• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Model Mehham

Ginx snewx

The coast was def worse in '05 than interior...BOS had 22 days of rain and slapped down a -6 for the month.

The temp anomalies so far this month seem to be lowest over the elevated interior...esp from ORH up to elevated CNE and NNE, though it's still been plenty cold everywhere.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

Are you talking here and May 2005?  I only had measurable precip on 14 out of 31 days in May 2005.  We did have that one 7 day stretch from the 21st that it rained every day but other than that, it wasn't raining every day.

I agree that May has been totally manageable at least for our locale but others have not been as lucky in terms of precip.  I'm not minding the temps at all.  It's been great to get stuff down outdoors and not be sweating.  There's plenty of time for nice warm New England summer days before fall.

Yeah man was that one awful month 

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes it was but there were some nice days, it was the next to last week that was very cold and rainy. Some made it seem like it rained and was cold every day. Reason I remembered was we won a softball tourney May 15th 16th and I played in shorts.

That was indeed the worst, but for the month I had measurable rain on 23 days, including 15 of the final 17 (and a trace on the other 2) and 8.20" total.  The 10th/11th reached low 70s but 65 was tops otherwise, and you might not have played in shorts up here on 15-16.  Rain on both days with highs 50 and 51.
(And 2005 wasn't done messing with us.  June 15-18 had highs of 52,53,55,56 [avg high 71-72] with near constant -RA, and my re-planted corn once again rotted in the ground.)

We've had a couple more crap days/events this month than down there...4 days with highs in the 40s already here for May. 2005 definitely got off to a better start than we have this month, but the more data I looked at it was obvious that SNE, and especially the coast, had it worse than we did in 05. It's not like I'm claiming it was nice, but the core of the schit was definitely down there.

I would disagree, given the evidence above.  2005 is my coldest May of 19 here, more than 3F below #2. 
I've had only two sub-50 highs this month, though only reached 51 on 3 other days.  Max to date is 63.  Of course, I had 4 days in the 70s last month, topped by 75 on the 29th.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That was indeed the worst, but for the month I had measurable rain on 23 days, including 15 of the final 17 (and a trace on the other 2) and 8.20" total.  The 10th/11th reached low 70s but 65 was tops otherwise, and you might not have played in shorts up here on 15-16.  Rain on both days with highs 50 and 51.
(And 2005 wasn't done messing with us.  June 15-18 had highs of 52,53,55,56 [avg high 71-72] with near constant -RA, and my re-planted corn once again rotted in the ground.)

We've had a couple more crap days/events this month than down there...4 days with highs in the 40s already here for May. 2005 definitely got off to a better start than we have this month, but the more data I looked at it was obvious that SNE, and especially the coast, had it worse than we did in 05. It's not like I'm claiming it was nice, but the core of the schit was definitely down there.

I would disagree, given the evidence above.  2005 is my coldest May of 19 here, more than 3F below #2. 
I've had only two sub-50 highs this month, though only reached 51 on 3 other days.  Max to date is 63.  Of course, I had 4 days in the 70s last month, topped by 75 on the 29th.

I will admit I didn't look at any Maine data for 05 and don't recall how you guys fared compared to the rest of New England. I should've been more clear. I usually leave Maine out in the context of my posts because you guys are sometimes another world up there. I get a little NH/VT vs SNE centric when making comparisons. Maybe it was more of a longitudinal deal too since the coast took it the worst in SNE. I haven't looked at the past 19 Mays for CON, but I'm sure 2005 is right up there for them as one of the coldest...but the departures were still colder for ORH/BOS than up here. I think the BOS avg max was about 8F below normal...not sure how it was for you.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I will admit I didn't look at any Maine data for 05 and don't recall how you guys fared compared to the rest of New England. I should've been more clear. I usually leave Maine out in the context of my posts because you guys are sometimes another world up there. I get a little NH/VT vs SNE centric when making comparisons. Maybe it was more of a longitudinal deal too since the coast took it the worst in SNE. I haven't looked at the past 19 Mays for CON, but I'm sure 2005 is right up there for them as one of the coldest...but the departures were still colder for ORH/BOS than up here. I think the BOS avg max was about 8F below normal...not sure how it was for you.

Since BOS has been a Logan airport, only May 1967 was colder than 2005. For Tamarack's 19 year period, BOS also has the next closest May a full 3 degrees warmer (May 2003) vs 2005. That month (2005) was 6.1F below the 1936-2016 mean. Not sure what the departure is for Tamarack's place if you maybe compared Farmington to their 1936-2016 mean.

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's #5 for me and precip wise doesn't show up in the top 10.  2008 was colder and wetter for me but 1990 is near the top of the list for me.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Since BOS has been a Logan airport, only May 1967 was colder than 2005. For Tamarack's 19 year period, BOS also has the next closest May a full 3 degrees warmer (May 2003) vs 2005. That month (2005) was 6.1F below the 1936-2016 mean. Not sure what the departure is for Tamarack's place if you maybe compared Farmington to their 1936-2016 mean.

To get more specific on dendrite's comment about the BOS max temp in 2005...it was 8.7F below the 1936-2016 mean...the coldest on record and a full degree colder than 1967 which had very cold low temps too to help the monthly departure.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

They must have had some serious easterly flow that month - I have 4 colder May's than 2005.  May 1990 & 94 were 1.8° colder than 2005 here at averaging around 51° compare to my normal of 56.6°F.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

To get more specific on dendrite's comment about the BOS max temp in 2005...it was 8.7F below the 1936-2016 mean...the coldest on record and a full degree colder than 1967 which had very cold low temps too to help the monthly departure.

That's what I mean by the "core" of the mess being near BOS. Pulling off a -8F or -9F for max temps is damn near impossible for May given the lowering standard deviations. I wasn't trying to downplay the sucktitude of that month outside of BOS/SNE. It was simply just "less bad" up here.