Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Millennial kid of April Fools obs and pics

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Thanks man. This is one we knew would be really tough--so we all certainly had that down. It's just one of those storms where you could be ok or even good with the details but still wayyy off with the impacts (e.g. accums on paved surfaces).

I'm confused. You were arguing boundary layer? I was saying it wasn't the real issue verbatim. Even now I was 31.8 in the snow. But I also was meh on Boston and even that was overplayed lol. I admit not studying other areas...just somewhat happy Boston didn't get like 10" when we had 2-4. 

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I blew chunks in this one.

A Schwartz special of humble pie.

I'm glad I went conservative. I had 3-6" for BOS and 4-8" for NE Mass/ORH County and even that may be too much. As I said along with jbedenet, lots of red flags...warm mid-level temps, lack of a strong SLP in April, long duration E winds...this was a set-up that rated to bust in April.

To get a big late-season snowstorm, you usually need one of two things:

1) Arctic airmass: See 4/7/03

2) Wound up SLP: See 4/1/97 or 4/6/82

This had neither.

22 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Drone footage from Mt. Philo VT in the Champlain Valley:

Nice vid dude.

Funny how we have the technology to do these types of videos with not a whole lot of money respectively (obviously there are price ranges in drones though).  It wasn't too long ago that in order to get this kind of video you had to watch those "Over New England" or other PBS type fly over shows.   Very cool indeed.

Nice vid dude.

Funny how we have the technology to do these types of videos with not a whole lot of money respectively (obviously there are price ranges in drones though).  It wasn't too long ago that in order to get this kind of video you had to watch those "Over New England" or other PBS type fly over shows.   Very cool indeed.

That is true! Movie crews love it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Havent looked. Please tell me those are for the gyx northern zones. I cant cleanup another one of these for the birds. Jesus h what a mess.

Tuesday looks more focused in the high terrain of NH and at lot of western ME. But I wouldn't count out you seeing some accumulations.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

That's what we're saying about golfers around here. They'll be fine once they melt.

Some already have..lol, Opening days at the courses getting pushed back big time, Today was opening day of open water fishing for lakes and ponds..............:lol:

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

I'm glad I went conservative. I had 3-6" for BOS and 4-8" for NE Mass/ORH County and even that may be too much. As I said along with jbedenet, lots of red flags...warm mid-level temps, lack of a strong SLP in April, long duration E winds...this was a set-up that rated to bust in April.

To get a big late-season snowstorm, you usually need one of two things:

1) Arctic airmass: See 4/7/03

2) Wound up SLP: See 4/1/97 or 4/6/82

This had neither.

Nitpick:  I think '82 had both.  Temps were near zero in N. Maine 1-2 days before the storm.  (And record cold NYC north during.)

Added another inch-plus thru the day, a bit surprising given only light snow and temps 32-33.  Of course, that accum only happened atop existing snow - even my white pickup couldn't hold snow.  Now that the sun has lowered to mid-Jan angle, looks like the snow is petering out.  Doubt I had a tenth of those deluge precip numbers from E.Mass, but a snow core thru the 27" pack today yielded 10.35" SWE, almost 40% water content.  The multiple crusts had softened a bit, so I may have gotten a better sample than the ones 2 weeks and 6 weeks back.

Archived