Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Warm fronts with this much instability aloft tonight have generally been overperformers here for heavy convection. Why can't we get midlevel lapse rates this steep round here during the summer...;)  

5927187adfb20_2017052512_GFS_015_40.8-73.5_severe_ml.thumb.png.7a9b7c1e2ba99f5e9d4c0ce3336e88ba.png

we haven't been able to get good EML advection since the pdo flip in 2013

12 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

we haven't been able to get good EML advection since the pdo flip in 2013

Seems like the most impressive mid-level lapse rates recently have been either in the winter or spring.

7 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i'm more impressed by tonight's potential the more i look at it. bluewave is right about warm fronts and elevated cape here and a new mid level center develops overhead

Yeah, it has been a reliable combination for us to deliver decent convection around the region.

40 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

If you could go ahead and make that so it would be great.  I just need Saturday into Saturday night personally.  Many thanks.  

The mid level flow to me argues that late Saturday and Sunday anything should be well south.  I'm not sure why the GFS is north with it.  I think it may be overdoing the shortwave and causing somewhat of a negative tilt so the flow turns more WSW vs WNW.  

Good call by Forky and Bluewave. 

The new HRRR is even more impressive for tonight. 

Storms develop even further North than the main batch, starts around 8PM here and persists till about 6AM.

2-3" of rain in isolated spots, especially over interior NJ.

hrrr_apcpn_neus_16.png

32 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The mid level flow to me argues that late Saturday and Sunday anything should be well south.  I'm not sure why the GFS is north with it.  I think it may be overdoing the shortwave and causing somewhat of a negative tilt so the flow turns more WSW vs WNW.  

And it's not only GFS. GGEM actually brings a good period of rain into the area saturday afternoon. Even the NAM brings a few showers saturday evening. Enough guidance brings it far enough north that we have to keep an eye on it, even though the meteorology argues that it should stay to the south. Hopefully the Euro is right about it staying south, because a lot of people would be irritated to see rain saturday after all forecasts have been saying saturday is the one sure dry day of the holiday weekend.

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

And it's not only GFS. GGEM actually brings a good period of rain into the area saturday afternoon. Even the NAM brings a few showers saturday evening. Enough guidance brings it far enough north that we have to keep an eye on it, even though the meteorology argues that it should stay to the south. Hopefully the Euro is right about it staying south, because a lot of people would be irritated to see rain saturday after all forecasts have been saying saturday is the one sure dry day of the holiday weekend.

GGEM is worthless-overdoes everything...but agree with you overall, unitl we see GFS/NAM/RGEM shift south it's something to watch.

The NAM is pretty far North for Saturday too, though it still sends the main focus towards South Jersey.

I think it's a mostly Sunny day with a chance of evening thunderstorms.

The radar looks great down South and the storms have started to develop over SW NJ right on schedule. Looks like the HRRR nailed this event.

22 hours ago, bluewave said:

With a neutral ENSO and a +PDO/+AMO, it may come down to which pattern can gain dominance over our sensible weather for the summer. The +PDO is generally cooler here while the +AMO is warm. Right now we are in the cooler +PDO phase. Whether this pattern holds on or gets replaced by a warmer +AMO regime at some point remains to be seen. Or it could be a back and forth duel between the two.

What kind of high temps did you record during the heat, BW?  We have an interesting range of microclimates in our region.  Wednesday was a nonstarter, it wasn't even remotely hot here, but I noticed we were about 5 degrees warmer than JFK on Thursday (as were Farmingdale and Islip.)  The high at ISP was 89 and it was 85 at JFK, while it got to 90 here at 3:10 PM.  On Friday, we were hotter than JFK during the early afternoon (it hit 91 at 2:30 PM) but when the wind direction switched to west during the late afternoon JFK got into the low 90s (92) while Farmingdale and Islip were in the low and mid 80s after a high of 89 again at ISP because tstorms were passing over that area or nearby.  We stayed around 90 until 5:30 and then fell into the mid 80s even though it didn't rain here, while JFK stayed in the low 90s until 7 PM.  Maybe the proximity to the rain (even though it didn't rain here and was partly cloudy most of the time, maybe even mostly sunny) caused our temps to drop later in the afternoon rather than get the boost that JFK got from the post-frontal west wind (something I knew would happen, because there's always a post-frontal temp boost at JFK during the warm season lol.)  But that was the biggest range of temps I've seen between here and JFK while on a west wind since the first day of the super heatwave in July 2010 when JFK hit 101 and we stayed in the upper 90s- the rest of the city was even cooler (JFK topped 100 three times in that stretch, while we did it twice.)  Of course it was also strange to see us 5 degrees hotter than JFK on a SW wind on Thursday, but perhaps the 2.5 miles distance between here and the Ocean is what made for that difference.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The NAM is pretty far North for Saturday too, though it still sends the main focus towards South Jersey.

