• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2017

Some big totals being reported in Cambria and Somerset counties. 

11" was reported near Seven Springs Resort in Somerset County as well as these Cambria County reports.

...Cambria County...
   7 SE Windber          13.2   700 AM 12/14  Co-Op Observer          
   2 W Nanty-Glo         12.0   652 AM 12/14  Social Media            
   Hastings               6.0   651 AM 12/14  Social Media            
   Prince Gallitzin Sta   5.8   853 AM 12/14  CoCoRaHS                
   Glendale Lake          5.8   853 AM 12/14  Co-Op Observer          
   Belmont                5.8   800 AM 12/14  CoCoRaHS                
   Ebensburg              4.0   145 AM 12/14  Social Media            
   Johnstown              2.2   950 PM 12/13  Public                  

Not sure about the Nanty Glo report but the 7 SE Windber Co-op one is likely legit, elevations get up to around 2700' in that area. Technically that area's in Somerset County. Either way  there must have been some impressive fluff factor to go with elevational enhancement.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Some big totals being reported in Cambria and Somerset counties. 

11" was reported near Seven Springs Resort in Somerset County as well as these Cambria County reports.

Not sure about the Nanty Glo report but the 7 SE Windber Co-op one is likely legit, elevations get up to around 2700' in that area. Technically that area's in Somerset County. Either way  there must have been some impressive fluff factor to go with elevational enhancement.

Holy cow! I have to guess it's rather uncommon to see clipper totals exceed a foot regardless of location, correct? 

Wow, just got home from work.  What a surprise to see the snow get heavier as I headed west from Mechanicsburg to Carlisle.  I've got 0.8" of new snow here with a temp of 24.8 degrees.  No prob accumulating with weakest/lowest sun angle of the season.  This was not in the forecast last night at all.  Flake size increasing right now but radar looking like maybe the end is not too far off to my west.  Still, more December snow to enjoy!

Have a dusting so far from the patchy snow that is still hanging on back this way.

Models still all over the place in the extended. We do appear to be heading for a moderation in the pattern to begin next week, but beyond that there hasn't been much run to run consistency on operational models. Good chance we reload on cold with the EPO forecast to take a nosedive and MJO heading into more favorable phases. Today's 12z Euro has one heck of an overrunning/frontal wave event for Christmas. Models have been hinting occasionally at this type of scenario in this timeframe and with the attempted moderation in the pattern next week and ample cold available just to the north I would watch for this to potentially happen where the gradient sets up...and our region should be near it.

It was a nice little snow event for a few hours today. MDT recorded .5 inches, bringing the seasonal total to 2.4 inches, which is right on normal pace for the season to date.

It looks like we may have a winter storm to track for Christmas! The Euro today has 8 inches of snow on the ground across all of CTP by the end of the 10 day run & it was still going at the end!

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

Getting these little events and the cold right away kinda gives me the gut feeling that we're looking at a 2013/2014 kind of season. Which doesn't verify with anybody's picks, so maybe it's just a month of this and we torch, but my supported by zero science gut thinks otherwise.

A 2013/14 type season could happen if we can maintain a dominant western/Pac ridging (+PNA, -EPO) regime, especially with the continued absence of -NAO..which was a thing we had a lack of in the 13/14 and 14/15 winters. Well I guess overall we've really had a lack of established -NAO in most of the last several winters. The Pacific has been a big driver of our winters lately. The onslaught of storms and mountain snows in the west last winter that ended the California drought meant we had to deal with persistent ridging in the east. Persistent +NAO/AO also didn't help with releasing sustained cold either. We have had a pretty good pattern going currently, not necessarily for big hitter storms.. but for sustaining cold and providing some snow opportunities here and there.

La ninas can also be a potential factor in front-end winters. 05-06 was such an example where a really good late Nov/December went kinda flat later in the winter (aside from the Feb 2006 blizzard. Of course we have the 95/96 La Nina episode and I don't have to provide reminders of the snowiness of that winter...although most of the damage was done there Mid-November to mid January. Those were both weaker Ninas and our sensible weather when it comes to weak enso episodes on either side of the spectrum usually are more influenced by the traditional teleconnections more than the other way around (stronger Enso episodes actually doing the influencing). 

0.7" new tonight from some snow squall action.

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Carlisle...I'd hit the like button....but i cant find it. :P

We bought Kirkland hooch the other weekend and while I like it....it may be doing wonky things to my head

Please tell my y'all are seeing a different look to the boards???

Yea I noticed the changes to the board too, I'd say maybe keep drinking that stuff til you see the like button come back haha. 

Yeah, I thought something was wrong with my phone last night. I had to sign back in, and then the text was in the wrong spots, etc...

Today it's back to normal, but the skin and features are different. So far I kind of like it, at least on my phone. Haven't checked on a desktop yet.

Archived