• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - December 2017

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

That's perfect! And I'm just like Ferris's best friend Cameron. :)

We talk in here a lot about how over the past 10 years or so the I95 cities have been doing better with snow amounts than areas farther west into true central PA...

Well, whatever happened to REAL cold fronts? I distinctly remember multiple times growing up where we would have a front come through and the temperature would fall 30-45 degrees in a matter of hours. I can't remember the last time we had a front come through where we went from say 45 down to 15 in a few hours. What is the reasoning for that? I'm asking you because you probably have about 25 journals stuffed with your weather records sitting around. :)

LOL

the last time i remember was during Deer season awhile ago. i Hunt Miller Township, Perry County, It had been calm and fairly warm for hunting season, then a front came through  turned into a wind whipped heavy snow, dropping several inches in short order. Maybe 2002 or '03

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tracking and talking about potential storms is a ton of fun. My wife is usually po'd with me right after a storm ends. To me, it's like Christmas night...all the anticipation and build up over the special event is over, and I feel worn out and depressed. She's like "well you got the snow you obsessively tracked for the past week and a half, aren't you going to enjoy it other than shovel?" I'm like...that's not the point. It's the chase...

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Dude.....you nailed it.

I just tell her next one is xxxx hours/days away and go back to my dungeon :).

F

I'm the same way. Its about the journey, not the destination 

24 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

LOL

the last time i remember was during Deer season awhile ago. i Hunt Miller Township, Perry County, It had been calm and fairly warm for hunting season, then a front came through  turned into a wind whipped heavy snow, dropping several inches in short order. Maybe 2002 or '03

Probably. I can't remember the exact year, but early on in my marriage, I remember taking my wife to work and it was in the low 60's and raining. We left the house almost exactly as the front was passing through. By the time I got her to work in Palmerton, it was already down into the upper 30's and the rain was mixing with snow. By the time I got back to the house, the temp had plummeted into the upper 20's and the snow was starting to accumulate. All told, in about an hour and 45 minutes the temp dropped 40 degrees, and the heavy rain had flipped to a heavy, accumulating snow. We got about 2 inches on the non paved surfaces and a slushy half inch to inch everywhere else.

15 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Probably. I can't remember the exact year, but early on in my marriage, I remember taking my wife to work and it was in the low 60's and raining. We left the house almost exactly as the front was passing through. By the time I got her to work in Palmerton, it was already down into the upper 30's and the rain was mixing with snow. By the time I got back to the house, the temp had plummeted into the upper 20's and the snow was starting to accumulate. All told, in about an hour and 45 minutes the temp dropped 40 degrees, and the heavy rain had flipped to a heavy, accumulating snow. We got about 2 inches on the non paved surfaces and a slushy half inch to inch everywhere else.

I sort of remember that now - thanks guys for that reminder. 

i can recall at least a few times back in the 70s and 80s listening to Elliot Abrams on AM radio talking about a dramatic front that was going to be coming through. At least once I went to school with temps in the 60s and when I got home it was in the 20s. I also remember a Christmas Eve, maybe around 1983 when it was in the 30s mid-morning and by nightfall it was down near zero. 

Storms seem to have gotten more intense, more dramatic in recent years, where sharp fronts and huge temperature drops have gotten less so. 

I sort of remember that now - thanks guys for that reminder. 

i can recall at least a few times back in the 70s and 80s listening to Elliot Abrams on AM radio talking about a dramatic front that was going to be coming through. At least once I went to school with temps in the 60s and when I got home it was in the 20s. I also remember a Christmas Eve, maybe around 1983 when it was in the 30s mid-morning and by nightfall it was down near zero. 

Storms seem to have gotten more intense, more dramatic in recent years, where sharp fronts and huge temperature drops have gotten less so. 

I remeber that one. I think it got down to about -3 in Allentown Christmas morning...

Today began day 1 of what looks to be quite a stretch of mainly below average temperatures for our region and much of the eastern US as we go forward into mid December. Very impressive western ridge (+PNA) and -EPO regime look to establish itself and provide an ample supply line of cold air into our end of the country. High latitude blocking and anomalously high heights over the top (-AO) look to support that notion with the ability of said cold air to make significant inroads pretty deep into the eastern US. To put it simply.. very high confidence in at least the next 6-10 days to be cold. Definitely the best December look we've had the last several years, as even our more recent winters that were very cold (13/14 and 14/15) had slow starts in this month... and it's light years different than the last two Decembers. 

