SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This very impressive blocking pattern disrupted the 2010's May temperature pattern. Instead of the high for the month coming between 5-26 and 5-31 like all the other years, I think the high for the May will come early just before the 20th.

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_9.thumb.png.a5315ae2a58405c2052e239330918000.png

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Thru today temp departure here for May of -2.2 degrees...will add to that next several days before we warm up mid week.

-5.8 here. Current mean temperature is 0.2 cooler than April's final mean temperature. Only 2 days above 70 so far this month and 8 nights below 50. Much more akin to mid April weather thus far.

The latest EPS weeklies continue the theme of bringing in the warmest temperatures for the month of May around the 20th. This would be the earliest since 2004 and also the first time since then that it will be close to a week or more before Memorial Day instead of within a few days of the holiday. So this spring continues to break the mold of what we have seen in recent years.

Warmest May temperature and date at Newark....2016...96...5-28...2015...91...5-26...2014...88...5-27..2013...94...5-31...2012...92...5-29...2011...92...5-30...2010...95...5-26...2009...87...5-27...2008...87...5/27...2007...94...5/31...2006....94...5-29...2005...84...5-27..2004....92...5-23

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The latest EPS weeklies continue the theme of bringing in the warmest temperatures for the month of May around the 20th. This would be the earliest since 2004 and also the first time since then that it will be close to a week or more before Memorial Day instead of within a few days of the holiday. So this spring continues to break the mold of what we have seen in recent years.

Warmest May temperature and date at Newark....2016...96...5-28...2015...91...5-26...2014...88...5-27..2013...94...5-31...2012...92...5-29...2011...92...5-30...2010...95...5-26...2009...87...5-27...2008...87...5/27...2007...94...5/31...2006....94...5-29...2005...84...5-27..2004....92...5-23

Does it still have a wet look?

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Does it still have a wet look?

It never had the very wet look like we have seen over the past week or so with these stronger storms. But it does show cold frontal passages through week three with scattered shower and thunderstorm chances. Just nothing as amped up as the storm last Friday and for the weekend.

Just now, bluewave said:

It never had a wet look like we have seen over the past week or so with these stronger storms. But it does show cold frontal passages through week three with scattered shower and thunderstorm changes. Just nothing as amped up as the storm last Friday and for the weekend.

Well that makes sense considering we're getting to the very tail end of cut off season.

A very rare baroclinic forced event.

25 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Well that makes sense considering we're getting to the very tail end of cut off season.

A very rare baroclinic forced event.

Yeah, these 2 storms and cooler pattern were all about the big -NAO drop during the first half of May. 

Just now, bluewave said:

Yeah, these 2 storms and cooler pattern were all about the big -NAO drop during the first half of May. All these big drops since 2013 have been transient.

I know it's way out there in fantasy range but hints of a possible late re-curving tropical system in the day 10-14 period. Curious about what the EPS has to say about that.

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I know it's way out there in fantasy range but hints of a possible late re-curving tropical system in the day 10-14 period. Curious about what the EPS has to say about that.

Not much. But if the new monthlies are to be believed, a wetter pattern sets up ASO along the East Coast suggesting tropical activity.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Not much. But if the new monthlies are to be believed, a wetter pattern sets up ASO along the East Coast suggesting tropical activity.

Any idea if we can expect above average tropical activity in the Eastern Caribbean around the end of June? Have a ten day cruise booked for that time frame. Figured I was early enough in the season to be safe but now I'm not so sure.

45 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Any idea if we can expect above average tropical activity in the Eastern Caribbean around the end of June? Have a ten day cruise booked for that time frame. Figured I was early enough in the season to be safe but now I'm not so sure.

Climo is usually pretty quiet in that region for the last 10 days of June.

jun_21_30_sm.png.bff22cf471650f8acf68b947e0b075fa.png

9 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Next week looks like the complete opposite of the pattern we've been in:  Mostly sunny, dry, and plenty of chances for 80's.

I wouldn't call it mostly dry.

Pretty good chance of PM thunderstorms on Wednesday and Thursday and then again late in the weekend with approaching trough and whatever ends up developing down the Caribbean for early the next week. I agree that we probably won't be starring down the barrel of a hurricane but there's a good chance of some tropical moisture being fed into that trough.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Pretty good chance of PM thunderstorms on Wednesday and Thursday and then again late in the weekend with approaching trough and whatever ends up developing down the Caribbean for early the next week. I agree that we probably won't be starring down the barrel of a hurricane but there's a good chance of some tropical moisture being fed into that trough.

Well I don't mean bone dry, there are of course some chances.  There aren't any "washout" days like we've seen so often since the end of April though (at least for this week coming up, I'm not referring to next weeks tropical system).

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Well I don't mean bone dry, there are of course some chances.  There aren't any "washout" days like we've seen so often since the end of April though (at least for this week coming up, I'm not referring to next weeks tropical system).

I would just be very cautious with the upcoming pattern, that's all. Yes, most of next week looks pleasant and warm. 

Thereafter the AO and NAO are forecasted to take another dive. 

Mixed signals but I believe the pattern flips back to active around the 24th.

If you wanted to take a cynical approach, the GFS has a massive cutoff low in the East over Memorial Day weekend.

13 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The GFS tends to be overdone in these situations. The Euro is bone dry and Upton has no mention of any precip. in the M-Th period 

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

The GFS tends to be overdone in these situations. The Euro is bone dry and Upton has no mention of any precip. in the M-Th period 

Well the 00z ECMWF has a chance of thunderstorms on Thursday night with a SLP moving through Quebec and trailing cold front crossing the region. 

Looks marginally unstable as well.

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I would just be very cautious with the upcoming pattern, that's all. Yes, most of next week looks pleasant and warm. 

Thereafter the AO and NAO are forecasted to take another dive. 

Mixed signals but I believe the pattern flips back to active around the 24th.

If you wanted to take a cynical approach, the GFS has a massive cutoff low in the East over Memorial Day weekend.

I agree.  Mt. Holly likes the drier Euro, but does mention that storms may pop-up later on in the week with fairly supportive conditions.

8 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree.  Mt. Holly likes the drier Euro, but does mention that storms may pop-up later on in the week with fairly supportive conditions.

The Euro keeps the ridge in place longer so storms form to our West and then get shunted off to the North but the Euro does have some activity making it into the region on Thursday evening.

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Yes but was just wondering if the EPS is showing above average activity. BTW it's actually more focused on the first ten days of July.

The Euro seasonal that I saw is active for August through October close in near the East Coast.

Archived