SnowHabit
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Came across this earlier figured I would share:

http://livestormchasers.com/2017/07/24/breaking-news-an-individual-posing-as-a-national-weather-service-employee-is-asking-for-personal-information-nws-says-read-more/

Pretty dumb move to impersonate a NWS employee, but this guy was around Chicago.

Dont mean to kick a hornet's nest, but this guy has been doing stupid stuff for the past few months; like reckless driving and getting himself banned off of spotternetwork(among other things too). Has gained quite the poor reputation because of it. Although he is stupid, when I saw this, saying I wasn't surprised  would be a lie. I wonder what was he hoping to accomplish??

38 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Dont mean to kick a hornet's nest, but this guy has been doing stupid stuff for the past few months; like reckless driving and getting himself banned off of spotternetwork(among other things too). Has gained quite the poor reputation because of it. Although he is stupid, when I saw this, saying I wasn't surprised  would be a lie. I wonder what was he hoping to accomplish??

Yeah Andyhb gave me more information about him, this seems like a complete degenerate.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

While we're in this horribly boring stretch...

Anyone remember this hot day 18 years ago?

170731031923u.gif.cb956b6225aa457c60c8ac332ee7aa4a.gif

Lets see. That was two years before I bought this house, so I was in an apartment without A/C. I was probably hiding out in the red SUV back then. It had a real decent A/C in it.

I remember that day of July 31, 1999 posted by Hoosier. I was waiting on the clouds and thunderstorms with a cold front in Toledo. It was about a temp of 95 and a dew of 75. Toledo had high 95, low 75. July 1999 was a drought for central OH climate division, as per the Palmer Drought Index (archived map, PDI value -3.00 to -3.99) The Ohio Valley was some 3.5 deg F above average for July 1999. Columbus-CMH at a whopping 5.0 deg F above average for July 1999. That's quite unusual.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not this region but some impressive heat in the Pac NW.  Portland should have a couple days well into the 100s and Seattle has a shot to crack 100.

Euro has Portland at 109, breaks their all time record of 107. Seattle at SEATAC is forecast to be 100, which is 3 below their record. Also the Fraser Valley area of BC near where Andyhb is will potentially be above 100 as well. Not quite to Vancouver though.

58 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Euro has Portland at 109, breaks their all time record of 107. Seattle at SEATAC is forecast to be 100, which is 3 below their record. Also the Fraser Valley area of BC near where Andyhb is will potentially be above 100 as well. Not quite to Vancouver though.

Seattle has officially had 100+ only 3 times:

7/16/1941:  100

7/20/1994:  100

7/29/2009:  103

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like forecast temps were cut back some in the NW, especially around Seattle. Offices mentioning smoke as a factor. 

Yeah there was very thick smoke in Seattle yesterday, so much so, it was creating a cloud layer and dropping vis down to 4-5 miles. Like now actually.

24 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The Des Moines NWS tweeted this out this morning.  Check out the precip difference between ne and se Iowa over the last 19 months.

DGoosboXYAAB5Lv.jpg

Wow, that is nuts.  I'm assuming average precip doesn't vary a ton between southeast IA and northeast IA, so you are talking about actual amount differences of 40"+

3 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

August or October? This is awful for August.

For one brief fleeting moment I actually considered turning on the heat in my office today.    I've never minded unusual warmth in cold season, but unusual cold in warm season sucks for some reason.   

Maybe it's anecdotal but it always seems like cool summers lead to warm autumns.   If that's the case this year than I'll gladly put up with days like today.   Nothing better than 60's and sunshine in November!

23 hours ago, buckeye said:

For one brief fleeting moment I actually considered turning on the heat in my office today.    I've never minded unusual warmth in cold season, but unusual cold in warm season sucks for some reason.   

Maybe it's anecdotal but it always seems like cool summers lead to warm autumns.   If that's the case this year than I'll gladly put up with days like today.   Nothing better than 60's and sunshine in November!

The cool days aren't so bad in June when the sun angle is high.

But yeah, they really start to bite this time of year, with the days getting shorter.

August and September are the two months where the sky always begins to look like this. I have assumed for a number of years that the natural pattern combined with prime forest fire season, is the cause of it.

Even as a kid, the late August/September sky always has a tinge to it.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I know it's really boring but come on, we can't go a full day without ANY posts.

Tired of watching stuff pass all around me, not much to talk about. This has to be one of the worst years for active weather for this state in history.

31 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Tired of watching stuff pass all around me, not much to talk about. This has to be one of the worst years for active weather for this state in history.

Weird, it's been one of the best severe weather seasons in WNY that I can recall. Including a 4 tornado outbreak in our region. The highlight being an EF2 that went over Hamburg/OP which has over 100k people total. Looks like tropical season is going to get fired up soon, cannot wait! 

http://www.weather.gov/buf/July20Tornadoes

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Weird, it's been one of the best severe weather seasons in WNY that I can recall. Including a 4 tornado outbreak in our region. Looks like tropical season is going to get fired up soon, cannot wait! 

http://www.weather.gov/buf/July20Tornadoes

Every direction including Canada has had much more severe weather. Bill Deedler posted this map last week on facebook, it really represents the deficit locally compared to around the area:

20645418_10213685283265482_8033913088363

Just now, Stebo said:

Every direction including Canada has had much more severe weather. Bill Deedler posted this map last week on facebook, it really represents the deficit locally compared to around the area:

20645418_10213685283265482_8033913088363

Wow, I did not even realize that. Usually Michigan gets much better severe than WNY due to Lake Erie killing most convection. 

Archived