MattPetrulli

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm S of McMinnville, TN:

The National Weather Service in Nashville has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Van Buren County in Middle Tennessee...
  Southern Warren County in Middle Tennessee...
  Northwestern Grundy County in Middle Tennessee...

* Until 530 PM CDT

* At 454 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located 10 miles south of McMinnville, moving northeast at 40
  mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Spencer around 530 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Viola,
Morrison and Fall Creek Falls State Park.

3 minutes ago, SharonA said:

Sirens went off a few minutes ago when the TOR was issued; sky's darkening a bit now.  The main cell is still some miles away by air.  Beeline for on the current ENE track.

Interesting. I never knew parts of the southeast had tornado sirens. When I lived in MI, I knew they had them. They don't have them in NC though. 

Just now, Buckeye05 said:

Carrollton cell is not looking as good now.

It's ingesting the rain cool air, but the LLJ is forcing the warmer, moist air from the SW into the area.  It may sustain itself regardless of the cooler air.  My temperature has gone up at least 5 degrees in the past 2 hours here in Atlanta to 66 degrees. 

3 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Interesting. I never knew parts of the southeast had tornado sirens. When I lived in MI, I knew they had them. They don't have them in NC though. 

Carroll and Douglas county have them; I get to hear the eastern Carroll County one every time a polycon includes them ... so a storm is about to cross the state line, gets warned, and sirens go off 25-30 miles east where we're looking at lovely clear skies.  So I'm mixed on that - it's great to get people wondering "what?  Maybe I should go check the news?" but does cloud the issue between "EMERGENCY GET UNDER COVER NOW!!" and "Heads up for real, gang".

Rotation not as ominous the last few frames or is that just wishful thinking?

1 minute ago, SharonA said:

Carroll and Douglas county have them; I get to hear the eastern Carroll County one every time a polycon includes them ... so a storm is about to cross the state line, gets warned, and sirens go off 25-30 miles east where we're looking at lovely clear skies.  So I'm mixed on that - it's great to get people wondering "what?  Maybe I should go check the news?" but does cloud the issue between "EMERGENCY GET UNDER COVER NOW!!" and "Heads up for real, gang".

Rotation not as ominous the last few frames or is that just wishful thinking?

It's a broad circulation now.  Looks a bit more tame for the moment.  May not even be a TOG with it ATM. 

10 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

We have them here in Buford too. I've only heard them a handful of times though. Here they mean, "Check the news, but just in case hide in the nearest basement."

Both TOR and SVR dropped off that cell that just minutes ago looked ready to pound Carroll and Douglas Counties on its way to the Metro proper.  Did it really weakend that much or is this just an "oops we are doing 45 things at once and those expired"

Both TOR and SVR dropped off that cell that just minutes ago looked ready to pound Carroll and Douglas Counties on its way to the Metro proper.  Did it really weakend that much or is this just an "oops we are doing 45 things at once and those expired"

Still has broad rotation, but the hail core dropped off big time.

2 minutes ago, SharonA said:

Probably entering some pretty stable air.

Archived