip area, there isn't much to see. Yeah, I think based on what your saying 2-3 days should be suffice for Vegas. I heard about the Red Rock Canyon, sort of like a miniature Grand Canyon, no? If I have time, I will for sure go to Grand Canyon, how far is it from Vegas though? Hoover Dam, I never heard of that but thanks for the heads up, I will for sure check that out. I think in the desert areas away from Vegas, you have a relatively good view of the Milky way as its away from any city lights, right?  

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definitely try to go to most of them for sure. I'm not a huge gambler, but I do like sight-seeing and hiking, etc. It'll be hot though. But I think dry heat is more bearable than what we experience here in Southern Ontario, haha. 

2 hours ago, UMB WX said:

low 60's and blue sky perfection yet again today  Looking forward to a few warm days to accelerate the leaf out and produce full shade on house.   Furnace back on Friday :D

Lol, reminds me of Geos with that imby post. 

I currently have 74f with a dew point of 24f and humidity of 17%.  I can't say I really pay to much attention to dew point and humidity values until it gets muggy out but I looked at the current Denver values and the air is drier here than there.  Is that a pretty rare oddity?  Regardless, it is very pleasant.

17 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Lake-enhanced front blew through here about an hour ago.  Temp has dropped back to 60 after tagging 83 earlier today.  There were some elevated showers trying to sprinkle on us around sunset.  Most of the precip evaporated before reaching the ground however.

A perfect end to a fantastic Mother's Day.

2wp8egl.jpg

Gorgeous pic!

^Thanks Josh.

MLI hit 90 for the first time this year.  IIRC they only tagged 90 a handful of times last year, and also the year before so this is pretty noteworthy.  Hit 88 here, which is also the warmest to date.  Dews in the mid 60s.  Low temps should stay in the mid 60s the next 3 nights.  That's great crop/grass growing weather lol.

4 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Okay, I see what your saying. Vegas outside of the main strip area, there isn't much to see. Yeah, I think based on what your saying 2-3 days should be suffice for Vegas. I heard about the Red Rock Canyon, sort of like a miniature Grand Canyon, no? If I have time, I will for sure go to Grand Canyon, how far is it from Vegas though? Hoover Dam, I never heard of that but thanks for the heads up, I will for sure check that out. I think in the desert areas away from Vegas, you have a relatively good view of the Milky way as its away from any city lights, right?  

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definitely try to go to most of them for sure. I'm not a huge gambler, but I do like sight-seeing and hiking, etc. It'll be hot though. But I think dry heat is more bearable than what we experience here in Southern Ontario, haha. 

Yeah that's all correct. Grand Canyon is a 4 hour drive, I just rented a car when I was there. It worked out well since Vegas isn't very walkable and the public transport is non-existent. The heat shouldn't be too bad since it's only May and the air is dry, just make sure to bring a lot of water and a hat when you go hiking, the sun is intense and there's barely any shade.

Hi all. Popping in from Central PA. Wife and I will be in Chicago this weekend and eyeing Cubs tickets for Friday, 1 pm start. 

I see that low moving in bringing rain but seems like it's getting pushed to late overnight. Any feedback if we are safe buying these? Can't make another game so don't want to buy if it's a rain out.

20 minutes ago, Mogget said:

Hello canderson!  I lurk in your forum all the time since my best friend lives in Carlisle.  You might find the discussion you need in the severe thread. I think you'll be safe but do check over there.

Thanks, will do!

It'll be pushing 90 here Wed and Thur, glad we'll be in Chicago ha.

31 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

On track for the warmest day of the year so far.

76 at ORD as of 10AM. 10/10 would suggest around 86 for a high. HRRR has been consistently showing around 87 since last night.

Also... IKK hit 91 and PNT hit 90 yesterday.

I will take the over.

Nice to be talking abut a feels like temp that's above the actual temp for a couple days.  Been all talking chilly windchills this spring. Guess that comes back friday.

75/65 inland at the mke airport.  I'll embrace the lake breeze soon

Frankie says take relief under the Downtown Bank Clock.

Archived