• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Blah... Southern Michigan is in the crap-shoot this year for severe wx. Even riding the death ridge - the storms (showers) are moving through between 2 and 8 in the morning. 

You'd think eventually the systems would change timing of when they cross a certain area, but this year has been relentless and I see more of the same in the next three days. :rolleyes:

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2017 at 6:50 AM, slow poke said:

I agree with you Hoosier, SE MI is the worst part of our whole state, unfortunately it's where most of the jobs are and why most of us live in this area. With that said, every time I drive through OH, IN and IL I think the same thing, no way I could live in any part of them states.

I like living in SE MI. The economy is doing pretty good in the state but up north where the true beauty is jobs are more scarce. That's how it is in any rural area. I like Chicago but wouldn't want to live there. I visit fairly often though. We have slightly more winter weather in Detroit overall when you break down the stats, we get slightly less cold on a cold winter night and slightly less hot on a hot summer day, but i think the biggest thing you would actually notice is more winter sun in Chicago. You also have to look at the big picture. Is Chicago better for severe overall? Severe is just too hard to keep track of so I don't know. Not sure but definitely this year they are.

My brother couldn't believe how dry out lawns were when he came home in early July. Said it was lush and green in chicago. 

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Models trended from heavy rain and storms here to nothing, the Michigan two-step is almost complete.

I got missed by the complex overnight. We'll see about tonight... I think I'll get something but there's a chance that the real excitement is north.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I got missed by the complex overnight. We'll see about tonight... I think I'll get something but there's a chance that the real excitement is north.

Nah this one gets you and then rides the border or just a hair south to Fort Wayne and Columbus. Amazing how this area is just finding any way possible to get missed.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Nah this one gets you and then rides the border or just a hair south to Fort Wayne and Columbus. Amazing how this area is just finding any way possible to get missed.

By real excitement, I'm talking multiple inches of rain or severe weather.  If I get less than 1" from garden variety storms, that is not too exciting to me.  

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

By real excitement, I'm talking multiple inches of rain or severe weather.  If I get less than 1" from garden variety storms, that is not too exciting to me.  

You'll get severe weather at the very least, it might come through around midnight though.

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Lol new day 2 moves SLGT almost to the border, should be right out of the state tomorrow morning, maybe marginal will go with it like yesterday.

Yup. Three days of slight risk, all three times shoved to the South. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I like living in SE MI. The economy is doing pretty good in the state but up north where the true beauty is jobs are more scarce. That's how it is in any rural area. I like Chicago but wouldn't want to live there. I visit fairly often though. We have slightly more winter weather in Detroit overall when you break down the stats, we get slightly less cold on a cold winter night and slightly less hot on a hot summer day, but i think the biggest thing you would actually notice is more winter sun in Chicago. You also have to look at the big picture. Is Chicago better for severe overall? Severe is just too hard to keep track of so I don't know. Not sure but definitely this year they are.

My brother couldn't believe how dry out lawns were when he came home in early July. Said it was lush and green in chicago. 

As far as the bolded, oh yes by far (even without pulling up the stats).

At least the Chicago *area* is.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

I went back through the logs at work for the month, only 1 shift with thunderstorms for myself and 3 shifts total for the month. June was pretty similar as well too.

Sad part is, we're doing much better to-date (based on storm reports) than we were last season.

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

Not even a drop of rain here, let alone severe weather.

Looks like Lucy's going to try it with the Football again on Sunday. Yeah right.

Haha yeah. Not too sure why the SPC made such a large slight risk (think marginal would've been more than sufficient) and again, not sure why Michigan is even included - can't find any guidance that shows severe weather over the area let alone convection in general.

Everything I see is South.

4 hours ago, Powerball said:

Not even a drop of rain here, let alone severe weather.

Looks like Lucy's going to try it with the Football again on Sunday. Yeah right.

Another chance during the week perhaps? 

What will be the fail mode for SE MI this time?  Bad timing only to have things refire farther south the next day?

swody5_severeprob.png.f13abbb023a43f37fdffae032c65bd3f.png

32 minutes ago, Powerball said:

For whatever reason, SPC continues to maintain the slight risk for tomorrow despite little model support for it.

Between strong mid-level drying and being in the Left-Rear Quadrant of the upper jet, very little's going to happen.

SPC actually agrees with the model support issue, but still feels the environment is ripe for storms to fire. We'll see.

"Models seem to be less aggressive with convective coverage in Illinois/Indiana and vicinity, although the background synoptic environment supports clusters/bands of storms in these areas with an appreciable wind/hail threat into the evening."

Not many people are talking about this, but the header on TropicalTidbits said that the GFS was updated in some fashion on July 19th. Browsing through the GFS surface temp anomalies, I am guessing now the GFS is seeing the urban heat islands (around the world? around the USA?) Check out the temp anomalies of some 4-5 deg C in Atlanta above the background temp anomaly. 4-5 deg C is a lot, perhaps too much. I wonder if the new GFS is too warm with surface temperatures. That would be new.

vGRMZ3f.png

On 7/22/2017 at 2:05 PM, IWXwx said:

SPC actually agrees with the model support issue, but still feels the environment is ripe for storms to fire. We'll see.

"Models seem to be less aggressive with convective coverage in Illinois/Indiana and vicinity, although the background synoptic environment supports clusters/bands of storms in these areas with an appreciable wind/hail threat into the evening."

As expected (and progged by the models), very little happened locally.

Things were a bit more active in other parts of the subforum, but certainly not slight risk-worthy.

15 minutes ago, Powerball said:

As expected (and progged by the models), very little happened locally.

Things were a bit more active in other parts of the subforum, but certainly not slight risk-worthy.

I'm not so sure.  I think a slight was justified as there were close to 30 filtered severe reports in the area as of last update (hard to see them all on the map since they are close together, but I went through the text).

today_filtered.gif.95c7a77941f421647b998a66f9cf3f71.gif

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Today is 83 years since the hottest temperature was recorded at Midway Airport in Chicago.  Here's a map of area readings from WGN which shows how a lake breeze impacted high temps, particularly on the 23rd.

feature07232017.jpg.c5f2f9c908f8a8dff5aa754b985d63b2.jpg

Interesting. It was hotter in Chicago than Detroit, but today's is the anniversary of our hottest temp on record, 105F!

Archived