Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2017 at 5:21 PM, Powerball said:

For the most part, it's been like this since 2012.

Something's gotta give eventually.

Well, Marshall took a direct hit in 2014 and had quite the streak from 2010-14 and we were narrowly missed by early yesterday morning's damaging event. But, yeah, it's been pretty much dead the past 3 summers including this year.

That's a heck of a GFS run around 240+ hours.  Significant hurricane strikes the east coast of Florida, then moves northwest and gives a nice beating to the Tampa area.  As if that weren't enough, it reemerges in the Gulf and rakes the entire coast of Louisiana before finally moving fully onshore in Texas.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's a heck of a GFS run around 240+ hours.  Significant hurricane strikes the east coast of Florida, then moves northwest and gives a nice beating to the Tampa area.  As if that weren't enough, it reemerges in the Gulf and rakes the entire coast of Louisiana before finally moving fully onshore in Texas.

If that happens you have a great chance of this happening:

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is what 850 mb temps near 35C in the Dakotas looks like

gfs_T2m_ncus_37.thumb.png.c1c1d7acce4d63f4f156dc3a35b1d132.png

And I would even extend that ridge further east too from there. That heat will billow east if a hurricane goes into Louisana.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If that happens you have a great chance of this happening:

And I would even extend that ridge further east too from there. That heat will billow east if a hurricane goes into Louisana.

Well, I think the GFS is doing its usual underplay with low level temps in our region, as thermal fields aloft at 216 would support something significantly warmer. Speaking of the ridge, the 500 mb depiction is pretty impressive with almost the entire country bathed in 588 dm or greater heights around the time of the hurricane, sans the northeast.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Well, I think the GFS is doing its usual underplay with low level temps in our region, as thermal fields aloft at 216 would support something significantly warmer. Speaking of the ridge, the 500 mb depiction is pretty impressive with almost the entire country bathed in 588 dm or greater heights around the time of the hurricane, sans the northeast.

That is what blocks the road for the hurricane to go up the coast too. It has to go west.

37 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Since tonight looks like another non-event, this whole active stretch has been very lame for the QCA.  One band of non-severe storms at 4am Monday morning.  Other than that jack squat.

That stuff in eastern IA might make a close pass to your north.

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Speaking of CGs, this was caught on camera at O'Hare this morning.  

19961571_10154697234332411_4814825530694212050_n.jpg.13df8c2c721512853c4d51f86978f527.jpg

Wow, that's nuts. The storms on Monday seemed to have a lot of close range CG in them in many areas as well.

Had my first dose of dying MCS in awhile today, and KIWX eventually came back on after about a 6 hour outage, so I'd give today a solid 2/10. Woo.

Unsure if anything will materialize tonight...

Its just like the Atlantic hurricane season, I don't expect anything interesting to happen "ever again". In my case severe weather is not really a thing and just a plain thunderstorm is an event but I don't even remember (not serious) what those are like. I got some including small hail at 9:40 am in June which was unique but nothing over-the-top. Really what it is is anything that is worth your salt happens when you aren't expecting it. I can't remember any severe or winter event here that was hyped that actually lived up to it at least during the last 3-4 years for sure. I make a mental note every time something big happens and pretty much every one wasn't hyped. A great example was that insane rainfall event that both central MI and central southern Ontario got in mid-June where a band of storms set up between 11:00 pm and ~7:00 am - dumped 158 mm of rain in Mount Forest in that span. That must be one of the most extreme events close to me for many reasons but to put this point in perspective, I've never personally seen 100 or more mm forecast in a 48 hour period either there or IMBY. The 2nd point: was it hyped? Hell no it wasn't. I don't recall any big fanfare about that area of Ontario getting a massive amount of rain but just a soggy few days. I don't remember or even checked what the forecast precip. amount was for Mount Forest the night they got that 158 mm but if I were to guess it was likely about 30 mm!!!

About this summer so far, I notice I'm feeling hot even when the temperature is average now. It doesn't need to be a heatwave for my frame of mind to believe it is one. I'm including those days where there was no humidity.

Fpr the complaints, all I can say is try working in the profession and having to deal with slow/boring days. Sometimes the interest of the job hurts especially in boring patterns and with SEMI getting perpetually missed lately it really stings.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my profession and I love my job but it would be nice to have something interesting at least once and a while.

16 hours ago, weatherbo said:

At the peak of summer, it managed to stay in the low 50's here all afternoon with the wind chill dipping in the 40's at times... fog, rain for the past two days.  Beautiful September weather! 52 currently

Nothing like reading both the short term and long term forecast and hearing "Polar Jet will bring down cold air from Canada both today through Sunday and then again Sunday through Tuesday." Yuck. 

We we shouldn't be talking about polar jets in mid July. Not to mention, lack of what should be severe weather with a polar jet so far south for this time of year. 

Archived