Weathernoob335
2017 Spring/Summer Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Powerball said:

I hope you're right.

Hi-Res models and satellite trends (not to mention DTX's aviation discussions) certainly aren't encouraging. 

That MCS is moving south and weakening the cirrus deck isn't going to be a big deal. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Would be nice to get something more than a garden variety thunderstorm at some point.  Oh well, need any rain we can get as we have not done as well as surrounding areas in the past several days.

If that 80 mph svr warned storm just north of Gibson City continues eastward as strong as it currently it the LAF area may be in for a rude awakening later tonight.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Would be nice to get something more than a garden variety thunderstorm at some point.  Oh well, need any rain we can get as we have not done as well as surrounding areas in the past several days.

Yeah you have been on the same train tracks as Detroit. Getting missed in every direction

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah you have been on the same train tracks as Detroit. Getting missed in every direction

As has been the case lately, August will be rocking.

Didn't know where to put this so I figured I would put it here. Ran through the Iowa State archives for this year for DTX, so far they have issued 15 severe warnings, 1 being today. Most of the warnings interestingly enough came on Feb 24 and 28 with 4 each. Since then there have been a total of only 7 warnings for DTX's CWA. Also 0 tornado warnings.

Pretty incredible how dead this area has been for severe weather this year, almost to unprecedented levels, especially if you factor out the 2 days in late February.

Edit: last year was pretty much the same as well, and ended well below normal for severe weather.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Didn't know where to put this so I figured I would put it here. Ran through the Iowa State archives for this year for DTX, so far they have issued 15 severe warnings, 1 being today. Most of the warnings interestingly enough came on Feb 24 and 28 with 4 each. Since then there have been a total of only 7 warnings for DTX's CWA. Also 0 tornado warnings.

Pretty incredible how dead this area has been for severe weather this year, almost to unprecedented levels, especially if you factor out the 2 days in late February.

Edit: last year was pretty much the same as well, and ended well below normal for severe weather.

I'm starting to get jelly of the folks just down to our south, NW Ohio and Northern Indiana keep getting clobbered.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Last year was about as bad as things could get from a severe weather perspective, at least in my memory. There was only one severe weather warning for Wayne County, and really only one notable episode of severe weather in the Metro Detroit area (a lone supercell that hit the Downriver communities on 7/8/16). Hell, this Summer is already well ahead of last year from a general t'storm perspective (there was a complete dearth of general thunderstorm activity from March to July in 2016 this year.

As bad as this season looks to start off, my hope is that it can't possibly be much worse than last year. There has to be something else going on (besides bad luck) from a pattern perspective in order for this crap to keep happening, especially when locations in just about every other direction have managed solid severe weather episodes. 

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I'm starting to get jelly of the folks just down to our south, NW Ohio and Northern Indiana keep getting clobbered.

I don't know if I would say clobbered...certainly some severe events this way (mostly 1-2" hail, some gusty wind), and aside from the Feb 28/Mar 1 event, it's been relatively quiet here, too. 

You wouldn't know it if you tracked the warnings on paper, though. Although it's not unusual, we have had far more warnings than damage reports so far. 

2 hours ago, KRFD said:

Kind of OT, but maybe shades of things to come:

Flying in to Phoenix tomorrow, p&c high forecast at 119, it's 114 there now.  I'm coming in on a big bird so no issues for me, but they've cancelled several regional flights as those aircraft can't take off at temps at 118 or above.  Pretty wildly early for this to my recollection.  

PHX ended up with a high of 118 today. The all-time record is 122, which probably won't be matched, but incredibly hot in any case.

26 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

112/37 there for a RH of 8%.

117 in Bullhead City

We might have a shot to get 50C (122F) METARs today at multiple locations. Sometimes you'll get it at one traditional hotspot but multiple locations would be more unusual.

11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I sure wish they could somehow find a way to install an ASOS, or even a AWOS site in Death Valley at the most extreme location.  The place has such exceptional weather conditions it needs to be sampled by official NWS equipment.

I agree, I think a few records could be shattered especially lower in elevation, however not even sure how some of these areas wold even be accessible. 

Archived