• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Nothing like reading both the short term and long term forecast and hearing "Polar Jet will bring down cold air from Canada both today through Sunday and then again Sunday through Tuesday." Yuck. 

We we shouldn't be talking about polar jets in mid July. Not to mention, lack of what should be severe weather with a polar jet so far south for this time of year. 

"Summer"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Santiago, Chile had accumulating snow.

First time in 20 years, also from Wiki:

Precipitation is usually only rain, as snowfall only occurs in the Andes and Precordillera, being rare in eastern districts, and extremely rare in most of the city.[12] In winter, the snow line is about 2,100 metres (6,890 ft), and it ranges from 1500 metres (4900 feet) up to 2900 metres (9500 feet).

Needless to say it is pretty rare, my guess would be the equivalent of Los Angeles getting snow, it does happen but it is very very rare.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

First time in 20 years, also from Wiki:

Precipitation is usually only rain, as snowfall only occurs in the Andes and Precordillera, being rare in eastern districts, and extremely rare in most of the city.[12] In winter, the snow line is about 2,100 metres (6,890 ft), and it ranges from 1500 metres (4900 feet) up to 2900 metres (9500 feet).

Needless to say it is pretty rare, my guess would be the equivalent of Los Angeles getting snow, it does happen but it is very very rare.

LA hasn't seen snow in 54 years though. It's hard for me to believe it ever got snow in the first place given its proximity to the ocean. Definitely interesting to hear that LA has had snow before.

On July 14, 2017 at 8:28 PM, ThisIsNotSparta said:

"Summer"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pretty sad when a +1 departure is considered cold nowadays. 

we can't go by the 1981-2010 normals anymore because our climate is changing so rapidly.

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

LA hasn't seen snow in 54 years though. It's hard for me to believe it ever got snow in the first place given its proximity to the ocean. Definitely interesting to hear that LA has had snow before.

Okay maybe not LA but somewhere in that area, or maybe the Carolina Coast seeing snow. That is a pretty infrequent occurrence but it does occur.

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Okay maybe not LA but somewhere in that area, or maybe the Carolina Coast seeing snow. That is a pretty infrequent occurrence but it does occur.

I was wondering about somewhere like San Antonio as a comparison.  I know they get snow there more than once or twice a lifetime, but not sure exactly how frequently.

11 minutes ago, CCM said:

snow will probably be a relic of the past in a few decades for cities south of 40° latitude. 

Most of those places already suck, relatively speaking.  You may see the frequency decrease further but I doubt it becomes non existent.

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I took a look at San Antonio snow climo. They've had 44 days of measurable snow (0.1"+) on record.  16 days with 1"+, 8 days with 3"+, and 1 day with 6"+ (which was actually 13.2" on January 12, 1985!).  Records go back to 1895.

Yeah South Central Texas would be another great example.

A couple comments with respect to the conversation about the rarity of snow in certain places:

1. When we say "Los Angeles", are we referring to the city proper or Los Angeles County? There is a difference, because significant parts of the county are much higher in elevation (thus, would be more suspectible to snowfall than say, downtown LA).

2. San Antonio is sort of unique due to its proximity to the Rocky Mountains (Chinook Winds), which makes it easier for the occasionally extreme cold blast to advect into that region. 

40 minutes ago, Powerball said:

A couple comments with respect to the conversation about the rarity of snow in certain places:

1. When we say "Los Angeles", are we referring to the city proper or Los Angeles County? There is a difference, because significant parts of the county are much higher in elevation (thus, would be more suspectible to snowfall than say, downtown LA).

2. San Antonio is sort of unique due to its proximity to the Rocky Mountains (Chinook Winds), which makes it easier for the occasionally extreme cold blast to advect into that region. 

City for LA. County doesn't work because they get snow fairly regularly in the mountains outside of LA.

In keeping with the "let's come up with the least exciting weather imaginable" outcome, I can totally see the following scenario playing out around here.

MCS tonight gets in here toward morning in a weaker/non severe state, but still enough to result in leftover debris clouds/outflow to take a bite out of the maximum heating potential tomorrow.  Then, much of the late morning/early afternoon is spent dry, only to have redevelopment occur to my south. In fact, I'd almost place money on that evolution.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In keeping with the "let's come up with the least exciting weather imaginable" outcome, I can totally see the following scenario playing out around here.

MCS tonight gets in here toward morning in a weaker/non severe state, but still enough to result in leftover debris clouds/outflow to take a bite out of the maximum heating potential tomorrow.  Then, much of the late morning/early afternoon is spent dry, only to have redevelopment occur to my south. In fact, I'd almost place money on that evolution.

Unfortunately, your forecast may verify. Look at the bright side, you may get awakened by a 7AM clap of thunder as the MCS takes its last gasps :D

6 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Unfortunately, your forecast may verify. Look at the bright side, you may get awakened by a 7AM clap of thunder as the MCS takes its last gasps :D

:axe:

Really hope not.  I'd be fine with either/or (mid 90s+ or morning severe) but definitely concerned it won't play out that way.  

Seems like the desert southwest is pretty humid as well. I noticed that Las Vegas had a dewpoint of 75 this morning. That's got to be unusual for them right? I don't associate Las Vegas in the dead of summer with 75 degree dewpoints. Similarly Phoenix had a 70 degree dewpoint earlier and is currently 99 with a 67 dewpoint, not what I'd call a dry heat by any means. 

16 minutes ago, Trent said:

Seems like the desert southwest is pretty humid as well. I noticed that Las Vegas had a dewpoint of 75 this morning. That's got to be unusual for them right? I don't associate Las Vegas in the dead of summer with 75 degree dewpoints. Similarly Phoenix had a 70 degree dewpoint earlier and is currently 99 with a 67 dewpoint, not what I'd call a dry heat by any means. 

It does seem early for dews like that. Would think it would be a bit more common toward Fall out there.  The 75 dewpoint in Las Vegas is the highest there since September 26, 2014.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Welcome to SEMI

32 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Welcome to SEMI

I don't think you could pay me to live there if we're just talking weather. :D  I get annoyed with the lake sometimes, especially in spring with those nasty airmasses that can occur behind the lake breeze, but overall I'd take my area in a variety of categories. At least somewhat better severe climo, and it seems like better big snowstorm climo (especially for storms over 12"), and with the infrequent big LES dumping when the flow manages to set up right.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I don't think you could pay me to live there if we're just talking weather. :D  I get annoyed with the lake sometimes, especially in spring with those nasty airmasses that can occur behind the lake breeze, but overall I'd take my area in a variety of categories. At least somewhat better severe climo, and it seems like better big snowstorm climo (especially for storms over 12"), and with the infrequent big LES dumping when the flow manages to set up right.

Yeah I hear that, idk this year has been so weird, for your area and mine being perpetually missed in every direction.

Just now, Hoosier said:

This line in Wisconsin was unexpected. Let's see what happens.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, you should get hit, as for here probably another miss to the south, though what is interesting is this isn't the line that was supposed to crush tomorrow's potential so I don't know what to make.

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I agree with you Hoosier, SE MI is the worst part of our whole state, unfortunately it's where most of the jobs are and why most of us live in this area. With that said, every time I drive through OH, IN and IL I think the same thing, no way I could live in any part of them states.

I have always preferred snow over severe, but the older I get I honestly couldn't care less for any severe. Snow has been plentiful the last decade, but severe has been almost non existent imby and pretty scarce in se mi as a whole. So all in all zero complaints here. Powerballs glory years of the late 90s to early 2000s when snow was low and severe was plentiful are still fresh in my memory and it's as clear as can be who wants which period of weather lol. 

Archived