Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Storm Threat 4/3-4/4

Rtd208

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

1:30am and the back edge of the heavy rain is already near Trenton. This is in and out very quickly, with probably only around a half inch of rain. There will be some scattered downpours during the afternoon, but overall this won't be the huge rainstorm that was advertised. Thursday's storm looks as if it will be a much bigger one. 

Yeah, looking at the radar it seems like the main batch passed by most of us already.  Not saying we're done with rain, just came through faster than I thought.

52 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

My area received a general 1.00"-1.30" since midnight.  That's not far off from Friday's storm.

Just about 1.05" here too.

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

about an inch here.  Main event is over-let's see what develops later.

Serious question, how do you get rainfall totals of "about x amount"?  Are you using totals around your area from Wunderground and approximating?  

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Serious question, how do you get rainfall totals of "about x amount"?  Are you using totals around your area from Wunderground and approximating?  

I don't have a rain guage, so I look at stations around my town and neighboring ones and then take the average. When I say about, that usually means the average amount my area recieved, which is just over an inch today.

15 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I just took BDR's #-they are about 5 miles from here, 1.09 and rounded to an inch....

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

HRRR says meh for later:

hrrr_apcpn_neus_18.png

That's why I said the radar looks a bit better than forecasted. Still you're talking >0.50" more to come in a lot of places that would be enough to put most people in the ~1.50"+ range that was forecasted. 

One thing to keep in mind for later, the HRRR stalls the warm front right over our region and that's going to setup quite the temperature gradient over NNJ. Thinking most of the convection should ride along the boundary. Could be 70 degrees near the DE Water Gap and in the lower 50's in Rockland County. That's not going to produce surface based instability but there is quite a bit of elevated instability already in place.

hrrr_T2m_neus_8.png

mucp.gif?1491313403673

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's been raining steadily here despite not much showing up on radar. Have picked up only 0.03 since 7AM but a heavier area of showers is approaching. 

the first line is falling apart.  I think we have to wait until later for anything decent....

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Pea size hail, thunder, lightning and torrential downpour here in Tenafly. Came out of nowhere. Awesome

That cell seems to have strengthened after it passed me.  I was just a little too far north to get in on the heavy stuff, which I don't think was as strong back then.

9 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

That cell seems to have strengthened after it passed me.  I was just a little too far north to get in on the heavy stuff, which I don't think was as strong back then.

Looks like it got my hometown of Pequannock good. I was too far North here in Mahwah.

9 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah that was impressive. Heaviest downpour I've seen here in a long time. Only thing missing was some wind which would of made it severe. It's was a fun 15 minutes nonetheless 

Archived