Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 5-6 Severe Threat

MattPetrulli

2 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

There should be a few lessons learned from this event.  You had severe weather experts in here yesterday which I know many of us Southerners appreciated. 

What I didn't like was the belittling attitude from some when there was an early suggestion that the atmosphere was going to remain stable over N. GA.  We live here and know our weather better than ANY experts from another subforum. 

The wedge prevailed again....  It's actually a little amazing that this feature which controls so much of our weather is not understood by very knowledgeable severe weather folks.  This is not slight against them.  Again, they were and are appreciated as they bring lots of good posts to the table.

It is what it is but the lesson here should be, be humble there is always lots to learn.  The minute you think you know it all is the minute you will get humbled.

Great point. You could watch the radar and see the wedge eat up anything bright red moving into it. Pretty cool. I had a feeling once that dry line moved through after midnight we would have a shot at something severe. Woke up out of a dead sleep to what I was almost certain was a tornado. Lol. Insitu wedge won out during the daytime through the worst of it. Around here at least. No doubt about it 

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's most concerning is when the inevitable,REAL outbreak occurs,will the general public even listen?After being yanked around over and over I honestly don't know.Everything is hyped and used for ratings it seems nowadays.

I heard some rain and thunder last night around 1:45AM,rolled back over and went back to sleep.

The key in north GA and western SC and NC yesterday was all of the early morning rain and storms going ahead and lasting all day. If they had moved out as predicted, the wedge would probably have broken. With the storms going all day, they actually pushed the warm front back to the south all the way Macon Ga and Columbia SC and beyond. 

Greg Fishel from WRAL on the severe weather bust here.

WHAT HAPPENED?

From a humanitarian standpoint, I'm thrilled that yesterday's and last night's weather event turned out to be a dud. I don't enjoy seeing people suffer after a severe weather/tornado outbreak. From a professional standpoint, it's very troubling in that credibility is established or destroyed on those relatively few days during the year when the weather is the news. So here we are, about 25% of the way through the year, and we've already had a predicted snowstorm, which for most of us was a joke, and a predicted major severe weather event, which also never materialized. If I wasn't in the field of meteorology, I could easily see why the general public says and thinks the things they do, like "it must be nice to be wrong 90% of the time and still get paid", or "all you guys do is hype the weather for the sake of ratings". I once heard from a critic who told me he only evaluated me on the days I had something to predict. Not fair, but I understand where he was coming from. I could bore you with you an analysis of what went wrong yesterday and last night, and talk about convection to our south blocking the import of moisture, or the lack of surface based instability, or lapse rates in the 700mb-500mb layer of 8ºC/km, or even geopotential height falls of more than 200 meters in a 12 hour period. But I'm not gonna do that :-). All I can tell you is that the field of meteorology has made enormous strides over the 37 years I've been a part of it. But we have a long way to go. I'm not honestly sure how much of it is just pure lack of understanding, or perhaps the research and operational forecast communities are not communicating to the degree they should. All I can tell you for sure is that nobody in the WRAL Weather Center hypes anything. in fact, we are so cautious we sometimes frustrate some in the newsroom who suspect we're being too cautious. And I can also assure you that we don't take missed forecasts lightly. I wholeheartedly reject the approach of "oh well, we're human, and everyone makes mistakes". That's pure crap! If you care enough, you dig and dig as deep as you can in order to try and find the reason why you were wrong, and they you apply that newfound knowledge in order not to make that same mistake again. Ok, enough. All of us here consider ourselves scientists as much or more than broadcasters. Science will continue to be our priority. We're trying, God knows we're trying.

25 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Greg Fishel from WRAL on the severe weather bust here.

WHAT HAPPENED?

From a humanitarian standpoint, I'm thrilled that yesterday's and last night's weather event turned out to be a dud. I don't enjoy seeing people suffer after a severe weather/tornado outbreak. From a professional standpoint, it's very troubling in that credibility is established or destroyed on those relatively few days during the year when the weather is the news. So here we are, about 25% of the way through the year, and we've already had a predicted snowstorm, which for most of us was a joke, and a predicted major severe weather event, which also never materialized. If I wasn't in the field of meteorology, I could easily see why the general public says and thinks the things they do, like "it must be nice to be wrong 90% of the time and still get paid", or "all you guys do is hype the weather for the sake of ratings". I once heard from a critic who told me he only evaluated me on the days I had something to predict. Not fair, but I understand where he was coming from. I could bore you with you an analysis of what went wrong yesterday and last night, and talk about convection to our south blocking the import of moisture, or the lack of surface based instability, or lapse rates in the 700mb-500mb layer of 8ºC/km, or even geopotential height falls of more than 200 meters in a 12 hour period. But I'm not gonna do that :-). All I can tell you is that the field of meteorology has made enormous strides over the 37 years I've been a part of it. But we have a long way to go. I'm not honestly sure how much of it is just pure lack of understanding, or perhaps the research and operational forecast communities are not communicating to the degree they should. All I can tell you for sure is that nobody in the WRAL Weather Center hypes anything. in fact, we are so cautious we sometimes frustrate some in the newsroom who suspect we're being too cautious. And I can also assure you that we don't take missed forecasts lightly. I wholeheartedly reject the approach of "oh well, we're human, and everyone makes mistakes". That's pure crap! If you care enough, you dig and dig as deep as you can in order to try and find the reason why you were wrong, and they you apply that newfound knowledge in order not to make that same mistake again. Ok, enough. All of us here consider ourselves scientists as much or more than broadcasters. Science will continue to be our priority. We're trying, God knows we're trying.

It's trumps fault

Archived