Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

42 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Tired of watching stuff pass all around me, not much to talk about. This has to be one of the worst years for active weather for this state in history.

Its very odd here. Wyandotte was creamed Aug 2nd with 1.78" of rain in less than an hour, wind, & enough marble sized hail to briefly give the ground a dusting of white. Best storm I've witnessed in years. Then on Friday (11th), another severe storm popped right near the river, giving wyandotte another dose of heavy hail, wind, & 0.91" rain. My mom videoed the storm at her house to show me, as I didn't see a drop while at work in Farmington hills. Looked as bad or worse as the Aug 2nd storm, but was shorter in duration. August rainfall imby is 2.83" while 7 miles due west DTW is at 0.63". Its so odd in that each of those 2 storms were better than any thunderstorm mby has seen in years, but overall I can't remember a more boring, non-active summer as this one. Not a lot of variation in temp or anything. This would be like a winter with 2 severe snowstorms and with almost none of the nickel and dime stuff in between.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Its very odd here. Wyandotte was creamed Aug 2nd with 1.78" of rain in less than an hour, wind, & enough marble sized hail to briefly give the ground a dusting of white. Best storm I've witnessed in years. Then on Friday (11th), another severe storm popped right near the river, giving wyandotte another dose of heavy hail, wind, & 0.91" rain. My mom videoed the storm at her house to show me, as I didn't see a drop while at work in Farmington hills. Looked as bad or worse as the Aug 2nd storm, but was shorter in duration. August rainfall imby is 2.83" while 7 miles due west DTW is at 0.63". Its so odd in that each of those 2 storms were better than any thunderstorm mby has seen in years, but overall I can't remember a more boring, non-active summer as this one. Not a lot of variation in temp or anything. This would be like a winter with 2 severe snowstorms and with almost none of the nickel and dime stuff in between.

It is a summer just like the past winter. A bunch of drab with one good storm.

53 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It is a summer just like the past winter. A bunch of drab with one good storm.

Yeah or the winter of 15-16 around here. Had the November 21 snowstorm (the downtown Chicago/Alek screwjob) and then a good snowstorm in late February. I guess I should mention sleetmageddon on December 28.  Other than that, nickel/dime almost nonexistent imby.

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Looks like the mitten effect.

Yeah it is just horrible timing every event though, because even the UP has done very well. It is why I do think there is still a chance our number comes up this year. 2007 was mostly quiet until late August then we had a small tornado event followed up by the mid October outbreak.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Yeah it is just horrible timing every event though, because even the UP has done very well. It is why I do think there is still a chance our number comes up this year. 2007 was mostly quiet until late August then we had a small tornado event followed up by the mid October outbreak.

I hope that you're right. I then would like to see that carry right on through for a winter 2007-08 redux.

12 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I hope that you're right. I then would like to see that carry right on through for a winter 2007-08 redux.

That year really seemed like it had an abbreviated fall.  From the historic October hot spell and then right into winter by late November/early December.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

I would give anything for a repeat of 07-08's winter.

There is no more textbook winter for the storm loving crowd then 2007-08. Especially those that aren't fans of lasting snowcover. We never had the deep snow like we would see in 08-09, 10-11, 13-14, & 14-15, but it was simply a parade of winter storms. A solid 70-80" of snow over the Detroit area PLUS several ice and rain storms. 

For me though, 2013-14 will always be king.

On 7/30/2017 at 11:21 PM, Hoosier said:

While we're in this horribly boring stretch...

Anyone remember this hot day 18 years ago?

170731031923u.gif.cb956b6225aa457c60c8ac332ee7aa4a.gif

I was under that 102F in S Bend, having an in-ground pool built. It was too hot for the crew working down in the massive hole (with zero breeze) so the owner cancelled the day's work. Pretty frustrating when your new pool doesn't get up and running until after the heat breaks! :rolleyes:

I have relatives southwest of Houston. Things could get interesting there, at least from a rainfall perspective if not wind (pending track of course).  They are not natives and have only been there a few years so this will be unlike anything they've seen.

First major strike in Texas since Ike in 2008, I hope your relatives are taking this serious. I remember I was in Florida visiting my grandparents in port Charlotte, FL August 04’ when Charley struck. We evacuated, and met my dad/uncle in the panhandle, they drove from champaign, to come rescue us. My grandparents neighbor a native of the area for 50 years chose to ride out Charley, said it was the single most frightening moment of his life. 

6 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I am still emotionally drained from watching Jeff Piotrowski's live feed from Rockport last night. But I will survive because I'm Blue Shed Strong.

The Blue Shed.jpg

That shed must be made of titanium. Seriously they need to make all of Florida's buildings of whatever that building material is.

If anyone is interested in an NFL pick-em league we have two leagues which members on this board can participate in.  One of the leagues is free and has been an ongoing tradition of Eastern/American Wx for at least 10 years now.  This league is done directly through this forum in the sports thread.  

The second league is entering its third season here on the boards and is a pay-league.  He platform we've used in the past is yahoo, however, a different platform may be used this year.  

If you have any interest in participating in one or both of the leagues check out the following thread.  The more participants, the more fun the league, and for the pay league, the more potential winnings!

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50203-nfl-pick-em-2017-2018/#comment-4596041

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Initially, I was bemoaning that very idea - however, I think I've come around to wanting this seemingly persistent NW flow to just die altogether. Seems like we've been in this pattern for the last few years...

No we haven't. If that were true then Feb 2017 and Dec 2015 wouldn't have put up double digit positive temp anomalies for the eastern 2/3rds of the country. And last fall wouldn't have been one of the warmest on record for the CONUS. 

Archived