So we're going to have ample cold, the big question of course as I mentioned in my last post is if we can take advantage of it...and to that point, it still looks northern branch dominated. In addition, the western ridge is the dominant driver in our pattern coming up with not much from the NAO as modeling shows downstream ridging but oriented a bit too far east to really make for a trough alignment that would be conducive to have any sort of coastal action. Or if there was a decent coastal that fired up, there would be a high chance of it being too far east for us. That's just how things look for now to at least start this cold period, I think we will eventually see some more storminess and potential opportunities towards the holidays when the pattern alignment may relax a bit or gear up to reload. That's not to say we won't have snow opportunities in the meantime, I'm mainly talking more about the prospects of a bigger winter storm traversing the US. I still would bet on at least one of these northern branch shortwaves diving down in the next week or so to deliver our first widespread snowfall.. and the LES machine should be alive and well for the favored areas. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, maytownpawx said:

You're one of a select few who have ventured and succeeded to "fit in" down there. That has always been a good read and highly entertaining...so much better than the train wreck that is the NYC forum. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, pasnownut said:

Well I may have but the meteo pecking order /hierarchy in there gets a bit old. Some can offer good disco but unless a chosen few say it, it often gets little response. It’s intentional and a shame.  That said, there are a bunch of good folks down there as Mets and hobbyists alike. Short of the NE forum it could easily be the most informative forum on the board. All that aside I enjoy the disco and don’t care about my like count. 

Looking forward to hopefully carrying on multiple conversations in the future. ;)  

Hi, guys. Stopping by to check on things in my hometown of Lancaster. :) I feel somewhat similarly as you do with the Great Lakes board, which I am mostly a part of because of my current location in Michigan. There are some real good people on our board, but there are a few who will completely ignore you or be rude if you don't have the "red tag". But for the most part, it's a good board, Hoosier is a good moderator, and they don't stand for much nonsense. Banter is quickly sent to the Banter thread.

Just wanted to say...I always appreciate the interactions I have with you guys on the Central PA thread. You have always been welcoming and up for conversation. Don't lose that. (Of course, it might be that I share my hometown of Lancaster with several of you. :) )

P.S. We are FINALLY getting lake effect snow up here. Working on 5 inches since midnight.

56 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Hi, guys. Stopping by to check on things in my hometown of Lancaster. :) I feel somewhat similarly as you do with the Great Lakes board, which I am mostly a part of because of my current location in Michigan. There are some real good people on our board, but there are a few who will completely ignore you or be rude if you don't have the "red tag". But for the most part, it's a good board, Hoosier is a good moderator, and they don't stand for much nonsense. Banter is quickly sent to the Banter thread.

Just wanted to say...I always appreciate the interactions I have with you guys on the Central PA thread. You have always been welcoming and up for conversation. Don't lose that. (Of course, it might be that I share my hometown of Lancaster with several of you. :) )

P.S. We are FINALLY getting lake effect snow up here. Working on 5 inches since midnight.

hey man, i remember you, thanks for stopping by and rubbing SNOW in our face :snowing::snowing: j/k hope you're well 

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

You are always welcome here! And by the way, is your name on here in any reference to Black Rock Retreat? 

Glad to hear you're getting some white stuff. We're hoping we won't be too far behind you. 

2 hours ago, blackrock said:

all good rock....

Once a CTP'r.....always a CTP'r.  Check in....throw your thoughts into the ring......just dont rub to much snow in our faces....

(j/k....were all big kids here.  We can take it).

:)

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

This was a fish storm yesterday.

Thinking light snow or flurries into at least Berks and Lancaster.

Any help on timing? I'm horrible at reading times off models - we'll get into NYC around 10 or so Saturday morning, event ends at 8:30. We usually park at Seacaucus but will park down in Iselin at Metropark since it's a garage. 

I have a 630am flight out of Allentown to Philly, then on to Phoenix, on Sunday morning. I'm guessing this is the Friday night into Saturday event? For awhile, some were getting more giddy for Saturday night into Sunday.

Hopefully it don't mess me up, as my wife isn't a good snow driver, and she's the one taking me to the airport...

4 hours ago, sauss06 said:

hey man, i remember you, thanks for stopping by and rubbing SNOW in our face :snowing::snowing: j/k hope you're well 

Haha! Thanks. I'll post a picture of what it looked like this morning below, just to rub it in some more. We have a couple more inches now on top of what you see... :P

4 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

You are always welcome here! And by the way, is your name on here in any reference to Black Rock Retreat? 

Glad to hear you're getting some white stuff. We're hoping we won't be too far behind you. 

Thanks! It is, indeed in reference to Black Rock Retreat! I worked there a couple of summers as a camp counselor, and my friend is the Summer Camp Program Director.

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

all good rock....

Once a CTP'r.....always a CTP'r.  Check in....throw your thoughts into the ring......just dont rub to much snow in our faces....

(j/k....were all big kids here.  We can take it).

:)

Ha! Thanks...I do miss talking with all the people on this board. My wife and I are probably going to be moving back east, as we would like to start a family, and not have our families (almost all in PA) 10 to 12 hours away. We are looking at Upstate New York...I am trying so hard to find SOMETHING as close to the Tug Hill as possible. :P I will be back in Central PA (my parents now live in Danville, next to Geisenger Medical Center) during the holidays, so I will for sure be checking in here.

Looks like as the pattern relaxes a bit towards the end of the month...you guys will have some better chances.

First snow 2017.jpg

First Snow 2017 2.jpg

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Brother in Austin Texas had snow today lol

I lived in Texas for 8 years while I was stationed at Ft. Hood. It snowed twice in that period. Once it coated the ground and that shut everything down. Huge trucks on the side of the road. The other time it was a mix of sleet and snow that made things slick and it was even worse. Got the day off work, and again, everything shut down. Texans do not handle snow very well. 

Archived