joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This afternoon I got to witness the temp drop from 80 on Sunrise Highway to 65 on Ocean Parkway, which is about a 5 minute drive. The steepest drop occurred while crossing the Great South Bay, the temp plummeted from 75 to 68 within in a span of about 10-15 seconds.

In the winter it's often the opposite, I've seen the temp drop from the lower 40's along the Atlantic to the upper 20's heading north into Long Island. Mid 20's to lower 10's, you name it. Pretty cool to observe.

8 hours ago, Cfa said:

This afternoon I got to witness the temp drop from 80 on Sunrise Highway to 65 on Ocean Parkway, which is about a 5 minute drive. The steepest drop occurred while crossing the Great South Bay, the temp plummeted from 75 to 68 within in a span of about 10-15 seconds.

In the winter it's often the opposite, I've seen the temp drop from the lower 40's along the Atlantic to the upper 20's heading north into Long Island. Mid 20's to lower 10's, you name it. Pretty cool to observe.

I grew up in Oceanside and remember many times when the temp would be dramatically different down by the park than at my parents house a mile away.  There were times when we would get snow and my friends on the south end of town wouldn't and my friends up towards Sunrise Hwy would get way more snow than me and they were another mile further from the water.  During the summer I remember many times riding home from the beach the temp would start to climb going through Island Park and by the time I got to around Nathans it would be easily 15 degrees warmer than by the bridge in Long Beach.

The trough digging into the West has been one of our most reliable signals for record and much above normal warmth. Impressive reversal of this pattern for the late part of May with the ridge returning to the West and the trough in the East. 

eps_z500a_noram_1.thumb.png.362ec7f5257cf73c320f470deb914f5e.png

eps_z500a_noram_31.thumb.png.31c4a4d9fdaa768ea285fade810ec0ea.png

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The trough digging into the West has been one of our most reliable signals for record and much above normal warmth. Impressive reversal of this pattern for the late part of May with the ridge returning to the West and the trough in the East. 

Great look for winter

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Only thing stopping a big storm appears to be that the ULL begins weakening as the jet max approaches the East coast.

1 hour ago, Superstorm said:

Great look for winter

53 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Only thing stopping a big storm appears to be that the ULL begins weakening as the jet max approaches the East coast.

Storm details aside beyond 5 days, the current record warmth this week looks like it will be the warmest we see for a while.

Next 8 days about +4 ( 68 vs. 64).

So far -1.9x17 = -32   and this should be erased over the next 8, so back to normal by the 26th.    Will be a close call for the month + or -, and possibly the second miss for the CFS in a 3 month period.

Archived