I think it's a mostly Sunny day with a chance of evening thunderstorms.

The radar looks great down South and the storms have started to develop over SW NJ right on schedule. Looks like the HRRR nailed this event.

30 minutes ago, Paragon said:

What kind of high temps did you record during the heat, BW?  We have an interesting range of microclimates in our region.  Wednesday was a nonstarter, it wasn't even remotely hot here, but I noticed we were about 5 degrees warmer than JFK on Thursday (as were Farmingdale and Islip.)  The high at ISP was 89 and it was 85 at JFK, while it got to 90 here at 3:10 PM.  On Friday, we were hotter than JFK during the early afternoon (it hit 91 at 2:30 PM) but when the wind direction switched to west during the late afternoon JFK got into the low 90s (92) while Farmingdale and Islip were in the low and mid 80s after a high of 89 again at ISP because tstorms were passing over that area or nearby.  We stayed around 90 until 5:30 and then fell into the mid 80s even though it didn't rain here, while JFK stayed in the low 90s until 7 PM.  Maybe the proximity to the rain (even though it didn't rain here and was partly cloudy most of the time, maybe even mostly sunny) caused our temps to drop later in the afternoon rather than get the boost that JFK got from the post-frontal west wind (something I knew would happen, because there's always a post-frontal temp boost at JFK during the warm season lol.)  But that was the biggest range of temps I've seen between here and JFK while on a west wind since the first day of the super heatwave in July 2010 when JFK hit 101 and we stayed in the upper 90s- the rest of the city was even cooler (JFK topped 100 three times in that stretch, while we did it twice.)  Of course it was also strange to see us 5 degrees hotter than JFK on a SW wind on Thursday, but perhaps the 2.5 miles distance between here and the Ocean is what made for that difference.

84 degrees was my max on 5-19. Exactly the same as 4-29.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

84 degrees was my max on 5-19. Exactly the same as 4-29.

I saw that people were commenting on LGA "anomalous" readings.  Just driving around the last few years, I've experienced the highest temps in western Queens.  The area right after exiting the midtown tunnel and getting onto the Grand Central Pkwy and around LGA and the old Shea Stadium seem to be the hotspot area of the 5 boros.

21 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I saw that people were commenting on LGA "anomalous" readings.  Just driving around the last few years, I've experienced the highest temps in western Queens.  The area right after exiting the midtown tunnel and getting onto the Grand Central Pkwy and around LGA and the old Shea Stadium seem to be the hotspot area of the 5 boros.

Yeah, that area probably has the strongest UHI in the Eastern US. Add that to the background warming trend and you get some impressive heat records.

erlaa6e59f2_hr.jpg.b4b07c388cc6c527e3a24eedb447be37.thumb.jpg.f811075b99329f0071fc06608300b006.jpg

42 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, that area probably has the strongest UHI in the Eastern US. Add that to the background warming trend and you get some impressive heat records.

erlaa6e59f2_hr.jpg.b4b07c388cc6c527e3a24eedb447be37.thumb.jpg.f811075b99329f0071fc06608300b006.jpg

Well, that certainly explains the middle of the night temp spikes I've experienced when traveling through that area.  It's not even a subtle uptick in temps, it's a pretty significant spike of several degrees.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Well, that certainly explains the middle of the night temp spikes I've experienced when traveling through that area.  It's not even a subtle uptick in temps, it's a pretty significant spike of several degrees.

Yeah, LGA is the king of 80 degree of higher mins in the Philly to NYC metro corridor during the 2010's.

LGA...19

PHL...12

NYC...11

EWR...10

JFK...4

Archived