Newest Member
    joxey
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NJwx85 said:

The 00z GGEM and 12z NAM are close to washouts for Monday. The Euro is a bit faster, but has significant rains Sunday night into Monday morning. The 06z GFS is focused a tick further South but problematic. 

any blocking?   with no blocking, the faster solutions might be more in line.

I know a few of the LI folks on here are thinking about the Jones Beach Air Show this weekend.  Really hope we don't get these low level clouds/showers during the 1Pm/2PM time frame Saturday.  That's the grand finale with the blue angels or thunder birds (I think thunder birds this year?).  Same thing happened last year when a wall of fog crashed into the beach literally as the blue angels were about to show up. 

nam3km_cfraclow_neus_29.thumb.png.2b9046c3a99e08656dea452123034c22.png

nam3km_cfraclow_neus_30.thumb.png.b03dbab65dd128b6b9681cfc3908ecdb.png

Just now, Brian5671 said:

any blocking?   with no blocking, the faster solutions might be more in line.

Some weak blocking. Another trough is building East so it's just a matter of how quickly it progresses. Even the NAM would salvage the afternoon, especially West of the Hudson, but I wouldn't want it to slow down any further.

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

I know a few of the LI folks on here are thinking about the Jones Beach Air Show this weekend.  Really hope we don't get these low level clouds/showers during the 1Pm/2PM time frame Saturday.  That's the grand finale with the blue angels or thunder birds (I think thunder birds this year?).  Same thing happened last year when a wall of fog crashed into the beach literally as the blue angels were about to show up. 

nam3km_cfraclow_neus_29.thumb.png.2b9046c3a99e08656dea452123034c22.png

nam3km_cfraclow_neus_30.thumb.png.b03dbab65dd128b6b9681cfc3908ecdb.png

I see no risk at all Saturday.  Worst case scenario if that rain shield held together better is a deck at 3000 but that's not low enough for a cancellation.  I think it needs to be below 800 or so for them to cancel it.  In 2013 or 14 they held it when it was 50s both days and overcast at 1500-2000.  Sunday is more at risk I think, models are really gung ho on low cigs Sunday AM.  They clear it out by 15Z right now but as we know that doesn't always happen.  I'm skeptical of low ceilings tomorrow night to an extent because we have offshore flow at all levels here for the next 24-30 hours.  Often times models try to bring low clouds back in too quickly after we have offshore flow for that long 

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I see no risk at all Saturday.  Worst case scenario if that rain shield held together better is a deck at 3000 but that's not low enough for a cancellation.  I think it needs to be below 800 or so for them to cancel it.  In 2013 or 14 they held it when it was 50s both days and overcast at 1500-2000.  Sunday is more at risk I think, models are really gung ho on low cigs Sunday AM.  They clear it out by 15Z right now but as we know that doesn't always happen.  I'm skeptical of low ceilings tomorrow night to an extent because we have offshore flow at all levels here for the next 24-30 hours.  Often times models try to bring low clouds back in too quickly after we have offshore flow for that long 

Goose, I appreciate the thoughts 

7 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

12z Euro much drier for Monday-some light AM showers, generally .25 or less for most locales.

I wouldn't be spiking any footballs yet. The Euro is not a nice day for Monday. It doesn't have to be pouring rain to cause problems.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I wouldn't be spiking any footballs yet. The Euro is not a nice day for Monday. It doesn't have to be pouring rain to cause problems.

Not spiking anything, but seeing it trend drier is good.   Parades could be an issue but the PM would be dry...kind of like today.   I'm hosting 20 adults and 20 kids on Monday-hoping to GOD we're outside LOL

4 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Mosquitoes this summer are going to be a b**ch. finished with about an inch here.

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

They already are around here.

Here too.  Bug and tick repellant has been critical this year.  We've really dialed in the essential oil cocktail spray that we use and it works equally well on mosquitoes as on ticks.  Eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree and cedarwood.  You can add a mint too.  It's great, you watch ticks and other bugs jump off your feet and legs and the skeeters and gnats swarm around your face and head but don't land on you.  6-8 drops of each mixed with water into a ~8 ounce spray bottle, give yourself a good spray down from your head to your toes.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The convection last night may be the heaviest we see for a while around here. 12Z Euro has a quieter pattern the next week with no extremes of heat or rainfall.

KNYC_2017052612_dx_240.thumb.png.fff4675364ad66ed01ceb1ba95afbff8.png

The EPS mean is about four times as wet as the OP. I'm sure the OP will trend wetter. Every time the models have tried to dry us out in the long range it eventually trended wetter. Only exception I can think of was the recent heatwave that last three days.

9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Here too.  Bug and tick repellant has been critical this year.  We've really dialed in the essential oil cocktail spray that we use and it works equally well on mosquitoes as on ticks.  Eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree and cedarwood.  You can add a mint too.  It's great, you watch ticks and other bugs jump off your feet and legs and the skeeters and gnats swarm around your face and head but don't land on you.  6-8 drops of each mixed with water into a ~8 ounce spray bottle, give yourself a good spray down from your head to your toes.

Nice recipe.  I use Repel and it works great too.  I don't like using DEET at all.

Archived