Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - December 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, canderson said:

Right at 2" yesterday. 

Unbelievable disparity between your home and mine the past month or so. I had not a drop of rain yesterday. I was watching Matt Moore talking about flood warnings on the Swatara Creek and I was wondering what in the world he was talking about. It never really threatened to rain here yesterday or last night. 

31 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Unbelievable disparity between your home and mine the past month or so. I had not a drop of rain yesterday. I was watching Matt Moore talking about flood warnings on the Swatara Creek and I was wondering what in the world he was talking about. It never really threatened to rain here yesterday or last night. 

Insane. 

If it makes you feel better this storm cell now looks to nail you but split the city without much of anything,

Just now, canderson said:

You get much rain out of that cell ere? We only got about .1" as it skirted us but it looked like it got you nicely. 

Dont have any way to measure but it sure sounded like it was pouring for a few minutes. power flickered a couple of times too

DC got smacked with a storm last night - was watching DC United and the announcers were all confused when the game got a weather delay "just a few clouds" and then...monsoon. <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Flooding is about about 3.5 feet deep in the team walk out tunnel at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RFK?src=hash">#RFK</a> stadium <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/dcu?src=hash">#dcu</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DCvRSL?src=hash">#DCvRSL</a> <a href="https://t.co/ae3lNp7aN8">pic.twitter.com/ae3lNp7aN8</a></p>&mdash; Lindsay Simpson (@lindsaysimpson) <a href="https://twitter.com/lindsaysimpson/status/896527565896245248">August 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On 8/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, MillvilleWx said:

Man, I wish they were hiring haha. I actually know some people up there. I'm hoping to stay local (Sterling or Mount Holly) but anyone that will hire me that's available would work just fine. Really wish State College was looking for someone. 

They get to forecast lake snow too. Warren county area. 

On 8/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, canderson said:

Insane. 

If it makes you feel better this storm cell now looks to nail you but split the city without much of anything,

On 8/12/2017 at 4:19 PM, Anduril said:

Dont have any way to measure but it sure sounded like it was pouring for a few minutes. power flickered a couple of times too

Its crazy how you're almost in line with me and Anduril, with only the mighty Susqy separating us. It dumped Saturday. i still haven't replaced my gauge, but my friend/neighbor had 3/4" Saturday afternoon in that system that rolled through. with a Friday/Saturday total of almost 3". 

anyone with thoughts or info on Hurricane season? Co-worker told me he read its going to be active, with several having an impact on our area??!?!??

11 hours ago, sauss06 said:

anyone with thoughts or info on Hurricane season? Co-worker told me he read its going to be active, with several having an impact on our area??!?!??

If we keep up the Continental air-masses with various fronts working down into the East coast, it would be tough for significant impact for anyone north of 30N unless we get remnants funneling into the region along the front, or if there's a long enough break between boundaries to open a window of opportunity. Doesn't mean we can't get hit, but certainly less of a threat. Need a well established ridge over the Western Atlantic in order for systems to cut underneath and gain latitude. Right now is sort of unfavorable with models suggesting more fronts traversing the area. I think with the Western Atlantic wave train getting rolling, the typical mid September through October time frame will be interesting, especially if we can stop this trough progression through the Northeast.

10 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

If we keep up the Continental air-masses with various fronts working down into the East coast, it would be tough for significant impact for anyone north of 30N unless we get remnants funneling into the region along the front, or if there's a long enough break between boundaries to open a window of opportunity. Doesn't mean we can't get hit, but certainly less of a threat. Need a well established ridge over the Western Atlantic in order for systems to cut underneath and gain latitude. Right now is sort of unfavorable with models suggesting more fronts traversing the area. I think with the Western Atlantic wave train getting rolling, the typical mid September through October time frame will be interesting, especially if we can stop this trough progression through the Northeast.

Hey all.  Happy frickin sticky @ss summer to all.

Mill....I hope your wrong about the late season pig SE Ridge.  The only think making this summer bearable and safe to come out of the cave, is for the lack of heat.  Pig SE ridge and wind fields from it would likely do a late season cook off with high humidity for the MA and points NE.  I'm hoping the current wave train continues right into autumn as the pattern starts to once again buckle and wavelengths shorten.  I dare say....I can take this...so far.

Hoping that my next post is Mid Sept and we are chatting about the first cool shots.

Nut

10 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Mill....I hope your wrong about the late season pig SE Ridge.  The only think making this summer bearable and safe to come out of the cave, is for the lack of heat.  Pig SE ridge and wind fields from it would likely do a late season cook off with high humidity for the MA and points NE.  I'm hoping the current wave train continues right into autumn as the pattern starts to once again buckle and wavelengths shorten.  I dare say....I can take this...so far.

Hoping that my next post is Mid Sept and we are chatting about the first cool shots.

Nut

First big cool shot coming in 10 days

14 hours ago, tim123 said:

Welcome to the best forum in the bunch :).  

Hope your right.  We really only have 4 more weeks until seasonal progression starts to play in our favor, so anything unfavorable (or favorable - depending on what side of the weather fence you sit on), is likely transient anyways.

Nut

On 8/16/2017 at 9:30 AM, pasnownut said:

Nut

I personally haven't looked at the long term beyond this month, but I don't necessarily see the trough train ending anytime soon. I was just referencing that if it did breakdown, we might be in a world of hurt. Waves off Africa have been incessant last 3 weeks or so. Tis the season. Trust me, I want the trough action just as much as you lol. Nothing worse than heat and humidity to round out summer. Ugh 

17 hours ago, tim123 said:

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Welcome to the best forum in the bunch :).  

Hope your right.  We really only have 4 more weeks until seasonal progression starts to play in our favor, so anything unfavorable (or favorable - depending on what side of the weather fence you sit on), is likely transient anyways.

Nut

GFS showing 2-3 Standard Deviations below normal 500mb heights this time next week. That would be a refreshing shot of cool air into region. Bring it on!!

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Wow, really? That'd be welcomed because the next 5-6 days look very warm and even more muggy. 

This is the look on 18z Wednesday so right during the afternoon. 500mb pattern continues to show an anomalous upper low over Quebec with low heights over all the Northeast. This would be beyond refreshing with next 4 days feeling like soup. 

IMG_2629.thumb.PNG.15cd12ebbb74bb372c0ea48221d76fe8.PNG

Archived