Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Millennial kid of April Fools obs and pics

Ginx snewx

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea 1500 feet is what I mean't , fantastic winter, tons of powder days to boot, bet your legs are burn free by now.

You'd think that, but I'm pretty spent after today!  That dense snow takes some work.  It wasn't necessarily wet snow on the mountain, just dense...small flake stuff, lots of QPF but poor snow growth.  Over 2,000 vertical foot laps of that stuff in the trees is a good workout!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

You'd think that, but I'm pretty spent after today!  That dense snow takes some work.  It wasn't necessarily wet snow on the mountain, just dense...small flake stuff, lots of QPF but poor snow growth.  Over 2,000 vertical foot laps of that stuff in the trees is a good workout!

Best kind of tired there is and it makes the beer taste all the better.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is great, two more large events in the week. We flood. That should rest the drought monitor for awhile. Tons of rivers near bankfull locally

I predicted Kevin would be on the flood train this spring too. Floods, mosquitoes, and dews.

3 hours ago, nzucker said:

I'm glad I went conservative. I had 3-6" for BOS and 4-8" for NE Mass/ORH County and even that may be too much. As I said along with jbedenet, lots of red flags...warm mid-level temps, lack of a strong SLP in April, long duration E winds...this was a set-up that rated to bust in April.

To get a big late-season snowstorm, you usually need one of two things:

1) Arctic airmass: See 4/7/03

2) Wound up SLP: See 4/1/97 or 4/6/82

This had neither.

exactly, just had some meek leftovers from a modest at best canadian high in a lousy position and plenty of juice

this is one of the best posts yet

furthermore...again wtf with the models and their fantasy dramatic weather...i swear they have been given algorithms to promote wild solutions that do not materialize

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

exactly, just had some meek leftovers from a modest at best canadian high in a lousy position and plenty of juice

this is one of the best posts yet

furthermore...again wtf with the models and their fantasy dramatic weather...i swear they have been given algorithms to promote wild solutions that do not materialize

I think we went over this fairly well. You don't necessarily need an arctic airmass..although it helps. 4/3 last year wasn't exactly arctic. This storm was about 1C at 800mb off from getting widespread 12+. nrn MA still got 6-8" so not a terrible bust there. We all acknowledged the high bust potential fairly well, but it probably gets lost in the pollution of those phucking snow maps. Most of you weenies do it to yourselves. I don't know how many times I said this was not a snowmap storm. They do some funky sh*t with the output when you have marginal layers. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Congrats, while you are sipping Mai Tais your boys back home are going to have to deal with ice jams and spring flooding, afraid this real late season snow ain't a good thing with all the qpf in the pipeline

eps_slp_lows_neng_16.png

12z GEFS was similar at this hr. I'm intrigued, but this is more than likely too warm for me. Close enough to watch with some interest though. Portland ME, looks to get the goods. The ski resorts in the whites and SR should enjoy this one as well.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wxniss.....you were honestly too kind....no need to qualify your critique with the acknowledgement of how great I am.

Fact of the matter is that I puked all over myself, and some others deserve credit here for remaining conservative.

We are all adults....and we all, including me, have a lot to learn.

It's all good. There is definite value to doing this with gusto. And it's different from basing a call on wishcast or reverse psychology, and it's different from calling for Feb 78 on the Cape every week, all of which gets predictable and tiring. Making substantiated calls with confidence and then learning from our mistakes is exactly how we get a little better every year. I personally also respect that you actually put up numbers rather than just shifting innuendo. Most don't do that. In any case, the personalities and characters here are also part of why we return year after year. I still to this day miss conversations with Messenger, someone I've never actually met.

Like you said, while we inure to other things in life, somehow this never gets old. And there's a real void when the season ends.

6 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

12z GEFS was similar at this hr. I'm intrigued, but this is more than likely too warm for me. Close enough to watch with some interest though. Portland ME, looks to get the goods. The ski resorts in the whites and SR should enjoy this one as well.

Great SLP location for heavy snow all the way back to the Mtns and Northern Maine

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think we went over this fairly well. You don't necessarily need an arctic airmass..although it helps. 4/3 last year wasn't exactly arctic. This storm was about 1C at 800mb off from getting widespread 12+. nrn MA still got 6-8" so not a terrible bust there. We all acknowledged the high bust potential fairly well, but it probably gets lost in the pollution of those phucking snow maps. Most of you weenies do it to yourselves. I don't know how many times I said this was not a snowmap storm. They do some funky sh*t with the output when you have marginal layers. 

April 87 is a great example of a garbage airmass that destroyed us with heavy snow. And it didn't have anything like April 97 upper air. Sometimes it doesn't work out...it was said probably a million times this could go either way. 

I'll be charitable and call it 4 inches here by the North Beverly MBTA station. Did a lot of snowing but not a lot of accumulating. Was 34-36 degrees during entire storm.

Not a fantastic year for the North Shore. Pretty much every storm hit north of here, south of here or west of here and we got the table scraps, but enough to get a wee bit above climo. This isn't exactly the weenie zone of New England, we take what we get, and cherish it.

If you want the blues, visit the Mid-Atlantic forum.

17 minutes ago, mjd_tech said:

I'll be charitable and call it 4 inches here by the North Beverly MBTA station. Did a lot of snowing but not a lot of accumulating. Was 34-36 degrees during entire storm.

Not a fantastic year for the North Shore. Pretty much every storm hit north of here, south of here or west of here and we got the table scraps, but enough to get a wee bit above climo. This isn't exactly the weenie zone of New England, we take what we get, and cherish it.

If you want the blues, visit the Mid-Atlantic forum.

The north shore does fairly well. They cleaned up in our Nina years and are a KU hotspot due to OES contribution.   

Archived