Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April Banter Thread

George BM

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Seeing the massive set of layoffs of writers and on air personalities at ESPN today reminded me of where I was just a few months ago. I feel for them. It's hard to think that it can all be over just like that. Money aside, it's tough when you pour your heart and soul into your work and have to part with it like that. It's a shame. 

I was fortunate. Three years ago when I came to DC, there was no guarantee that things would work out for me. I was barely surviving. Just two months ago, I was cleaning out my desk. Today I make more money than I ever did, have a bigger profile, and most important--I get to have a direct impact on a person's life every day.

Nothing lasts forever. I'm just enjoying the ride. 

:thumbsup:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

West Kansas looks to get crushed with up to 20- 30 inches of paste and 40 -60 mph gusts according to Euro. Pretty wild for almost May. 

Classmate at MU used to work for Goodland NWS.  He told me they can flip from 65 and sunny to a raging blizzard the next morning and then back to 70 and sunny two days later.  It takes a special kind of person to live out there.

Today marks the completion of 8 years that I have reported precip to Cocorahs, since they first brought WV online.  I am proud that it is a complete record, as I have not missed a daily report in that time.  (On the occasions that I have been away from home, I have a neighbor who checks the gauge and sends me a report.)

Summary of the period shows 336.37" of liquid; 278.2" of snowfall, and 262 days with snow cover.  7 hail reports, only two of which were as large as 1", and none since 6/2014.

2 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Today marks the completion of 8 years that I have reported precip to Cocorahs, since they first brought WV online.  I am proud that it is a complete record, as I have not missed a daily report in that time.  (On the occasions that I have been away from home, I have a neighbor who checks the gauge and sends me a report.)

Summary of the period shows 336.37" of liquid; 278.2" of snowfall, and 262 days with snow cover.  7 hail reports, only two of which were as large as 1", and none since 6/2014.

Awesome dedication. I started CoCoRaHS back in 2006, but my data and Virgina MN got messed up on the NOHRSC snow network and they had to reset and clean the board for me on 12/21/07 as VA-AL-3, was '2' previously. I have a few (8 maybe) missed days in 2008/9 were I was always on the road with job and son or wife didn't enter data, been a complete slate since 2-7-2009 though. Same here, I have a neighbor that comes and checks things when I'm not home and writes them down, they won't enter for me, but can't ask more than that right? I'll check and edit this for totals, just for comparison.......

EDIT:

Since 'new' station on 12-21-2007 421.07" of liquid, 269.6 inches of snow and 239 days with snow cover. About 9.5 years data, so, 44.3 inches avg rain, 28.3 inches of snow and 25 days of snow cover. 14 hail reports, 3 1", last being 09/03/2011 and last hail report was on 20th of this month with pea to grape (1/4 to 1/2 inch) falling.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived