Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Irma coverage yesterday, it was impressive to see those trees holding up in gusts over 100 mph, especially the palm trees.  Of course there was still plenty of tree damage.  But I was thinking if you put those kind of winds on our trees, it would pretty much be total wipeout.

On the hazard simplification note I feel that "Winter Weather Advisory" is just unnecessarily vague in general, and especially so now that they are consolidating the Freezing Rain Advisory into it. It looks like their goal is simpler/fewer types of warnings/watches/advisories with more to-the-point detail in the description.

To be completely honest I don't think the public cares too much about this stuff. I think they check the forecast for any sensible weather, i.e. "will it rain tomorrow" and leave it at that. When there's hazardous weather I think they sort of hear the type of advisory (i.e. they see Winter Storm Warning) and then they listen to their preferred TV weather man break down the threat. But my opinion is that they don't care too much about the hazardous weather except when it's a very newsworthy event directly affecting them. Just in conversations with people I hear them misquote forecasts all the time if weather comes up. For instance if there's a Winter Storm Warning and it comes up in conversation they might say "Oh yeah I heard we're getting another 6 inches tomorrow morning!" even if the actual forecast was for snow tapering off by 11 P.M. that night. Just the other day my professor mentioned that hurricanes Irma, Katia, and Jose would all bring hurricane impacts to the US when Irma was the only one that had a realistic threat of that (a Jose landfall was (and still is) way out of predictability range). I think he just saw a headline containing the three hurricane names but didn't investigate any more. This is the real challenge in making a WRN. The public just doesn't care at all about interesting/hazardous weather, and they're perfectly fine with only being generally aware of a warning/advisory being in affect and nothing more (with the exception of maybe Tornado Warnings, at least here in the Midwest).

17 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

On the hazard simplification note I feel that "Winter Weather Advisory" is just unnecessarily vague in general, and especially so now that they are consolidating the Freezing Rain Advisory into it. It looks like their goal is simpler/fewer types of warnings/watches/advisories with more to-the-point detail in the description.

To be completely honest I don't think the public cares too much about this stuff. I think they check the forecast for any sensible weather, i.e. "will it rain tomorrow" and leave it at that. When there's hazardous weather I think they sort of hear the type of advisory (i.e. they see Winter Storm Warning) and then they listen to their preferred TV weather man break down the threat. But my opinion is that they don't care too much about the hazardous weather except when it's a very newsworthy event directly affecting them. Just in conversations with people I hear them misquote forecasts all the time if weather comes up. For instance if there's a Winter Storm Warning and it comes up in conversation they might say "Oh yeah I heard we're getting another 6 inches tomorrow morning!" even if the actual forecast was for snow tapering off by 11 P.M. that night. Just the other day my professor mentioned that hurricanes Irma, Katia, and Jose would all bring hurricane impacts to the US when Irma was the only one that had a realistic threat of that (a Jose landfall was (and still is) way out of predictability range). I think he just saw a headline containing the three hurricane names but didn't investigate any more. This is the real challenge in making a WRN. The public just doesn't care at all about interesting/hazardous weather, and they're perfectly fine with only being generally aware of a warning/advisory being in affect and nothing more (with the exception of maybe Tornado Warnings, at least here in the Midwest).

The average Joe only looks at temps and % chance of precip. They also look at snow predictions, that's it.

2 hours ago, rainsucks said:

I can never understand why anyone would want cold weather all the time and wish for record-breaking cold no matter the season. Winter is so awful, and cold springs are the worst. 

Also, cold is far more deadly than heat, but some are too ignorant to realize that. 

hopefully you don't live a long lake michigan

3 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, but even Jonger and I agree with him on that point, lol

Oh I agree cold springs are the pits.  If he lives close to the lake like I do it's always the pits.   Get away from the lake and springs are normally pretty spectacular in the midwest if you keep expectations in check.

11 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Oh I agree cold springs are the pits.  If he lives close to the lake like I do it's always the pits.   Get away from the lake and springs are normally pretty spectacular in the midwest if you keep expectations in check.

Truth, huge difference sometimes between just Milwaukee and Madison/Rockford, let alone other parts of the Midwest.  This is why I think the best four seasons climo is probably a city like Madison, though if you take out April and May I guess lakeside cities like Milwaukee are pretty nice.

Yeah that wouldn't be good.  Hope they have a quiet finish to the tropical season.

Getting kind of fun to scroll through the long range GFS maps that show snow from time to time in the Rockies.  

I follow a bunch of ski related Facebook pages, they were recapping all the peaks that have seen first snow in the last few days. Mainly in Canada, Banff etc. It's happening :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an article about how the NWS fixed the wind chill index in 2001. This story is about engineer Maurice Bluestein from Indianapolis, who realized the old wind chill index was wrong, and did something about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/science/maurice-bluestein-who-modernized-the-wind-chill-index-dies-at-76.html?smid=tw-nytimesscience&smtyp=cur

The two began studying wind chill and wrote papers about their findings, drawing the attention of both the United States and Canadian governments in 2001. Soon they were enlisted by both countries to develop a new formula.

As part of the project they conducted a series of experiments with 12 people, male and female, measuring heat loss from the face in cold and wind as they walked on treadmills in a wind tunnel at different temperatures. A “wet trial” sprayed participants’ faces with a splash of water every 15 seconds to measure whether the presence of precipitation would make people feel colder.

After plotting the data, they found that in some cases the original wind chill index was off by just a few degrees, but that the discrepancy grew at higher wind speeds. It confirmed what many meteorologists had already suspected: The old calculation had exaggerated.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Getting some conflicting signals about winter.  Some reasons to be optimistic if you like cold/snow, but some things that are a little disconcerting (some 2nd year Ninas after a Nino really stunk!).  Whatever happens happens, right?

I'm surprised we don't have a winter thread yet.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Getting some conflicting signals about winter.  Some reasons to be optimistic if you like cold/snow, but some things that are a little disconcerting (some 2nd year Ninas after a Nino really stunk!).  Whatever happens happens, right?

Hopefully that full-on lag effect that happened with the Super NINO carries over so that this acts more like the 1st yr Nina we thought we were getting last season. 

Archived