SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Discussion

Jonger

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me that at least here in South Central Wisconsin we have gotten pretty lucky with this cool stretch here. We did get down in to the upper 20's on Sunday,but other than that it wasn't that bad freeze wise. Daytime temps have been in the lower-mid 60's for most of the last week with Saturday getting up in the low 70's and today only getting to the Upper 50's. After tomorrow's rain chances it's looking pretty clear for the next week to week and a half.

12 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Yeah outside the usual coooler along the lake sites this spring hasn't been horrible.  What's been lacking is the short torch stretches here.

Give me sun and anything over 55 and I won't complain too much.  I've only reached a high in the 60's just 6  times this year, and haven't hit 70 yet.  Waiting on the bugs.

The morning blob of rain, which dropped 0.36", kept us in the low 60s today, and kept the warmth and severe potential well south.  A second band of rain had a pretty heavy downpour within it, boosting my event total to 0.89".  It's looking mostly mild/warm and dry into early next week.

ORD could see its first 90 degree day next week, possibly even multiple days near 90 if the ECMWF verifies. Before that though, a top notch mother's day weekend.

Really hasn't been that bad of a May, despite the hype and exaggeration from other posters.

1 hour ago, CCM said:

ORD could see its first 90 degree day next week, possibly even multiple days near 90 if the ECMWF verifies. Before that though, a top notch mother's day weekend.

Really hasn't been that bad of a May, despite the hype and exaggeration from other posters.

90 is probably pushing it, 80s though look pretty on point after Monday.

5 hours ago, CCM said:

Speak for yourself.

A -7.3*F departure through the first 1/3 of the month is hardly "hype and exaggeration."

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Going to come down to mixing.  The 850s would potentially support it getting close but probably should play it safe for now.

Yeah, I will say things are more moist this go around compared to earlier in the spring, so it might be a bit harder for overachieving.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

90 is probably pushing it, 80s though look pretty on point after Monday.

And that's only based off the EURO (which tends to have a warm bias this time of year).

The GFS / GGEM aren't quite on board with the same extent / duration of the warmth.

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Speak for yourself.

A -7.3*F departure through the first 1/3 of the month is hardly "hype and exaggeration."

You'll end up with probably a +1 departure by the end of the month. 

And temps near 60 really isn't all that bad at all for mid May, it's quite comfortable actually. Yet some still whine. It's not mid July for christ sake... relax.

4 minutes ago, CCM said:

You'll end up with probably a +1 departure by the end of the month. 

And temps near 60 really isn't all that bad at all for mid May, it's quite comfortable actually. Yet some still whine. It's not mid July for christ sake... relax.

8 posts in and dealing fire, probably not the smartest move. Also 60 for this time of year is 8 degrees below normal. Might want to actually look at facts and figures before posting.

38 minutes ago, Powerball said:

And that's only based off the EURO (which tends to have a warm bias this time of year).

The GFS / GGEM aren't quite on board with the same extent / duration of the warmth.

Lol, the GEM is pretty much a random number generator. I don't even know what it's showing because I hardly ever look at it anymore. And the GFS is nearly identical to the EURO now.

Also, I don't think the bolded is true. If anything, it tends to have a slight cold bias during the spring months.

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

8 posts in and dealing fire, probably not the smartest move. Also 60 for this time of year is 8 degrees below normal. Might want to actually look at facts and figures before posting.

No idea what you're talking about lol, I've done absolutely nothing wrong. What rules have I broken?

It just gets extremely annoying when people complain about an inevitable cool stretch (not just on this forum, it's plenty worse on other weather forums) especially since we literally just had one of the Aprils on record, and on top of that we had unprecedented warmth in February.

Just pointing out that 60 degrees really isn't that cold, nor does it feel cold at all. We're at that time of the year now where 8 degrees below normal isn't considered "cold" anymore. It's below average, sure, but certainly not bad at all. It's like calling a 78 degree day "brutal" or "awful" in July :lol: 

55 minutes ago, Powerball said:

ecmwf_T850_us_7.png

gfs_T850_us_25.png

Just now, CCM said:

No idea what you're talking about lol, I've done absolutely nothing wrong. What rules have I broken? And are you a moderator? 

Just pointing out that 60 degrees really isn't that cold, nor does it feel cold at all. We're at that time of the year now where 8 degrees below normal isn't considered "cold" anymore. It's below average, sure, but certainly not bad at all. It's like calling a 78 degree day "brutal" or "awful" in July :lol: 

Didn't say anything about rules, but you come off as abrasive when replying to people. Not a good look especially when you seem to not know what you are talking about. Your original post was about hype and exaggeration, 8 degrees below normal is neither.

2 minutes ago, CCM said:

ecmwf_T850_us_7.png

gfs_T850_us_25.png

Yeah no difference, only about 3-5c different for most of the subforum at the same time, but who is counting right?

Just now, Stebo said:

Didn't say anything about rules, but you come off as abrasive when replying to people. Not a good look especially when you seem to not know what you are talking about. Your original post was about hype and exaggeration, 8 degrees below normal is neither.

Yeah no difference, only about 3-5c different for most of the subforum at the same time, but who is counting right?

It's the same overall setup, that's all that matters at this range. I'd say there's a pretty good consensus at this point.

Just now, CCM said:

It's the same overall setup, that's all that matters at this range. I'd say there's a pretty good consensus at this point.

Move those goalposts more, fact is Euro is overdoing it. That is the point that was being made...

Just now, Stebo said:

Move those goalposts more, fact is Euro is overdoing it. That is the point that was being made...

We shall see.

I had thought the Euro was overdoing the Feb warm spell back when it was showing those ridiculously warm 850s, but it ended up being spot on.

Archived