Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Model Mehham

Ginx snewx

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

You had to have done okay on 7/6/99. The Lakes Region got slammed. Moultonborough had a pretty nasty microburst.

What a 4th of July week that was.

7/6/99 was my greatest storm of all time.  There was the initial gust front, then a lull, then a solid wall of white that raced across the lake from the NW. It looked like a heavy snow squall.  I stood outside in an absolute whiteout of wind-whipped mist and enjoyed the smell of splintering pines.  I saw basically nothing, but nothing has come close to the loudness of the wind ever since.  It remains the only time wind has knocked over trees on my property.

A+, would enjoy again.

Tornado in Barnstead that day, too.

3 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

7/6/99 was my greatest storm of all time.  There was the initial gust front, then a lull, then a solid wall of white that raced across the lake from the NW. It looked like a heavy snow squall.  I stood outside in an absolute whiteout of wind-whipped mist and enjoyed the smell of splintering pines.  I saw basically nothing, but nothing has come close to the loudness of the wind ever since.  It remains the only time wind has knocked over trees on my property.

A+, would enjoy again.

Tornado in Barnstead that day, too.

I can remember taking the weenie ride through Moultonborough to see the snapped tree trunks. There is nothing quite like the bright white of a freshly snapped tree trunk.

kgyx_19990706_2006_BR_0.5.thumb.png.18da20b74e4af8c34d9d4f2b47b81d63.png

A wall of 60 knots inbound.

Also, radar data sucked back then. I'm not even sure VCP 11 exists anymore, and if it does they are getting rid of it soon.

56 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I can remember taking the weenie ride through Moultonborough to see the snapped tree trunks. There is nothing quite like the bright white of a freshly snapped tree trunk.

Also, radar data sucked back then. I'm not even sure VCP 11 exists anymore, and if it does they are getting rid of it soon.

I'm looking at that like, is that correct?  That's a huge area of 50-60+ kt winds.  Crazy.

Holy crap, I'm looking back to see how many warnings GYX issued that day (9) and see that we only issued 37 for the whole year. For reference, BOX issued 84.

A routine year is in the 100s now. County based warnings did play a role in that though. Still, 37? We've had single events get most of the way to that number before.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

:wub: 

Do you have any loops?  I'll take anything you've got since I lost my folder with stuff from that day.

10 hours ago, 78Blizzard said:

That hurricane the GFS has had on every run for days completely disappeared on the 18z run, lol.  I wonder what caused that run to change so drastically?

Becauase it's probably voodoo. The euro has a rather unfavorable pattern for development...maybe the GFS caught onto that.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, CoastalWx said:

There is an absolute black hole near the Davis Straits modeled. That is super impressive. It's basically a massive polar vortex. 

It's amazing how it just keeps regenerating...it's not small as you said either...this vortex is spreading the wealth:

test8.gif

That persistent ridge out west already favors troughiness out here, but that ULL is so large that it just reinforces the height weaknesses over our region. We get some glancing shot of heat and humidity, but there's been quite a few frontal passages...looks like more of the same in the LR deep into July.

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

You had to have done okay on 7/6/99. The Lakes Region got slammed. Moultonborough had a pretty nasty microburst.

What a 4th of July week that was.

After it destroyed a few million trees in northern MN on the 4th and continued thru the night, it hit Maine 4-7 AM on 7/5.  We salvaged about 3,000 cords of blowdown in our West Region and abutting landowners had it even worse.  Multiple campers were injured by falling trees at both Umbagog Lake and Chain of Ponds.  Not injured but rather surprised were the two campers at Big Eddy (just downstream of Long Falls Dam on Flagstaff), when their tent was uprooted and rolled across the campground at 4:30 AM.  Probably just as well they didn't realize that trees were crashing down all around them like flyswatters trying to squash a skittering bug.  My place caught only the southern fringe, with a 40+ gust or two and a bit of rain.

How often does this type of system continue thru the night and persist for nearly 24 hr?

