Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chinook

Mountain West Discussion

113 posts in this topic

In looking at the water vapor loop, it appears that dry air is working in from the southwest.  However it doesn't appear that NWS is concerned with that as they have bumped up totals across the board.  Here is the new P&C for mby:

Today
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 25 by 5pm. North northeast wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 28 by midnight. North northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. North wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

24 minutes ago, ValpoVike said:

In looking at the water vapor loop, it appears that dry air is working in from the southwest.  However it doesn't appear that NWS is concerned with that as they have bumped up totals across the board.  Here is the new P&C for mby:

Today
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 25 by 5pm. North northeast wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 28 by midnight. North northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. North wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Looks insane out there on the Elkorn Ave cam. Also the dryslot looks like it's northwestward progress has stalled already.

https://www.estesparkwebcams.com/elkhorn-avenue-webcam-east-old-church-shops/

2 people like this

We just had the first thunder snow I've experienced in a long time! Large trees are breaking apart, this is going to be messy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We have quite a storm. There are large flakes. You can clearly see the slush on the street. The snow seems to be packing down, it's larger than a 10:1 ratio, but I don't know how much.

mWSEuiW.jpg

1 person likes this

This is insane...it's May 18!!! 

I know CO and WY climo leans toward bigger snowstorms in March/April vs. DJF...but wow.  And this isn't just a high mountain top event...although even that would be impressive for the time of year.  Cheyenne is expecting 12-18", and Laramie 18-24". 

and of course I flew to DC where it's 90 and humid... enjoy (I guess?!?) stay safe and hope your trees are OK.

1 person likes this

Have to say, was pretty sure something like this would happen for CO given how many big time late snows we've had down here this year. There were major storms 2/28, 3/29, 4/29, before today (5/18). All heavy snow or blizzards. Pretty good for Spring. Lot of places in NM had near-record late measurable snow, so it makes sense that CO would later in the season. 

"Here comes the Sun" --> colder upper atmosphere, blocking, etc.

This is part of why I went with a "cool" June in much of the West too...gonna be a lot of snow in May this month to kill the build up of heat.

I am sure there are many branches down around town. This tree is droopy. It just kept snowing. We never had a monthly total 6" of snow in March or November or October or February... now we got that in 12 hours on May 18th.

SFJWfT6.jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

We got buried.  Here just north of Estes, 31".  Still had periods of +SN until about 20 minutes ago.

20170519_071328_resized.jpg

wow

Final photo, I promise.  This is a shot west towards the divide once the storm cleared.  Now it is time to enjoy the snow!

20170519_085938_1495213433619_resized.jpg

1 person likes this

Been watching this. How about some snow totals? Cannot find any info on the web so far. Great pictures too. Keep them coming.

30 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Been watching this. How about some snow totals? Cannot find any info on the web so far. Great pictures too. Keep them coming.

I came in at about 31" just north of Estes Park.  I heard the max was 42" near Allenspark.

Edit:  Here is a link to NWS Denver snowfall reports:  http://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?sid=bou

2 people like this

I think I got 7" here with extremely low snow ratio, with some 1.85 to 3.25" of precipitation on CoCoRAHS reports from 7AM Thursday to 7AM today, and it snowed for approximately *those* 24 hours. A 31" snow report is hidden under the 25" icon at Estes Park. 3.1" in the mountains is obviously a very early report (May 17 maybe)

5qKgXPr.jpg

1 person likes this

Ended up with about a foot of cement in my area of Bailey. Spring storms are nice here because the moist layer is deeper, meaning we don't get shafted as often on the downsloping from a higher ridge to the northeast.  Typical midwinter storms give areas 10 miles NE of me at the same elevation 2-4x the snow.

This pic is from this evening, some 36 hours after the storm. Much of the snow has melted, but not all. That's really an indicator of the density of the snow that fell. Thousands of limbs are down around town, many of them seem to be 1" to 3" branches, but some could be much bigger branches.

l23gvtt.jpg

It is remarkable at how quickly the snow has melted.  We have gone from 31" on the ground Friday morning, down to mostly small patches of snow which I believe will all be gone by end of day.  This should really help green things up and recharge the aquifers.  I do wonder how this will affect the traditional target opening date of Memorial Day for Trail Ridge Road up on the divide, which unfortunately likely will be later.

In Fort Collins, west of Drake and College got hit really hard and some very large trees/limbs came down.  Probably the biggest was half of one of the biggest cottonwoods in Colorado. See below:

26dfYa9.jpg

1LARcHq.jpg

It's pretty amazing at how different SSTA are from last May 22. I used +/3.2K but some places have changed by more than that. Relatively radical changes in AMO/PDO/ONI values seem more common near the solar minimum, so suspect this type of wild/quick swinging in ocean temperatures will continue for some time.

SSTA YoY Change 5.22.16 to 5.22.17.gif