Newest Member
    joxey
4/6 Strong April Storm Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just had some heavy rain on the island. Based on the radar it's looking like this could bust low. So maybe the mesos aren't off. Winds also aren't at all impressive. This storms not living up to the hype. (At least now)

Agree...some gusts here, but nothing crazy.  Radar is meh as well.   RGEM does have the rains increasing in coverage, but it's all over by 6pm or so this evening.   Those models that had the big rains offshore look to have had the right idea....

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Agree...some gusts here, but nothing crazy.  Radar is meh as well.   RGEM does have the rains increasing in coverage, but it's all over by 6pm or so this evening.   Those models that had the big rains offshore look to have had the right idea....

You didn't get that thunderstorm?  It looked like most of it is to my SE and that's where you are.  I got rocked around a little bit, nothing serious but more than I expected at 7am.

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

You didn't get that thunderstorm?  It looked like most of it is to my SE and that's where you are.  I got rocked around a little bit, nothing serious but more than I expected at 7am.

heavy rains with it, but no thunder or lightning or wind.   picked up .25

The main rain will come this afternoon from what's currently over Eastern NC and VA. It appears that the models were a little overzealous with the morning development. FWIW it's raining here with a stiff wind despite not much showing up on radar.

Look how far off the 00z SPC WRF was.

refd_1000m_ne_f12.gif

Northeast sector loop

Just now, Brian5671 said:

The stuff in eastern NC look to go wide right.  The stuff in Central VA is our best bet if that blossoms.   Thinking most places here are an inch or less though as we're largely missing the AM precip models had.   It's all over by 6-8pm tonight.

Even if the stuff over NC goes wide right, things should fill in. And it's going to be very hard to figure out exactly where the convection goes.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_4.png

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The Hrrr has a good handle on things. The current batch just moving through was well modeled. The next round moving through toward noontime is developing now in VA. Round 3 after that is beginning now in WVA. Those two areas will expand and intensify as the upper divergence maxes out with the second low and neg tilt trough.

Yeah, I would be worried if the dry slot on water vapor was advancing towards us, but you can see that the trough is really just going negative as we speak. Tons of moisture is about to be advected towards us. 

wv-animated.gif

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Hrrr has a good handle on things. The current batch just moving through was well modeled. The next round moving through toward noontime is developing now in VA. Round 3 after that is beginning now in WVA. Those two areas will expand and intensify as the upper divergence maxes out with the second low and neg tilt trough.

It looks like the area of convection now coming into DC is even larger than what the 11z HRRR had, hoping that's a good sign.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yeah, I would be worried if the dry slot on water vapor was advancing towards us, but you can see that the trough is really just going negative as we speak. Tons of moisture is about to be advected towards us. 

wv-animated.gif

looks like a mid winter system there.  

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It looks like the area of convection now coming into DC is even larger than what the 11z HRRR had, hoping that's a good sign.

The elevated convection parameters are a good as we get to see here in early April. Be interested to see if some stronger winds can mix down later in the heavier storms despite the inversion.

700-500 lapse rate:        6.35 C/km
ThetaE index:              5.73 C Layer  800.0- 550.0 mb
Conv cond level (CCL):   996.39 mb =    21.71 m =    71.23 ft
  Mean mixing ratio:       8.59 g/kg
  Conv temperature:       11.53 C =   52.75 F
Cap Strength:              4.95 C
Lifted Index:              5.40 C Risk: None
Lifted Index @300 mb:     10.22 C
Lifted Index @700 mb:      4.29 C
Showalter Index:          -1.16 C Risk: Thunderstorms probable
Total Totals Index:       51.48 C Risk: Scattered heavy thunderstorms

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The elevated convection parameters are a good as we get to see here in early April. Be interested to see if some stronger winds can mix down later in the heavier storms despite the inversion.

700-500 lapse rate:        6.35 C/km
ThetaE index:              5.73 C Layer  800.0- 550.0 mb
Conv cond level (CCL):   996.39 mb =    21.71 m =    71.23 ft
  Mean mixing ratio:       8.59 g/kg
  Conv temperature:       11.53 C =   52.75 F
Cap Strength:              4.95 C
Lifted Index:              5.40 C Risk: None
Lifted Index @300 mb:     10.22 C
Lifted Index @700 mb:      4.29 C
Showalter Index:          -1.16 C Risk: Thunderstorms probable
Total Totals Index:       51.48 C Risk: Scattered heavy thunderstorms

Take a look at the point and click soundings on the HRRR, seems way too low on MUCAPE vs SPC meso analysis. Not sure how that impacts the run.

hrrr sounding

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Getting that here too.   Sheet drizzle and 39 degrees to go with it!

I am really happy to have that new station in Wantagh. It's the first professional quality station right along the South Shore of Nassau. It's in a slightly open elevated location down near the bay so it will be a great site for measuring the max winds in this area.

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The activity in the DC Baltimore area looks to miss us to the west. Going to have to wait for the stuff down in VA/NC

It's pouring here. I know you wouldn't think that based on radar but there must be a lot of low level lift.

Archived