Edit:  I may be conflating this derecho with some other event, but I recall something about its maintaining energy after the bow had dissipated and passing off the mid Maine coast.  Then it curved clockwise over the W. Atlantic and cased some damage in coastal Carolinas.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

After it destroyed a few million trees in northern MN on the 4th and continued thru the night, it hit Maine 4-7 AM on 7/5.  We salvaged about 3,000 cords of blowdown in our West Region and abutting landowners had it even worse.  Multiple campers were injured by falling trees at both Umbagog Lake and Chain of Ponds.  Not injured but rather surprised were the two campers at Big Eddy (just downstream of Long Falls Dam on Flagstaff), when their tent was uprooted and rolled across the campground at 4:30 AM.  Probably just as well they didn't realize that trees were crashing down all around them like flyswatters trying to squash a skittering bug.  My place caught only the southern fringe, with a 40+ gust or two and a bit of rain.

How often does this type of system continue thru the night and persist for nearly 24 hr?

Edit:  I may be conflating this derecho with some other event, but I recall something about its maintaining energy after the bow had dissipated and passing off the mid Maine coast.  Then it curved clockwise over the W. Atlantic and cased some damage in coastal Carolinas.

There were back to back events there. The July 4-5 derecho, then on July 6th a squall line blew through from eastern NY/Canada. That July 6th one really ripped through the area N of ALY to the Lakes Region with big wind.

I mean it's not totally uncommon for a derecho/MCS to persist a full day. Many times they can go through a diurnal weakening before convection re-fires from the MCV. Now surviving 24 hours into New England usually takes something more special. Like EMLs and 70+ dew points.

It also looks like we're going to be neighbors, at least for parts of the summers. My in-laws just got a new camp on Long Pond in Belgrade. Pretty sweet views to the west, so I anticipate I'll be weenie-ing out on a few storms in the coming years.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

There were back to back events there. The July 4-5 derecho, then on July 6th a squall line blew through from eastern NY/Canada. That July 6th one really ripped through the area N of ALY to the Lakes Region with big wind.

I mean it's not totally uncommon for a derecho/MCS to persist a full day. Many times they can go through a diurnal weakening before convection re-fires from the MCV. Now surviving 24 hours into New England usually takes something more special. Like EMLs and 70+ dew points.

It also looks like we're going to be neighbors, at least for parts of the summers. My in-laws just got a new camp on Long Pond in Belgrade. Pretty sweet views to the west, so I anticipate I'll be weenie-ing out on a few storms in the coming years.

Congrats to them (and to you!)  One of the camps directly off Rt 27 or more private?  You can sit inside to watch the storms arrive, or scoot up the Mountain Road for a panorama (or Blueberry Hill, off Watson Pond Road for an even better perspective.  And if you like to fish, please help reduce the pike population that's pretty well wrecked what was once one of the finest landlocked salmon ponds anywhere.

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Congrats to them (and to you!)  One of the camps directly off Rt 27 or more private?  You can sit inside to watch the storms arrive, or scoot up the Mountain Road for a panorama (or Blueberry Hill, off Watson Pond Road for an even better perspective.  And if you like to fish, please help reduce the pike population that's pretty well wrecked what was once one of the finest landlocked salmon ponds anywhere.

Right on 27. I'm pretty excited about it, if only for the duck at the Village Inn.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Feels a bit humid out today despite temps in the 70s.... looks like we've tickled mid-60s for dews up here.  That's some mid-summer stuff.

Holy crap, just saw BDL is 87/73.  Surprised Blizzy isn't all over that.  That's fairly legit July weather.

84/73 at the Tolland STEM. That equates to 82/78 on Mt Tolland

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Feels a bit humid out today despite temps in the 70s.... looks like we've tickled mid-60s for dews up here.  That's some mid-summer stuff.

Holy crap, just saw BDL is 87/73.  Surprised Blizzy isn't all over that.  That's fairly legit July weather.

When are we expecting September warm days and cool nights?

20 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Right on 27. I'm pretty excited about it, if only for the duck at the Village Inn.

Pete's Pig is decent barbecue, too, though I'm anything but knowledgeable about that item.  I've had the V-I duck just once - excellent but I like seafood even more.

GFS had begun the miraculously disappearing qpf act once again at 06z, dropping tomorrow's precip down to barely over a tenth.  If I'd gotten all the day5-7 qpf since June 1 my garden would be drowning.  As it is, I'm about 50% of my avg for that period.

36 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

LOL at 12z GFS long range.  They are all alone once again with a strong tropical storm, minimal hurricane, hitting NE after forming SE of Leeward Islands.  The law of averages says it will be right eventually on one of these runs.

It will change in 15 min lol tropical tidbits has it hitting with a pressure of 967mb pretty strong cane for here... Gfs and canadian all alone on it developing....