• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - December 2017

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Not me. I'm a "go big or go home" guy. I'm ok with a good 6"+ snowstorm (even though I don't really like it) but the 1-2 inch nuisances irritate me...

size queen ;)

edit: Also I'll be up around Lock Haven tomorrow-monday so I probably wont even get to see the flakes :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing in md and nj so get ready.

I’ve learned to quit model watching usually 8-12 hrs before storm hits, that’s also why I post less once I know “it’s happening”...and guess what.....it’s happening. 2-3” is a great start. 

while I love to track storm I get just giddy seeing it fall  

Ill post during but I live to play in it. 

We are bow hunting in it tomorrow morning. Gonna be challenging but fun.  

6 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I am with Voyager, dynamic systems with larger impacts interest me, as do squalls....alberta clipper 2 inchers are as boring and annoying as showery day in spring.

I think we'd all love the big systems since when it comes to snow we're all size queens but snow is snow...bring it on

13 minutes ago, Anduril said:

I think we'd all love the big systems since when it comes to snow we're all size queens but snow is snow...bring it on

Agreed, and for a lot of us south and east of State College, it's been a go big or go home decade. It seems like we've had as many foot-plus storms as we have in the 3"-6" range or so. 

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say hi from snowy Atlanta!!  My son, Josh, is a flight attendant with Delta, and he just bought his first small home...2 miles northwest of ATL airport in College Park.  His mom and I flew down Tuesday night to help him move from his apartment in Smyrna, and we certainly were not expecting to see snow while we were down here.  It has gone back and forth between rain, sleet, and snow since around 9:00am this morning.  We picked up about 0.5" before noon and then it changed over to rain and became slush.  Then later in the afternoon it switched back to sleet and snow with the temp around 33.5 degrees.  We've now picked up another fresh 0.5" and everything is white again.  Unfortunately for us, Delta has cancelled a ton of flights, including our flight back to MDT for tonight and likely both flights tomorrow.  So...looks like we're stuck down here until Sunday.  I wonder if I will end up seeing more snow down here than in Carlisle for tomorrow's event?

Anyway, hope you all enjoy your first accumulations of this young season.  Looks like we're going to be cold for a while.  Perfect atmosphere for before Christmas.  December snows are always special because the sun angle is at its lowest of the year.

I'll update you in the morning on what we ended up with down here, tomorrow.  Have a good night of anticipation!

Stephen

36 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say hi from snowy Atlanta!!  My son, Josh, is a flight attendant with Delta, and he just bought his first small home...2 miles northwest of ATL airport in College Park.  His mom and I flew down Tuesday night to help him move from his apartment in Smyrna, and we certainly were not expecting to see snow while we were down here.  It has gone back and forth between rain, sleet, and snow since around 9:00am this morning.  We picked up about 0.5" before noon and then it changed over to rain and became slush.  Then later in the afternoon it switched back to sleet and snow with the temp around 33.5 degrees.  We've now picked up another fresh 0.5" and everything is white again.  Unfortunately for us, Delta has cancelled a ton of flights, including our flight back to MDT for tonight and likely both flights tomorrow.  So...looks like we're stuck down here until Sunday.  I wonder if I will end up seeing more snow down here than in Carlisle for tomorrow's event?

Anyway, hope you all enjoy your first accumulations of this young season.  Looks like we're going to be cold for a while.  Perfect atmosphere for before Christmas.  December snows are always special because the sun angle is at its lowest of the year.

I'll update you in the morning on what we ended up with down here, tomorrow.  Have a good night of anticipation!

Stephen

I hope he enjoys Atlanta...I was down there on a business trip and while I really enjoyed the city and the people, I don't know that I could handle the traffic on a regular basis. I've been to a lot of cities and Atlanta's traffic is horrid. First day of meetings down there and I was told to leave the city by 3pm at the latest if I wanted any hope of avoiding gridlock. 

Enjoy your southern snow! 

6 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

I'll nickle and dime way all winter inch by inch. 

My favorite scenario is a nice snow pack (something that cannot melt to where grass is showing even on the warmest/wettest of days) and than get continuous refreshers every time it starts melting off. That happened a few years ago...we had 2 months of continuous pack for that very reason. 

One of the main reasons I moved to Michigan... :P I have been checking out the NWS forecasts, and of course, Eric Horst's Special Discussions to see how things are panning out for you guys in the LSV. If you can manage to get 3 or 4 inches, you may be able to retain some of it (especially in the shade) this upcoming week. Looks like Upper 30s/40 for the highest temps?

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The radar looks to be filling in in western & northern VA. There is currently snow falling all the way down in Alabama.

There looks to be a good amount of virga  now on the radar in eastern & southern PA.

I view this as a good sign of where the snow shield will set up as this storm gets its act together today.

Virga has to be the one of the most frustrating things to a weather "weenie" and especially a snow lover. Nothing but wasted flakes and potential accumulation...

Archived