Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

50 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I have said the same thing yet May as of Saturday was averaging a few tenths of a degree above average at most observation stations. Coldest March in years, warmest April ever, May a mix of both.

57F with a light shower

It's funny because April really didn't feel that warm.  I think it was the mild nights, because after the 8th I barely had any low temps in the 30's, which is extremely rare here.  As for this month, the heatwave basically obliterated the negative departures at most stations.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

It's funny because April really didn't feel that warm.  I think it was the mild nights, because after the 8th I barely had any low temps in the 30's, which is extremely rare here.  As for this month, the heatwave basically obliterated the negative departures at most stations.  

Right if I didn't see the data and actual numbers just going by feel I wouldn't have thought April was a top 10 warm month. 

5 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

I noticed last night on the 11pm news that they had the heavy rain way too far NW.

Not sure what piece of guidance they were using.

In any event, the rain NW of BWI will probably make it up here based on current trajectory. We'll have to see if anything else develops.

I wonder if tomorrow's rains end up much further NW than currently forecasted.

And now it seems that the models may have overcorrected. Its coming down pretty good and many spots may hit a half inch

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

And now it seems that the models may have overcorrected. Its coming down pretty good and many spots may hit a half inch

The 12z RGEM had areas immediately N&W of the city getting 0.25"+

I'm personally sitting at 0.12" on the day, but the latest radar loop looks better.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Looks like even I might get above 0.25". Sitting at 0.18" with the back edge approaching.

did better than I thought here-came down moderate for awhile-down to drizzle again and it's starting to shift away in the next couple of hours.

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

did better than I thought here-came down moderate for awhile-down to drizzle again and it's starting to shift away in the next couple of hours.

Rgem completely schooled the American model suite once again.

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

.25" here so far, completely meh event.  

South Jersey is where the big ticket rain is.  I saw widespread 2-3" amounts on PWS's, some even topped 4" by Vineland.  Not sure if those are overdone though.

How can it be a meh event when it was never supposed to be more than it currently is?

Other than a rogue model run or two, it's been clear since last week that the heavy rains would be South and East of 95.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

How can it be a meh event when it was never supposed to be more than it currently is?

Other than a rogue model run or two, it's been clear since last week that the heavy rains would be South and East of 95.

All events seem to be judged against what the heaviest model runs were showing even if they were several days ago. But those 1-2" runs pretty much ended by Saturday before models backed off.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

All I'm saying is that no matter what the forecast called for, 5 inches or .12 inches, this is a completely uneventful, boring, and terrible weather day in my opinion.

You can see how the heavier totals are concentrated down in southern NJ.

https://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=DIX&brand=wui&num=1&delay=15&type=NTP&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&mapx=400&mapy=240&centerx=400&centery=240&transx=0&transy=0&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0&rand=24924711&lat=0&lon=0&label=you

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

All events seem to be judged against what the heaviest model runs were showing even if they were several days ago. But those 1-2" runs pretty much ended by Saturday before models backed off.

Well that's just stupid.

The GFS and Euro have both been way too wet in the 5-10 day period since Winter.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

All I'm saying is that no matter what the forecast called for, 5 inches or .12 inches, this is a completely uneventful, boring, and terrible weather day in my opinion.

You can see how the heavier totals are concentrated down in southern NJ.

https://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=DIX&brand=wui&num=1&delay=15&type=NTP&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&mapx=400&mapy=240&centerx=400&centery=240&transx=0&transy=0&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0&rand=24924711&lat=0&lon=0&label=you

I don't know what to tell you.

Not every rainstorm is a hurricane.

Perhaps you just don't like rain.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Well that's just stupid.

The GFS and Euro have both been way too wet in the 5-10 day period since Winter.

We generally need a nice burst of convection this time of year like we got on May 5th to beat guidance.

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The reason why I say that is that the mid-level centers are all well NW of the main precip shield. I'm not saying it's going to be a big event but I could see something similar to today.

seems like they have shifted that event back a day to Thursday....the 18z nam has no precip anywhere near here on Wed.

Archived