• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter Thread

George BM

Exorcism. Marvin being fired. The end of the world. After 45 years of being a Bengals fan, and only seeing 5 playoff wins in that span (albeit four of those coming in the two super bowl years - losses in the final game though), I am pretty on board with some franchises are cursed (shout out to the Vikings fans on this board, and any Bills fans around - curse recognizes curse). All of which is to say, while I am not a Caps fan (mostly because I don't follow hockey) I completely get the discomfort/dread of watching this unfold. You come to expect bad things in the playoffs as a fan because that is all you have known. At some point, it infects the team/organization. I can't explain it, but it does. Here's hoping the Caps break out of it this year.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I attended LWX's SKYWARN "Flood" specialty class.  It was really good, and I learned a lot especially since I'd never thought much about flooding before.  (And it was free, though I did have to pay the price of driving to Leesburg in rush hour).  A couple things I thought might be of broader interest:

1) The instructor said LWX is planning to add a probabilistic forecast for rain, like the snowfall tool, though he didn't give a time frame.  I know these products evoke strong feelings here, at least for snow...

2) NWS is more conservative on flash flood warnings now because of the emergency alerts that go off on our phones; they don't want people to start turning off/tuning out those alerts.  

Finally, they have a history of area flooding, going back to George Washington's time, available at http://www.weather.gov/lwx//floodtimeline

On 4/15/2017 at 11:10 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm really excited. It seems like May will be a month of wx for me. Between the HH being in town, CWG weather day, and my first #chasecation during the last half of the month, it could be an epic time for me :) 

For the photographers here--I've started looking into the different types of cameras that would be good for a chase trip. I'm thinking a travel compact camera (?) will get the job done, but I'd like something that has a good zoom, takes video, and can easily be uploaded to my phone or online. Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend $300-$400. 

On 4/18/2017 at 9:47 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

Also, no one has camera buying advice for me? :(

Problem is there isn't a lot of chasers within this forum in general, and add to that the fact that most are using equipment that are 2-3+ times higher in price range, and that's why there has been no response. I myself have not researched that part of the market to make good suggestions. You may want to try searching for/making a thread on https://stormtrack.org/community/ to get better insight. There's a much wider breadth of experience with cameras/camcorders in the $300-400 budget within that forum.

28 minutes ago, yoda said:

Always nice to see the Penguins advance to the 2nd round with ease... time to wait for Toronto to win the next two games in their series... Penguins get nearly a weeks rest

Lol. Did you know i am a Patriots fan in football, a Blackhawks fan in hockey and oh right a Yankees fan in baseball. In college basketball i swing between Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. In college football i am a Clemson and Alabama fan. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

Lol. Did you know i am a Patriots fan in football, a Blackhawks fan in hockey and oh right a Yankees fan in baseball. In college basketball i swing between Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. In college football i am a Clemson and Alabama fan. :facepalm:

I thought you were a Ravens fan in football?

On 4/18/2017 at 9:47 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

Also, no one has camera buying advice for me? :(

Here's a very user friendly camera for a novice. :D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/47825751?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222035190691&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10359855551&wl4=kwd-1105703042295&wl12=47825751_10000001491&wl14=kodak instant camera&veh=sem

I spent four hours mowing my lawn and two of my neighbors' lawns to prepare for all this rain.

Something tells me I'll be dry thru tomorrow night, and pick up a tenth of an inch thru the end of the month.

Its going to be a very dry summer.

Dont look now but the cold front is hung up to the north, Saturday will be partly cloudy, 85 degrees and 67 dewpoints with an excellent chance of Washington DC getting hammered by severe thunderstorms.

Per usual, Dale City will be dry and about 27 degrees above normal.

7 hours ago, Jebman said:

I spent four hours mowing my lawn and two of my neighbors' lawns to prepare for all this rain.

Something tells me I'll be dry thru tomorrow night, and pick up a tenth of an inch thru the end of the month.

Its going to be a very dry summer.

Dont look now but the cold front is hung up to the north, Saturday will be partly cloudy, 85 degrees and 67 dewpoints with an excellent chance of Washington DC getting hammered by severe thunderstorms.

Per usual, Dale City will be dry and about 27 degrees above normal.

Good call on that cold front getting hung up. Your mid 80's forecast looks solid.

On 4/21/2017 at 3:54 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

I should block you for your disrespect :P 

Sorry, didn't mean any disrespect. It was just all in good fun.

But in all seriousness if the previous camera I showed you was still a little to complicated for you here is one that is even more user friendly. 

th?id=OIP.hrzkicyYsr8YTSANUeqvCgEsDm&w=2

This product line also has a very user friendly video camera if that would interest you. 

th?id=OIP.sJZIhSSxUKWYRzniTV0X5wEsC7&w=3

th?id=OIP.eyMnYbi_KAk9utbhqhpI3AEsDC&w=2

On 4/10/2017 at 7:03 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

...the nhl playoff seeding system is really atrocious.  Two of the 1st - 3rd regular season teams in the eastern conference are guaranteed to be eliminated in the first two rounds, while the 4th - 7th is guaranteed a spot in the conference finals.  If I was a Ranger's fan, I'd be stoked.

Just a comment, but the 1,2, 5 and 6 top regular season teams are left in the east but the top two play each other in round two. Dumb, unless you're a Rangers fan.  

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just a comment, but the 1,2, 5 and 6 top regular season teams are left in the east but the top two play each other in round two. Dumb, unless you're a Rangers fan.  

I don't follow the NHL but went and looked this up to make sure I was reading it correctly - that is , indeed, exceedingly dumb.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived