joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It looks like the radar is filling back in nicely over south central PA & is heading towards the LSV. 

Yeah, every time I check the radar, it looks to be backbuilding.   The snow growth is great with nice dime sized dendrites falling since 7am.    Maybe an isolated 6” amount is in reach.   

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

How is everyone's morning so far? Looks like radar has really looked good for many in the sub-forum. Pretty solid band over by South Mountain currently. I can see 3-4" around there. A nice powdery 1-3" with local 4" elsewhere. Not bad!

Good morning, Millville!  We have a little over 3", thus far, in downtown Lancaster at 9 am.  

20171230_090447.jpg

20171230_090304.jpg

Well...nice surprise here this morning.  Exactly 3.0" on the snowboard with a temp now up to 21 degrees.  I can't believe the ratios with this one.  I melted down the 3.0" of snow and only measured 0.11" of liquid.  That's an SLR of 27 : 1.  This snow has come from the arctic...lol.  This ratio is not the highest I've ever seen, but easily top 5 of all time for me personally.

This snow will greatly aid in radiational cooling by the time we get to tomorrow night.  Would not be surprised to see zero come New Year's Day morning.

Finally, my NWS forecast does not have me out of the teens beginning tonight and lasting until next Wednesday.  That's incredibly impressive for continued cold!!

I have badmouthed clippers since I found easternuswx back in 2010. This little bugger has deposited a bit over 4" here this morning. Lanco can get nice snow from clippers after all.
For those of us east of 81, let's not quit on next week, either...

My ears are up for next week.

Snowfall may allow us to get below zero.

2.6" of fluff here this morning, which is enough to make for a half-decent snowpack for this frigid stretch coming up.

9 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Regarding next week - the 12z Ukmet looked really interesting. The Euro...notsomuch. Still think there's something to watch out for next week. 

I'd watch for this storm to get reeled back in some over the next day or so, although if it will be enough for at least of portion of our subforum to get anything remains to be seen. The 500 mb ridge progged out west is right where you'd want it for a C-PA snowstorm, with good amplification in the pattern... but not much blocking downstream and the main shortwave gets pretty well offshore before it interacts with the northern stream (12z GFS). 0z Euro last night had some earlier interaction and thus a closer in solution. Hopefully we could work in a coastal storm, there's a lot of warmer than average waters in the Atlantic and combining that with the cold airmass we have running around right now that would make for a potentially explosive storm with the right setup. 

23 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

2.6" of fluff here this morning, which is enough to make for a half-decent snowpack for this frigid stretch coming up.

I'd watch for this storm to get reeled back in some over the next day or so, although if it will be enough for at least of portion of our subforum to get anything remains to be seen. The 500 mb ridge progged out west is right where you'd want it for a C-PA snowstorm, with good amplification in the pattern... but not much blocking downstream and the main shortwave gets pretty well offshore before it interacts with the northern stream (12z GFS). 0z Euro last night had some earlier interaction and thus a closer in solution. Hopefully we could work in a coastal storm, there's a lot of warmer than average waters in the Atlantic and combining that with the cold airmass we have running around right now that would make for a potentially explosive storm with the right setup. 

Thanks for your honest, level-headed thoughts. Reading through these forums is tough with so many oscillating with every new model run. One local met in this area who seems to be extremely knowledgable has steadfastly said to keep an eye open for next week. I'm just wondering if we're playing with like 5%-10% odds or something a bit higher for some sort of impact in eastern PA. 

MDT recorded 3.2 inches of snow today, which is a record for the date. They now have 5.6 inches for the season, which is right on pace for climo average to date.

All eyes now turn to the possible east coast storm for this Thursday. The UKMET at 12z today was the dream scenario. The other models trended in the right direction, but need a lot of work to provide a good storm for CTP.

Archived