SnowHabit
April 1-3 Severe Threat

1900hurricane

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Weather Service in Jackson has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Warren County in west central Mississippi...
  Northwestern Hinds County in central Mississippi...

* Until 745 PM CDT

* At 648 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Vicksburg, moving northeast at 25 mph.

15 minutes ago, Buckeye05 said:

Looks like it tried to ramp back up for a frame, but I don't think it actually will. 

I have no idea if there's anything on the ground, but it looks pretty decent now as it's in some impressive parameters. It's a shame storm mode is so messy, this could've been an even more impressive event. 

3 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Just got on and saw it was a High Risk...why? I read the outlook and still don't get it. SRH is extremely high and what else? There isn't even a single sig report in the prelim. list. I didn't see the radar in the middle of the afternoon but was there any discrete activity where the high risk was outlined?

yes 3 discrete cells with a couple tornado emergencies and debris balls

note to all:  LCH and SHV often will have delayed LSR;s sometimes they don't pop up for a day or two

1 minute ago, Torchageddon said:

Just got on and saw it was a High Risk...why? I read the outlook and still don't get it. SRH is extremely high and what else? There isn't even a single sig report in the prelim. list. I didn't see the radar in the middle of the afternoon but was there any discrete activity where the high risk was outlined?

Give it time.  I'll use the example Patrick Marsh did on twitter with 4/26/2016. There were 3 tornado reports day of, ended up with over 40 tornadoes.  Also, there are areas that are sparsely populated where the strongest radar signatures were.  The reports will come in and I have no doubt that the outlook verified.

7 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

The image below shows the tornado emergencies issued (3) -- white icon with the black circle around it. It shows the spotter network reports (the white triangle outlines) and the radar confirmed tornadoes (the slighly transparent red / black icons) ... black was warning indicated LARGE tornadoes. There was definitely some real activity in the high risk area. The BRIGHT red triangle is an LSR. There is a lot we know and none of it is logged as local storm reports yet. 

480237_497210654002693_79853669966930848

5 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

There were most certainly significant tornadoes today. If you weren't following the situation and aren't bothering to read the last few pages, no reason to comment like that.

8 minutes ago, JasonOH said:

Give it time.  I'll use the example Patrick Marsh did on twitter with 4/26/2016. There were 3 tornado reports day of, ended up with over 40 tornadoes.  Also, there are areas that are sparsely populated where the strongest radar signatures were.  The reports will come in and I have no doubt that the outlook verified.

I'd add that not every high risk area has to turn into a massive event with several dozen tornadoes, particularly in this case with the *relatively* small high risk area as was mentioned earlier.

4 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Thanks for the info guys, I thought there must have been a delay with the reports on the SPC site.

Not so much a delay, but I can speak from experience... when you're busy throwing out tons of tornado warnings and follow up statements, writing down reports... getting an actual LSR on the computer out in the middle of the outbreak is the least of your concern. The local offices likely have a ton of LSRs they haven't submitted and will not submit until everything dies down. Its simply not as important as actually warning people about the ongoing threat.

Archived