Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Storm Threat 4/3-4/4

Rtd208

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Looks like it got my hometown of Pequannock good. I was too far North here in Mahwah.

Kinnelon got in on some strong stuff, and it seems Pequannock did as well like you said.  

4 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Yeah that was impressive. Heaviest downpour I've seen here in a long time. Only thing missing was some wind which would of made it severe. It's was a fun 15 minutes nonetheless 

Didn't expect a cell to pop up this late at night.  Thought we'd see something around 4,5,6 etc.

15 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I don't have a rain guage, so I look at stations around my town and neighboring ones and then take the average. When I say about, that usually means the average amount my area recieved, which is just over an inch today.

1.41 , use my station . It's very accurate 

6 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Alright thanks.  Some nearby stations were 1.15" and one was close to 1.30"

Mine is calibrated and I also have a Manual tube gauge to verify . Over time tipping guages can read to low of you don't pay attention to them . Those stations on weatherbug can be way off  especially with heavy rainfall Rates which is why cocohras makes you use a tube gauge 

20 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Mine is calibrated and I also have a Manual tube gauge to verify . Over time tipping guages can read to low of you don't pay attention to them . Those stations on weatherbug can be way off  especially with heavy rainfall Rates which is why cocohras makes you use a tube gauge 

I've also found that the tipping gauges that are accurate for the most part still can sometimes read high in torrential rains. 

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I've also found that the tipping gauges that are accurate for the most part still can sometimes read high in torrential rains. 

I've never heard of that but if someone screwed around with the calibration to try and keep up with high rates it will make low rainfall rates read high . If I get over 2 inch rainfall rates my tipping gauge can't keep up and that's why I have the tube guage  to verify . My Tube gauge read a fraction higher for this  event but was close enough . 

1 minute ago, rgwp96 said:

I've never heard of that but if someone screwed around with the calibration to try and keep up with high rates it will make low rainfall rates read high . If I get over 2 inch rainfall rates my tipping gauge can't keep up and that's why I have the tube guage  to verify . My Tube gauge read a fraction higher for this  event but was close enough . 

Yeah, I have the Stratus to keep the Davis honest and measure LE on the snow, typically they are within a hundredth or two of each other. Another reason for a tube gauge, nothing more frustrating than after a storm finding that bird poop or a spiders web messed up the tipper gauge.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:11 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, I have the Stratus to keep the Davis honest and measure LE on the snow, typically they are within a hundredth or two of each other. Another reason for a tube gauge, nothing more frustrating than after a storm finding that bird poop or a spiders web messed up the tipper gauge.

nothing falling from the sky here.

My final winter "high five" to winter is the last freeze/frost.

Not really happy with this winter again.

Already told my wife...plan to spend my final winter near Donner Summit. (age 91)

Winter in Highland Lakes is getting stale....if you know what I mean.

I want & need the big tuna.

Starting this Chinese diet the past month + beer

22 hours ago, Animal said:

nothing falling from the sky here.

My final winter "high five" to winter is the last freeze/frost.

Not really happy with this winter again.

Already told my wife...plan to spend my final winter near Donner Summit. (age 91)

Winter in Highland Lakes is getting stale....if you know what I mean.

I want & need the big tuna.

Starting this Chinese diet the past month + beer

You're 91? Or you're just saying that your final winter you will be 91?

3 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That's what I figured but it just sounded like a weird number to shoot for. I'd say 90 or 95 if you know what I mean 

Why not 100? It's a nice round number. :)  Actually 101 is better.  If I survive to 100, I want to spend my entire 100th year partying and leave the planet at 101.

11 hours ago, Paragon said:

Why not 100? It's a nice round number. :)  Actually 101 is better.  If I survive to 100, I want to spend my entire 100th year partying and leave the planet at 101.

We had a great party for my dads 100th birthday...sadly he passed 11 months later just shy of 101.

Archived