Weathernoob335
April Obs/Disco Thread

George BM

12 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Question for the group.  What defines ''heavy rainfall'' for you. My criteria:

• 4" in 6 hours
  • 5" in 12 hours
  • 6" in 24 hours

To me, there is a difference between heavy sustained rainfall and heavy thunderstorm rainfall.  The latter is more like 2"/hr rates, the true "downpour".  The former is tougher to gauge, but I'd say that even 3" over 6 hours is heavy rainfall for that time period. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Meanwhile, it looks like we torch to end the week (and month). Outside outside shot at DCA verifying a low end heat wave? Thinking we get at least 1 day of 90. 

I'd put money on DCA hitting 90 by Sunday.  BWI hitting 90 this weekend wouldn't surprise me either.

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Quick look at nam looks mostly dry today...hope so ..so I can finally cut my foot high grass. This system ended up being much less qpf then models depicted even a couple days ago. 

Latest Hrrr does have an area between DC  and Baltimore getting near  .50" ..so there's that fwiw.

Yeah. I've been waiting for the rain to start for the past 3 days. I've had 2 rain showers out of this rainy period. I hope this isn't the way this summer goes.

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

lol

When me, Ian, and 1,000 chasers converge on the DDC area on May 24th, I'll be sure to get a wedge (that tears through a field!) selfie. 

Ian would be happy -- he had a great chase in the DDC area last year, late May too.

Are you going with Ian or by yourself and going to meet up with him? I know he is going with Ellinwood and wxmeddler. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Quick look at nam looks mostly dry today...hope so ..so I can finally cut my foot high grass. This system ended up being much less qpf then models depicted even a couple days ago. 

Latest Hrrr does have an area between DC  and Baltimore getting near  .50" ..so there's that fwiw.

hi-res sems to be the way to go today.   NAM nest also shows a nice slug of rain during the midday hours.    But it should be done by early (or at worst, mid) afternoon.

14 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Yeah. I've been waiting for the rain to start for the past 3 days. I've had 2 rain showers out of this rainy period. I hope this isn't the way this summer goes.

Yeah, I've had almost nothing other than occasional drizzle / mist for this event.  3 days of rain, and the ground beneath our Sequoia remains dry, and my driveway is about 10 degrees inclined.  It's damp, which has been a blessing for the grass seed I put down, but we got no rain of significance.  A day in the 80s and every drop of moisture we got will be vaporized.

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Nah, I'm going with a different group. It'd be funny if we did end up in the same location though at one point. 

I'm sure if you hit him up on twitter, he would be happy to meet up with you. Drop him, or Mark, or JT a line. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived