Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I canceled a fishing trip today; it was supposed to cool down but is now progged to hit 90 again; many lakes are growing weeds and algae already. Can't remember a heat wave this early, though I don't think we actually met the criteria for an official one.

This was only the 6th time around the area that we made it to 95 or warmer by May 20th.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, doncat said:

Yes I agree. I have posted about this a couple of times.

I think it probably comes down to LGA being the new UHI capital after the vegetation growth started to block the NYC sensor. The difference yesterday was the axis of warmest temps shifting toward New England along with the historic 80 min at LGA. It's tough not to break or tie all time heat records when you start the day so warm. That part of the city really retains heat at night.

A new paper shows the strongest UHI near LGA

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa6e59/meta

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I think it probably comes down to LGA being the new UHI capital after the vegetation growth started to block the NYC sensor. The difference yesterday was the axis of warmest temps shifting toward New England along with the historic 80 min at LGA. It's tough not to break or tie all time heat records when you start the day so warm. That part of the city really retains heat at night.

Can't that be dealt with?  Central Park temps are definitely not representative of Manhattan anymore.  We barely dipped below 80 overnight (78) and we are literally on the Hudson River, where water temps are maybe in the upper 60s to around 70 now.

37 minutes ago, bluewave said:

No doubt that its the UHI capital...Still think that there is a problem though, Anyhoo its another hot one today...Min here was just 74 degrees.

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I don't get why the NWS doesnt do anything about the Central park vegetation issue....

There's that, there's the snow measurements.   KNYC is arguably one of the more prominent and referenced obs sites in the country, so it's pathetic how little attention is given to make sure it's accurate and representative.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

I canceled a fishing trip today; it was supposed to cool down but is now progged to hit 90 again; many lakes are growing weeds and algae already. Can't remember a heat wave this early, though I don't think we actually met the criteria for an official one.

The last day of a heatwave usually overperforms especially if the cold front slows down. 90 today would be a heatwave but not that unusual for mid to late May

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The latest HRRR has multiple lines of storms in the area this afternoon. 

Lots of towers going up as we speak.

SPC has upgraded our entire area into a marginal risk.

High hail potential with such steep low level lapse rates.

lllr.gif?1495213756232

Are we looking at the same HRRR?  Sure it has some storms popping up later down that way but saying multiple lines is a stretch IMO

Archived