• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Central PA - December 2017

10 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Did any forecast have 1"-2" of rain today? The once I saw last night called for half that at most. That's on top of the 1"+ yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seemed like a lot of the local news channels were saying it was supposed to be "scattered" light rain. I don't think they anticipated it to be this way all day. I saw a graphic last night on a local station that showed nothing until later in the evening. It rained all day in Dillsburg/Mechanicsburg. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know...subject to change a million times between now and then, but what might be our next threat beyond Jose (Lee or Maria) is of course 10 days away, and as of now is shown by the GFS to stall after landfall in the Outer Banks/Tidewater area.

So Irma just had to go west into Alabama and wring herself out, Jose is looking fishy for the most part with some impact possibly in New England, and Lee/Maria, who is shown right now to stall and wring itself out over North Carolina/Virginia, Pennsylvania is tropically snakebit.

Where is the weather of my youth? A time where tropical storms and remnants put some interesting weather into my backyard? Over the past 10 years, I have been so bored with the "mundane" weather around here. I love the extreme. Rain, snow, wind, heat, and even cold. Yet we get none (or very little) of it anymore.

Frustrating to a weather enthusiast...

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

I know...subject to change a million times between now and then, but what might be our next threat beyond Jose (Lee or Maria) is of course 10 days away, and as of now is shown by the GFS to stall after landfall in the Outer Banks/Tidewater area.

So Irma just had to go west into Alabama and wring herself out, Jose is looking fishy for the most part with some impact possibly in New England, and Lee/Maria, who is shown right now to stall and wring itself out over North Carolina/Virginia, Pennsylvania is tropically snakebit.

Where is the weather of my youth? A time where tropical storms and remnants put some interesting weather into my backyard? Over the past 10 years, I have been so bored with the "mundane" weather around here. I love the extreme. Rain, snow, wind, heat, and even cold. Yet we get none (or very little) of it anymore.

Frustrating to a weather enthusiast...

Steve, I was thinking about this very thing earlier this week. It's interesting how 50-75 miles in distance makes such a difference in one's perception. Growing up in the '70s it seemed like every snow down here was in the 2-4, 3-5, 4-6 range. We went years without a foot-plus snowstorm. Historically we (Lancaster county) receive such a snowstorm about once per decade. In the past 14 winters we've had at least 8 storms over a foot. So at least for winter weather, we have been much, much more active in recent years. Again...this is specific to my location and not to yours.

I would agree with other elements of weather. My 16 year old daughter remarked this afternoon that we don't get thunderstorms like she remembers from her younger years. And it's been 6 years since we've been impacted by a significant tropical event. So I'd say that spring, summer, and fall has been quieter weather wise. 

In a broader sense beyond PA, I feel like weather has become much more extreme. Every winter there seems to be a new "storm of the decade" somewhere on the east coast. We've had 2 extreme hurricanes strike our country for the first time in years. Some of my perception is no doubt media-driven hype, but it does seem like (to me) that storms seem to be getting bigger and badder...even if not necessarily around here. 

I have to think sooner than later you're going to have either a harsh winter or some other weather extreme. You're more than overdue...right? 

10 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Steve, I was thinking about this very thing earlier this week. It's interesting how 50-75 miles in distance makes such a difference in one's perception. Growing up in the '70s it seemed like every snow down here was in the 2-4, 3-5, 4-6 range. We went years without a foot-plus snowstorm. Historically we (Lancaster county) receive such a snowstorm about once per decade. In the past 14 winters we've had at least 8 storms over a foot. So at least for winter weather, we have been much, much more active in recent years. Again...this is specific to my location and not to yours.

I would agree with other elements of weather. My 16 year old daughter remarked this afternoon that we don't get thunderstorms like she remembers from her younger years. And it's been 6 years since we've been impacted by a significant tropical event. So I'd say that spring, summer, and fall has been quieter weather wise. 

In a broader sense beyond PA, I feel like weather has become much more extreme. Every winter there seems to be a new "storm of the decade" somewhere on the east coast. We've had 2 extreme hurricanes strike our country for the first time in years. Some of my perception is no doubt media-driven hype, but it does seem like (to me) that storms seem to be getting bigger and badder...even if not necessarily around here. 

I have to think sooner than later you're going to have either a harsh winter or some other weather extreme. You're more than overdue...right? 

As far as the snow goes, I wonder if it isn't the result of the internet and "instant" news, but I don't remeber all of the near misses we've had the past few years when I was child/teenager. Like now, most of our snows were in the 2-4, 3-6 range, but I don't recall all of the DC and NYC crushers back then like we see now.

As for the tropics, it did seem like every couple of years we'd get a TS or hurricane that either came up close to the coast, or made landfall south of us. Either way, it seemed like back then, we'd be affected in some way, either with good rain from the remnants, or in the case of Gloria, David, and a few others, a good day with at least some tropical storm gusts. Now, not so much.

I suppose it could be because I don't live in the Lehigh Valley anymore, and I'm farther away from the ocean influence, but it just seems different now than it was back then...

i'm an all seasons guy, i like em all. When everyone else bitches about the heat and humidity, i love it. But i'm done with it. I'm never bothered by the scorching summer. I'll work in all day. But Phuck, Saturday kicked my a$$. I started cutting trees and brush and 8, by 1130 i put a fork in it. And its been really cool at night, sleeping without the air is great and last night it was so dang humid. I refuse to turn the air back on. 

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

i'm an all seasons guy, i like em all. When everyone else bitches about the heat and humidity, i love it. But i'm done with it. I'm never bothered by the scorching summer. I'll work in all day. But Phuck, Saturday kicked my a$$. I started cutting trees and brush and 8, by 1130 i put a fork in it. And its been really cool at night, sleeping without the air is great and last night it was so dang humid. I refuse to turn the air back on. 

You have some long nights ahead my friend. Horst says it stays very warm and humid for the next 10 days...

2 hours ago, canderson said:

MDT's gonna make a run at 90 Sunday. This is unbelievable. 

And @SnowPlowGuy88 - I read that as ice, ice baby. No bueno. 

Yea, that wouldn’t be much fun. Alas, we’ve got plenty of road salt left over from last year and more on the way in the next couple of weeks. I just want like 6” storms every 7-10 days with a couple of 10”+ ones in there somewhere. Definitely don’t want a blizzard with some of the new places we picked up this year. That storm back in 2016 sucked. I was in a plow truck for almost 50 hours. Clean up lasted another week and repairs and maintenance took another week. $$$$$ was good though! 

I was really looking forward to the fall cool down. Dropping water temps in the creek. But now they’re starting to warm up again. This has been a weird year for fishing with the ups and downs of water temps and then the constant rains earlier in the year raising water levels. I need colder weather to get the muskies active again. Caught one last week but since then they’re just lethargic. Cmon cooler weather! 

Lawns are starting to go dormant. It was such a great year for growing grass. Green as could be all year until now. Even some lawns we treat with irrigation are starting to go. Crazy. We only had about 6-7 weeks of treatments left. Might have to stop doing apps for a while. I had to skip 5 places today because it was too dry. I’m ready to plow some snow! Get this crazy year behind us and hope for an average winter with some damn cold! 

Archived