Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EPS continues the theme of no big 90 degree heat right into the start of June as the trough hangs out nearby. This is the sweet spot for low energy costs where you can get by without using the heat or AC.

eps_z500a_5d_nh_21.thumb.png.3c0658531747a4e70af0cdb315f8b90a.png

eps_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.3bd0532b3eec03de72fceef4583cd650.png

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

18z GFS is wet for Sunday, though I'm skeptical. Looks like the shortwave is dampening out.

My hunch is Monday may be the rainy day as the trof or front approaches.  I'm not convinced much of anything happens Saturday or Sunday although the Euro and GFS have on and off tried to show something it's always off some sort of rogue shortwave or disturbance 

Next 8 days look barely AN,  (68 vs. 67)---unless holiday weekend has more sun than it appears it will have.

So far this month:   -0.5x23 or about a -12degs deficit for the month, which might just be cancelled out with the expected surplus of 8 degs. over the next 8 days.

May will finish near NORMAL at any rate, and become the second CFS goof out of a 3 month period.

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

I assume you're still talking about a decent rainfall, when?  Tomorrow or the second half of the weekend?  

Eh, it could come tomorrow, but it doesn't look widespread.  Nothing over the weekend screams widespread rains either.

I have a tee time Sunday morning so hoping it doesn't rain.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Eh, it could come tomorrow, but it doesn't look widespread.  Nothing over the weekend screams widespread rains either.

Hopefully the mets don't sound the alarm too loudly about the weekend being a washout, especially Monday.  I talked to the person who usually hosts the Memorial Day barbecue I attend and he's already thinking about cancelling.  It would be a shame if people's plans were disrupted for no reason.  The shore businesses would like to get off to a nice start also.

12 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

Hopefully the mets don't sound the alarm too loudly about the weekend being a washout, especially Monday.  I talked to the person who usually hosts the Memorial Day barbecue I attend and he's already thinking about cancelling.  It would be a shame if people's plans were disrupted for no reason.  The shore businesses would like to get off to a nice start also.

I never cancel anything until day of.  Too many busts out there.    One of the little league teams here canceled a game for last night a day before based on a forecast of rain-verification was partly sunny and dry the whole day.

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

More agreement on globals today that Monday afternoon or evening may see tstms if the boundary comes in from the west.  Sunday could be largely miserable though thanks to blowoff clouds from the dying tstm complex.  Could even see showers I guess but I see Sunday now as just likely mid to high overcast most of the day 

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

More agreement on globals today that Monday afternoon or evening may see tstms if the boundary comes in from the west.  Sunday could be largely miserable though thanks to blowoff clouds from the dying tstm complex.  Could even see showers I guess but I see Sunday now as just likely mid to high overcast most of the day 

12z GFS is fairly dry-has the showers like you said Monday late day, but it may be later in the evening if it's a few hours slower.   GFS hammers Boston tomorrow with the low.  

1 hour ago, matt8204 said:

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

I never cancel anything until day of.  Too many busts out there.    One of the little league teams here canceled a game for last night a day before based on a forecast of rain-verification was partly sunny and dry the whole day.

Last year our Memorial Day parade was canceled because of a threat of rain and the sun came out and it never more than drizzled. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Last year our Memorial Day parade was canceled because of a threat of rain and the sun came out and it never more than drizzled. 

I seem to remember the day before Memorial Day some sort of unforecast low clouds came in and socked in the south shore of LI.  It even messed up the air show 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

same here...the rain ended around 10am and it was cloudy but dry after that...the town took alot of heat since there was no raindate...guessing they'll go the other way this year-could be a hurricane and it will go on.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I seem to remember the day before Memorial Day some sort of unforecast low clouds came in and socked in the south shore of LI.  It even messed up the air show 

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

same here...the rain ended around 10am and it was cloudy but dry after that...the town took alot of heat since there was no raindate...guessing they'll go the other way this year-could be a hurricane and it will go on.

The GEFS mean has 0.50-0.75" from Sunday night into Monday morning and that would probably be enough to cancel a lot of activities. 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The GEFS mean has 0.50-0.75" from Sunday night into Monday morning and that would probably be enough to cancel a lot of activities. 

would depend on when it ends.   Alot of times, people not in the know look at silly phone forecasts which show a drop of rain and think it's going to rain all day....had to be the case last year b/c if you looked at a radar it was clear as day it was moving out....here's the OP at 8am-hoping this verifies as it shows the action well east by then

-

gfs_mslp_pcpn_neus_20.png

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

would depend on when it ends.   Alot of times, people not in the know look at silly phone forecasts which show a drop of rain and think it's going to rain all day....had to be the case last year b/c if you looked at a radar it was clear as day it was moving out....here's the OP at 8am-hoping this verifies as it shows the action well east by then

-

gfs_mslp_pcpn_neus_20.png

The damage would be done at this point. Need to hope the rain comes in Sunday afternoon or holds off till Monday night.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The damage would be done at this point. Need to hope the rain comes in Sunday afternoon or holds off till Monday night.

Huh?  as long as it's not actually raining most parades can go off. Ours is set for 10am here...  Damp roads shouldn't cause a cancellation, LOL.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Huh?  as long as it's not actually raining most parades can go off. Ours is set for 10am here...  Damp roads shouldn't cause a cancellation, LOL.

Because that's what happened here. The rain was done by 8AM and they still canceled. They makes those decisions hours before the event is set to start because the planning takes hours.

Archived