Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - December 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlisle got smacked. Tons of rain, lots of lightning and I think a bit of hail mixed in at times. Too much of a ping for rain. Drive up I81 wasnt the most pleasant but some phenomenal lightning everywhere. Some normal street flooding in Lower Allen near the mall and the municipal building and looking at the radar more storms lining up on the same track

11 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Carlisle got smacked. Tons of rain, lots of lightning and I think a bit of hail mixed in at times. Too much of a ping for rain. Drive up I81 wasnt the most pleasant but some phenomenal lightning everywhere. Some normal street flooding in Lower Allen near the mall and the municipal building and looking at the radar more storms lining up on the same track

I second the hail. I live off the Rossmoyne/Wesley Dr exit and there was some dime sized hail coming down briefly with that last round. Gearing up for round two now.....power flickered twice during the last one....

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Good luck.

Radar has a weird offshoot line going due north west of State College. Weird

Thanks!

One heavier wave is moving northeast through Pottsville, St Clair, and Schuylkill Haven. If it makes it here it may get intersting, at least for a little while.

All we've had so far for the past hour or so is light rain with distant flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder.

Heading to bed (been up since 2am) as I'm very tired. Closing in on one inch now. 

It took awhile to get started, but has rained pretty hard now for the past hour with some embedded thunder and lightning, but no cloud to ground strikes from what I could tell.

Still better than a lot of other rounds of activity that seemed to miss or fringe the area.

My annual precip so far is 29.16" and it's only the first week of August. It's been quite a wet year so far here, even if we missed most of the severe weather this summer. With another 1-2 inches predicted by most major models we'll be over 30 inches already by August 7th. If the wet pattern keeps up we'll probably come close to 50 inches for 2017.

Hey all!! Just stopping in to check in and see how everyone was doing. End of winter, I said I wanted to meet up with people, but I only got a few responses and couldn't really plan anything with just a couple people. In all honesty, it worked out for the best as I was busy as all get out at my job and was on the road for a full month worth of days doing training at the sites I forecast for. Finally done and ready to enjoy the rest of summer. I've been keeping track of weather across PA still and my god have some of you been getting thumped with heavy thunderstorms this summer. Looks like Harrisburg and East-Central Areas been getting rocked this year. Given the pattern we're in, the rain will continue, so at least we won't have to deal with drought this summer or fall. Look forward to getting back to positing more starting in the fall, or if a huge event is on the way. I'll be taking some much needed vacation starting in September early October with plans for a few road trips. If anyone wanted to hang out during the fall, just PM me and I can make plans ahead of time. Hope everyone is doing well and sorry for no responses and going off grid end of winter. Was a weird time for me in my life and work was consuming me for all my time. Finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, but judging by this weekend, it doesn't look like it'll be the sun :lol:. Hope all is well!! 

One last thing, I got referred by NWS hiring officials for interviews for job openings across NE and Mid Atlantic!! Wish me luck

6 hours ago, tim123 said:

Go to buffalo. You would love it. Lake snows abound

Man, I wish they were hiring haha. I actually know some people up there. I'm hoping to stay local (Sterling or Mount Holly) but anyone that will hire me that's available would work just fine. Really wish State College was looking for someone. 

On 8/10/2017 at 3:32 PM, MillvilleWx said:

One last thing, I got referred by NWS hiring officials for interviews for job openings across NE and Mid Atlantic!! Wish me luck

Good luck, Millville!

As for the rain and storms, we missed out on some, got fringed by others, and got hit by a few. With that said, the last two events have produced (at least rain-wise) but not so much in the lightning department. Tonight, for example, we have 1.41" as I type with more to come. The last decent event gave us about an inch and a half.

So far my yearly total is 30.97, again, as I type.

Archived