Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

5 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Do you guys think we could see a rare May frost early next week? I always plant the tomatoes during the first few days of May, but I'm a little hesitant to do that right now because of how chilly it looks early next week. Right now to me it looks as if it could drop to about 40 monday night which would be ok, but it would only have to trend a little colder to get to frost level. I'm wondering if I should plant late this year to be safe. 

Definitely think we can see some temps in the 30's next week, especially in the typical cool spots.  Frost might be hard though, since you need clear and calm conditions.  Have to keep an eye on the forecast.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Morris said:

And gusting to 43 mph on the next hour's update. Dew point down to 38.

Looks like today and yesterday will be the warmest for a while. Be interesting to see if the ridge rebuilds again in the East later in the month and delivers a summer-like Memorial Day weekend.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Looks like today was the last over +10 day for a while. Be interesting to see if the trough can reload again out West later in the month and produce a summer-like Memorial Day weekend.

It should be less than +10 before midnight. No?

17 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

There should be a wind advisory out.  The skyscraper I work near the top of is rockin' and rollin', and it only does that in 45mph+ gusts. 

Rooftop station at Queens College just gusted to 48 mph at 179 feet. You can also see how much cooler the station runs from surrounding stations at the surface today. 74 at 179 feet and 77...JFK...78...LGA.

http://www.nysmesonet.org/data/meteogram#?stid=QUEE

37 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You were spot on with this, very gusty up here

Winds usually beat guidance when the mixed layer makes it near or above 800 mb. Numerous small branches and twigs down around here.

SND.gif.466811c09988a86369f56a9661ad526e.gif

2 hours ago, Tekken_Guy said:

Given the big cooldown, is it safe to say May will end up below normal? Or can the end of the month warm up enough for a positive departure?

The EPS brings the familiar warmer Western Trough- Eastern Ridge pattern back as we approach May 20th through the 31st. So the last 10 days of the month will determine the final monthly departure.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The EPS brings the familiar warmer Western Trough- Eastern Ridge pattern back as we approach May 20th through the 31st. So the last 10 days of the month will determine the final monthly departure.

given our recent history, we'll probably throw up some +15's in there and go above normal.  However we'd be looking at a +1 month and not +3

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

given our recent history, we'll probably throw up some +15's in there and go above normal.  However we'd be looking at a +1 month and not +3

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It's been the 2010's tradition to get a nice warm up at the end of May.

Newark high temperatures May 20-31

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

+1 these days is really below what's been happening lately so I would say that's cooler than the new  more realistic normal and not above that 1981 -2010 average which is fiction in today's climate.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

It's been the 2010's tradition to get a nice warm up at the end of May.

Newark high temperatures May 20-31

Overall since 2010 the climate has really been warming!

Archived