Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 OBS

Isopycnic

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up to amazing thunder and lightning show from a cell that passed to the south ... And another midday ... and a couple in the afternoon ... Otherwise today was just mostly overcast with patches of rain as scattered cells passed over or near.

Twice we had SVR+TOR warned cells marching in, then splitting in half less than 20 miles away.  The image is of the 2nd one of those cells, which came roaring in from Alabama with all eyes on it, had me doing one last check of my bug-out-to-the-basement-bag - then it hit the colder air and threw in the towel.  After it passed by to the north and south (once again I get just some rain and light winds), we had a lovely period of afternoon sun and warmth.  No cell around to take advantage of it, alas.  Or Thankfully So, yeah.

20170405_ColdAirWinsAgain.jpg

1 hour ago, Solak said:

Haven't seen this much wind since Hurricane Matthew. Saw a 53mph gust over at Rocky Mount a while ago.

yeah this wind has been pretty impressive. Had a top gust of 42 mph and looking around, it seems like most people got 40 to 45 mph gusts. Not too surprisingly, there have been quite a few trees blown down around the area per a guy i know that does tree work. Georgia power alone is showing around 10,000 without power..although some of that might be left over from yesterday. But from the scattered nature of the outages on the maps probably quite a few related to the wind today. Not too surprising given how much rain fell yesterday....ended up with 4.11 inches here. A lot of that fell in a short period of time yesterday morning and thanks to the tremendous runoff it actually nearly filled the ponds back up. 

On a side note, beautiful visible images of the post frontal cloud cover today  from goes 16. The detail is so cool. 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=srnmidat-02-24-1

btw, check out the visible meso southeast region. These are taken every one minute. just fyi,  Below is  48 frames  so it's pretty big but to really appreciate it, the bigger ones are the best. 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=mesosoutheast-02-48-1

Nice little example of wind tide at Washington. 2 days of strong W/NW winds blow the water out of the rivers.....me and my brother were duck hunting not far from this location a winter  or two after Hurricane Floyd and we had a similar extended period of strong NW winds and as the sun came up over the decoys we noticed a large rectangular object across the lcove and it slowly dawned on us it was a coffin that was exposed due to the low water. The flooding in Floyd floated a lot of coffins and they had to send a sheriffs team in to try to recover it but they had a lot of trouble with the mud etc.....the water was rising again as the wind had laid up so it could still be there for all I know. 

58e8334ff3c29_windtide.png.b72cb2d961680a55e899a618aebdf243.png

51 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Nice little example of wind tide at Washington. 2 days of strong W/NW winds blow the water out of the rivers.....me and my brother were duck hunting not far from this location a winter  or two after Hurricane Floyd and we had a similar extended period of strong NW winds and as the sun came up over the decoys we noticed a large rectangular object across the lcove and it slowly dawned on us it was a coffin that was exposed due to the low water. The flooding in Floyd floated a lot of coffins and they had to send a sheriffs team in to try to recover it but they had a lot of trouble with the mud etc.....the water was rising again as the wind had laid up so it could still be there for all I know. 

58e8334ff3c29_windtide.png.b72cb2d961680a55e899a618aebdf243.png

This is what the storm did here.  It will be considered a historic crest but well short of the carnage of 2009. 

IMG_3181.PNG

IMG_3182.PNG

Archived