Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - December 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Cold kills bugs. I’m all in.

People don't get how I can possibly love cold weather. Everyone likes different things. I see or have no enjoyment in severe weather. To me, that is pointless. I was scolded on here years ago for being critical of people that like destructive storms. Fine. Then let me enjoy my cold and we'll all be happy.

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

People don't get how I can possibly love cold weather. Everyone likes different things. I see or have no enjoyment in severe weather. To me, that is pointless. I was scolded on here years ago for being critical of people that like destructive storms. Fine. Then let me enjoy my cold and we'll all be happy.

I like the cold too. Then again I like the heat as well :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol I still think you all are insane to enjoy sub zero WCs, I get the snow part, but insanely low temps are not favorable to most anyone(unless you're a stat nerd, but that would only be true if breaking records.)

I don't get it either, but to each his own I suppose. For me, I don't get enjoyment out of it being so cold that my face hurts just from spending 5 minutes pumping gas into my Jeep.

4 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Lol I still think you all are insane to enjoy sub zero WCs, I get the snow part, but insanely low temps are not favorable to most anyone(unless you're a stat nerd, but that would only be true if breaking records.)

I enjoy hiking, hunting Ice skating snow skiing (they make snow u know and as long as the ground is white winters appeal. Even an inch. 

I laugh at how some of you can’t get why many of us enjoy it, and as yesterday proved for many as long as you have cold....snow can happen. 

15 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I get the snow part as I have said several times, but my nephew has new sled and inch of snow but it's too brutal to be out more than a few minutes even bundled. 26 and heavy snow=awesome 

2 and wind= miserable and possibly destructive to pipes.

I was just outside drinking some winter Lager :wacko:

Last thing I'll say regarding weather extremes...I can bundle up and spend hours in the cold. If it's 104 with a 75 dew, what I am to do outside...run around naked? Trust me, that won't be pretty. I can do more to stay comfortable outdoors in the cold than I can in the heat. 

All extreme weather comes with a potential for negative impact on life and property. Hot and cold, summer and winter storms. No getting around that. 

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

I don't get it either, but to each his own I suppose. For me, I don't get enjoyment out of it being so cold that my face hurts just from spending 5 minutes pumping gas into my Jeep.

Voyager you don't have a beard? That saves the face from getting cold. 

52 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Last thing I'll say regarding weather extremes...I can bundle up and spend hours in the cold. If it's 104 with a 75 dew, what I am to do outside...run around naked? Trust me, that won't be pretty. I can do more to stay comfortable outdoors in the cold than I can in the heat. 

All extreme weather comes with a potential for negative impact on life and property. Hot and cold, summer and winter storms. No getting around that. 

A lot of truth there Mike. 

Happy New Years everyone. 

Multiple below zero readings per mesowest obs to ring in the new year this morning, especially north central and rural parts of the LSV where snowpack and likely calm winds/decoupling have allowed temps to plummet overnight. Pretty impressive stuff, comparable to some of the very cold snaps in 14-15.

Notables I see currently:

KTHV (York)  -9ºF

Both personal weather stations near Lebanon, -12ºF

KBFD (Bradford) -13ºF

Both personal weather stations near Smethport, -16ºF and -18ºF

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Multiple below zero readings per mesowest obs to ring in the new year this morning, especially north central and rural parts of the LSV where snowpack and likely calm winds/decoupling have allowed temps to plummet overnight. Pretty impressive stuff, comparable to some of the very cold snaps in 14-15.

Notables I see currently:

KTHV (York)  -9ºF

Both personal weather stations near Lebanon, -12ºF

KBFD (Bradford) -13ºF

Both personal weather stations near Smethport, -16ºF and -18ºF

I had -6f for a low.  Like you mentioned, a little snowpack and decoupling winds set the stage for a cold night.   

Got down to -1 here this morning.  Pretty incredible for so early in the season.  We have the clipper to thank for the magnitude of this cold via radiational cooling (and of course, the snowpack, meager as it is...got about 2" left on the ground).  This cold snap is going to be memorable after it ends, which doesn't look to happen until about another week from now.  I'm watching the Conodoguinet behind my home for a possible freeze over.  Not sure that happened in '13-'14 or '14-'15 cold periods.  Ice formation on the Susky must be accumulating at a pretty rapid pace now, especially with lack of any (liquid) precip.

Happy New Year to all!

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Got down to -1 here this morning.  Pretty incredible for so early in the season.  We have the clipper to thank for the magnitude of this cold via radiational cooling (and of course, the snowpack, meager as it is...got about 2" left on the ground).  This cold snap is going to be memorable after it ends, which doesn't look to happen until about another week from now.  I'm watching the Conodoguinet behind my home for a possible freeze over.  Not sure that happened in '13-'14 or '14-'15 cold periods.  Ice formation on the Susky must be accumulating at a pretty rapid pace now, especially with lack of any (liquid) precip.

Happy New Year to all!

It’s virtually iced over in hbg now. I’ll get a photo in the next day or two.

Archived