Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

15 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Clouds have finally totally cleared up here and it's glorious outside, Slainte!

down the road and up the hill...temp has spiked to 60F

Nothing glorious at the moment.....but this rather large red headed wood pecker that apparently made a home in a tree in my yard.

Did some research and the bird is Pileated. The bird went to town on a few old stumps. This bird knows how to grind wood.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Why did LAG beat CPK  by 4degs. and JFK by 9degs. during the 3 day heatwave?   Doesn't the seabreeze have any effect there?  Or does wind from those directions blow over a hot tarmac or something before reaching the instruments?

At any rate,  next 8 days average out NORMAL (65 ).

Month will make or break even depending on the holiday temps., which have increased by 10 degs. from 2 days ago.

PS. In an unrelated matter.  Runners (the leaders)  in the half-marathon have been arriving here in CI for 10mins.

CPK is Chesapeake, VA. NOT Central Park. How many times do we need to go over this?

LGA is kind of a joke at this point. It's definitely running high. I believe the ASOS is located between runways near the water so in terms of overnight lows, I can't take it seriously.  Just look at the departures for the month updated through yesterday. LGA is now running nearly 3 degrees higher than everywhere else!

1 hour ago, BombsAway1288 said:

CPK is Chesapeake, VA. NOT Central Park. How many times do we need to go over this?

LGA is kind of a joke at this point. It's definitely running high. I believe the ASOS is located between runways near the water so in terms of overnight lows, I can't take it seriously.  Just look at the departures for the month updated through yesterday. LGA is now running nearly 3 degrees higher than everywhere else!

That's just the warmest part of city with the strongest UHI. The sensor is on a grassy strip not far from the water. LGA has about as much concrete as the rest of that part of NYC with all the buildings and streets. The LGA record highs this week were greatly enhanced by the higher starting point with the new record 80 min for May.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa6e59/meta

erlaa6e59f2_hr.thumb.jpg.763c838658a0526370c07ba81d607092.jpg

4 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

CPK is an abbreviation tor Central Park.   Yes CPK gives you Cheasapeake, VA. weather.   In the way it was used here, there could be no confusion.   NYC could mean anywhere in the city limits.

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

what a change on today's EPS past day 7. the cool down got muted

new run:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

old run:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_10.png

That last run is not a bad look for high plains severe.  Maybe some photogenic Colorado tornados.

11 hours ago, Animal said:

fyi there is/was a case study done by NOAA and weather from DC to NYC.

PDF file is out there.

LGA measures snow on a roof hanger at the airport. Photos of each is documented.

As far as the warm temp question = zone of location..likely a down burst of warm air from airplanes.

That isn't warm air from planes since it's mainly the warm low temperatures driving the warm average temperature. Notice how the average highs this month are closer to Newark than the lows which is UHI. 

LGA...71.3...55.5

EWR..69.8...51.7

https://www.weather.gov/media/lmk/pdf/educational_pages/ASOSandClimateObservations__What_Is_ASOS.pdf

There are also some things that you would think affect the readings but generally don’t, such as jet exhaust. There are algorithms (computer code) in ASOS that take these quick fluctuations into account. These algorithms have been developed and tested to provide the most accurate and sensible data for a given sensor by using sampling over a period of time and other methods proven to weed out spikes in the sensor data that are caused by non- meteorological influences.

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine!  LOL We've had a dry couple of years up here so it's inevitable that things will eventually swing the other way. 

NYC only needs another inch of rain for a top 20 wettest spring. NYC is currently in 27th wettest place. 

2017....13.94....#27

1876....14.88...#20

Archived