• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - December 2017

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

One more day in Phoenix, and then it's back to PA...just in time for the winter festivities.

Your only allowed to come back if you root on WINTER festivities....(j/k...well...sorta) 

I self proclaim this a no POO POO'n snow zone.  

Starvin snowgeese need fed.  

Speakin of, i just cleaned one i got one this afternoon. 

Goose jerky.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Your only allowed to come back if you root on WINTER festivities....(j/k...well...sorta) 

I self proclaim this a no POO POO'n snow zone.  

Starvin snowgeese need fed.  

Speakin of, i just cleaned one i got one this afternoon. 

Goose jerky.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I'll try to be nice... ^_^

5 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

A lot of times we can get into a northern branch dominated and progressive storm pattern which can make it harder for seeing coastal storms develop (or at least the bigger ones) during Nina winters, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we can't get them as long as we have a favorable pattern alignment. This is also a relatively weak nina episode thus far so the direct influence isn't as clear cut, and can be more influenced by other traditional pattern drivers in the higher latitudes, your PNA/EPO/NAO,etc vs say a strong nina maybe having more of an influence on those pattern drivers. So we can either have a really good or really crappy pattern. We have a fairly friendly Pac (-EPO) and some high heights over the top to drop cold down looking forward to next week and beyond, so we will be plenty cold and we will have opportunities.

One thing nina or neutral conditions can take away from is a robust subtropical southern stream, but we can still see episodes of the southern stream being more active and helping charge up storms more. So yea there is a good chance we get a lot of smaller events such as the clipper we had two Wednesdays ago.. but we can still get phased or partial phased shortwaves that turn into big storms. The grand example of a weaker La-nina of comparable magnitude to what we have now being successful for snow in our area is the 95-96 winter, with the 96 blizzard headlining that winter of course.

Thank you for that explanation. Like Nutter said, just the thought of '95-'96 gives me chills. January 6th - 12th, 1996 was the 2nd greatest week of winter I've personally experienced, topped only by 2/5/2010-2/10/2010. In that week in '96 I received 30" on Sunday, 2" on Tuesday, then 11" more on Friday. 43" in 5 days with a 32" pack by that Friday evening. That week in 2010 I received 25" on the 5th followed by 20" on the 10th. 

13 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Thank you for that explanation. Like Nutter said, just the thought of '95-'96 gives me chills. January 6th - 12th, 1996 was the 2nd greatest week of winter I've personally experienced, topped only by 2/5/2010-2/10/2010. In that week in '96 I received 30" on Sunday, 2" on Tuesday, then 11" more on Friday. 43" in 5 days with a 32" pack by that Friday evening. That week in 2010 I received 25" on the 5th followed by 20" on the 10th. 

Those 2 weeks back in 1996 & 2010 were the best periods of extreme winter in my lifetime as well.

Let’s see what the next 2 weeks can bring?

10 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Cautiously optimistic right now. I'm going to be feeding off your eternal positive mojo until the flakes are flying. :)

The GFS tonight was absolutely amazing for the storm next week. Snow begins Friday morning & doesn’t end until early on Sunday! The Kuchera ratio snow map is glorious. It gives most of us across all of CTP 15 to 25 inches of snow !

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This is awesome! 

I’m not sure if I can stay awake for the Euro tonight. It’s going to be a long week of tracking this!

Just remember....i post snow maps for fun....and to stir the pot.  

still a long way to go, but the trend for an apprecaible/memorable event is still looking good (just dont look at 6z GFS).  It drank bottom shelf hooch and puked up a mess.  Hoping 12z's get back to the real deal.  Whether its an overruning, to coastal, or just 1 big deal, blocking is critical for this storm.  Just perty pics until we see that get here....

Nut

13 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

12 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Those 2 weeks back in 1996 & 2010 were the best periods of extreme winter in my lifetime as well.

Let’s see what the next 2 weeks can bring?

I also remember the second half of January in the year 2000, I believe, as an amazing snowy time in Lancaster as well. It was my senior year in high school, so remember fondly the snow days. :)

11 hours ago, pasnownut said:

It’s the most...wonderful time....of the year...

Funny...I am listening to the Christmas music station, and this song had literally just started playing and they sang this verse as I read your post. :P

Well, guys, I am getting excited, as it looks like this system at the end of the week will happen JUST as I am coming back to PA for the holidays. It has been over a decade since I last experienced a good ol' Nor' Easter. We for sure get more snow here in the Great Lakes region, but I sometimes miss the power of east coast snowstorms. If this happens, I will definitely be joining you guys on the storm reports again. :)

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

I also remember the second half of January in the year 2000, I believe, as an amazing snowy time in Lancaster as well. It was my senior year in high school, so remember fondly the snow days. :)

Funny...I am listening to the Christmas music station, and this song had literally just started playing and they sang this verse as I read your post. :P

Well, guys, I am getting excited, as it looks like this system at the end of the week will happen JUST as I am coming back to PA for the holidays. It has been over a decade since I last experienced a good ol' Nor' Easter. We for sure get more snow here in the Great Lakes region, but I sometimes miss the power of east coast snowstorms. If this happens, I will definitely be joining you guys on the storm reports again. :)

Good to hear you'll be joinin in the fun.  Looking forward to it.

Safe travels.

Nut(ter) :P

I echo maytown's sentiments as well.  Merry Christmas to all, and safe travels to those of us who must travel during this time.  

It's funny how quickly the convo dried up when the GFS suddenly said no storm for end of next week.  At least it looks like a ground-whitening snowfall later this evening into overnight, followed by blowing snow during the day tomorrow.  So...it will look like Christmas and the wind chills will make it feel like Christmas.

As for the late week storm, while I have no idea what will transpire all I can say is that the GFS loses big storms frequently between days 5 to 7, then brings it back.  Today is day 5, so let's look to see if it begins to bring it back tomorrow.  I think this morning's 12z run has a sizeable mid-atlantic storm with 6+ throughout Virginia.  So it probably wouldn't take too much to bring that further north.

The overcast from tonight's snow has just arrived, and I can begin my dreamin' now.

2 hours ago, sauss06 said:

Merry Christmas Men. Enjoy your time with family and friends. 

:wub: hard to complain with an accumulating snow Christmas night... seems like it's been a long time since that happened. I'll send some prayers to Santa to hopefully bring next week's storm back west a bit.

Already getting some light mixed precip here in State College... stay safe everyone and thank you mets for your consistently great contributions to this thread!

Archived