Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Discussion

Jonger

We get a cool stretch in May and people start losing their minds :lol: 

The warmth that has dominated the eastern 2/3rds of the country since Sept 2015 has been anything but normal, and nearly unprecedented warmth at times (Dec 2015 and Feb 2017). So you're bound to get some cool periods eventually.

That being said, I still think this month will finish on the warm side of average for most areas, but we'll see.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

GFS, Euro, and related ensembles showing no reprieve through all of next week for most of the sub. Western areas of the sub will definitely fare better than the Lakes and Eastern areas.

Yea looks like several waves passing overhead some of the hardest hit areas midweek. Going to want to watch closely to see if one of those blows up similar to the way this one did...

22 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Wow. Much nicer than down here. We'll probably end up with frost/freeze warnings Sat/Sun and maybe even Mon nights

I am not done with frost here either, frost the first week of June is pretty common for me.

After the flooding of 2014 and record wet 2016 summer, I think most everybody around my area is hoping for the dry pattern to continue. 

Hopefully the dry pattern expands to the south and east, you guys must be sick of rain.

2 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

GFS, Euro, and related ensembles showing no reprieve through all of next week for most of the sub. Western areas of the sub will definitely fare better than the Lakes and Eastern areas.

It's nice in the western part of the sub today.  69 in Moline.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Feel bad for you guys out east.  That kind of weather this time of the year is terrible.  

Was a gorgeous day here in N IL, bright blue skies and low 60s, was really refreshing. 

Toledo area had 2.68" of rain by 8PM. Yet another unusually rainy period. Toledo usually doesn't get much more than 1" of rain per event, at any one specific spot.

I believe Findlay received over 3". Eh we received our typical cut off low delivering brutally raw conditions. Last year there was the one at the beginning of June which kept temps in the 50s and flooded the heck out of Port Clinton.

After such a warm February-April I guess a cold spike was to be expected

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

^Enjoy Buffalo!

Already in the upper-30's this evening.  The persistent northerly flow keeps cold superior air entrenched in the shoreline areas.  The trees aren't even budded yet.  At least the northland bug assault is being delayed.

Wow, we've had a lot of very cool days the last 10 days or so, but it pretty much looks like mid summer here now as far as the trees go.  Most of the leaves on the trees are fully grown out now except a few of the later arriving varieties.  Other than the bare farm fields it looks like July lol.

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Wow, we've had a lot of very cool days the last 10 days or so, but it pretty much looks like mid summer here now as far as the trees go.  Most of the leaves on the trees are fully grown out now except a few of the later arriving varieties.  Other than the bare farm fields it looks like July lol.

It's the complete opposite up here in the tundra.

The green up doesn't really start in earnest until mid-May. Heck, it's common to still have remnant seasonal snow on the ground in early May.  One thing I have noticed here vs Indiana, is the speed of the green up and leaf out.  It's like an explosion here when it finally happens, and seemed more gradual when I lived down that way.

Until the north winds go away it isn't going to be warm, but at least it's sunny! :lol:

Today
Sunny, with a high near 44. North wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 30. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 40. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 27. North wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 45. North wind around 5 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 30.

A pic out back this morning looking south. Hard to believe it's May

IMG_1934.JPG.1f51a0740c4bf9ffbaa163cb69a2943c.JPG

I finished with a 2-day rainfall of 2.08" imby, DTW finished with 1.71". This was less than half of what the GFS predicted, but it nevertheless was a constant, steady, usually light rain. Yesterday with gusty north winds and wind chills in the 30s all day, winter coats ruled Cinco De Mayo.

18199473_10108295405677343_3916876366846

The last 50 months have been an even distribution of colder and warmer than normal months here, with 2013-15 dominated by cold then the switch in late 2015. But I think the reason a prolonged May cold snap feels unusual is because its been a while since we have had a cold May. Last year we had snow showers in a brief but intense cold snap mid-month, and we have had some frosts mid and even late May in recent years too. But as a whole, May after May tends to end up warmer than normal. May 2009 was the last colder than normal May at Detroit. Even in 2014, after a historic winter and amidst our coldest year in over 3 decades, Detroit managed a few degrees above normal in May.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

It's the complete opposite up here in the tundra.

The green up doesn't really start in earnest until mid-May. Heck, it's common to still have remnant seasonal snow on the ground in early May.  One thing I have noticed here vs Indiana, is the speed of the green up and leaf out.  It's like an explosion here when it finally happens, and seemed more gradual when I lived down that way.

Until the north winds go away it isn't going to be warm, but at least it's sunny! :lol:

Today
Sunny, with a high near 44. North wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 30. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 40. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 27. North wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 45. North wind around 5 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 30.

A pic out back this morning looking south. Hard to believe it's May

IMG_1934.JPG.1f51a0740c4bf9ffbaa163cb69a2943c.JPG

Looks like early April not May, but at the same time its not unbelievable for where you are lol. I wouldnt say it looks like summer here, but most trees have leaves now, though many are not full grown leaves.

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

2.49" with the last rain event here. Most of the models were consistent with a swath of 3 - 3 1/2" through this area. 

Nothing in the forecast over 62° in the next 7 days for Northeast IN. :axe:

I'd take 60s right now.  Yesterday was so close yet so far with ORD getting into the low 60s and struggling into the low 50s here with northerly wind ripping in off the lake.

4 hours ago, UMB WX said:

This spring wx is nothing out of the ordinary living a long the west shore of the lake. Guess you just get acclimated to it over the decades.

Best climo.

I left Indiana 5 years ago.  This northern latitude lake climate takes some adjusting.  May 5th, and I have a current wind chill of 29 degrees under full sun.  There's around 10 weeks of summer where the weather is just about perfect, but of course you have the infamous north wood bugs to deal with. Wouldn't change a thing tho, cold and bugs keep the riff raff away.

Archived